Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Knot hairstyle - should I grow my hair long and get it?
06-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Top Knot hairstyle - should I grow my hair long and get it?
Hey there,
So I really like how the top knot (with undercut) looks and it seems to work well with most hair colours (mine is black-darkest brown). There are only two things I am worried about:

1. My head shape. It seems like most shapes work well with this style, but the back of my head is pretty flat. It has a very slight curve, so I was wondering if I could still pull of this look without a rounded head.

2. My hair type. I haven't ever really grew my hair out longer than 2 1/2 inches before, and I know for a top know you'll need quite a bit of hair (10 inches I've read../) However, my hair is wavy, and not very smooth. It doesn't look very good after shampooing, and I don't have a specific hair routine other than washing twice a week. Are there any tips for when I'm growing it out, before I can put it in the knot. I don't want to look like an idiot for months while growing it out, because it's not straight.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Growing your hair long so as to get a topknot hairstyle requires patience above all!
Your head shape should not be an obstacle in growing a top knot hairstyle. See our man bun hairstyle guide and our topknot hairstyle guide to see men with all kinds of head shapes and from all races wear such hairstyles. The better question would be, would you feel confident wearing a topknot on your head and growing your hair long enough to be able to tie it?

With 2.5 inches of hair length we're looking at almost a year of hair growth to be able to grow your hair to a topknot. The absolute minimum hair length for a top knot is 6 inches of hair length. However, we recommend to wait until the hair on the top of your head is 8 inches to tie a top knot. Depending on how big your head is, you will be putting a lot of stress on the hair follicles located on the front of your head if you decide to tie a top knot with only 6 inches of hair length.

Considering that you're looking at 8 to 12 months of hair growth, are you ready to embark on that journey? It will be your first time, but with the right hair care knowledge, your hair will grow healthy and you will not encounter any problems that make you lose hope and motivation. Browse through our Hair Care and Hairstyles forum section as we have some excellent male hair guides that will be of use to you.

Of the many hairstyle guides and hair care guides that we have in the linked section above, you will find in there our slicked back Undercut guide which will be very valuable to you as you grow your hair longer to a top knot as the slicked back Undercut is a great hairstyle to transition from short hair to a top knot.

Since you look a bit lost with regards to hair care and grooming, I would recommend that not only do you browse (and ask) this forum but also get yourself the book The Men's Hair Book which covers absolutely everything that you need to know about growing healthy and aesthetic hair for the many years to come. We call that book a hair encyclopedia in that it's a very valuable book to have at hand so that you can quickly scan it for any questions you may have.

It's a big book and full of great advice, so have a look at this review of The Men's Hair Book as well as the feedback from other members and get the book from the recommended official page or buy it at your local bookstore.

Building on from the above, have a look at our men's shampoo and conditioner discussion so as to know more about using a shampoo and a conditioner as you grow your hair longer. It's very important that you use a conditioner as your mane gets longer, and you should be using a conditioner at least twice a week and always after you shampoo. In fact, that's the reason for your hair not looking good after shampooing it: the lack of conditioner use.

Don't worry about not knowing the above or about hair care since most guys don't know about it, yet it's so important to know at least the basics when growing your hair longer. What usually happens is that a guy will decide to grow his hair long and give up half way through the year because he is tired of his hair looking like a ball of frizzy hair strands. If you learn more about hair care and use the advice that you acquire, I can guarantee you that you will grow your mane fast and solid.

Lastly, have a look at our men's hair nutrients discussion to learn more about the nutrients that benefit men's hair and which can potentially help you in growing your hair faster. However, bear in mind that your hair growth rate is imprinted in your genes; what that means is that your genes are responsible for you being able to grow close to an inch of hair per month or only 1/4 of an inch per month. You maximize your genetic potential through the right nutrients via your diet and any supplementation that you may need.

Feel free to start a thread on our Men's Hair Blogging section where you post updates of your hair growth and get feedback from other members. Since you will be literally embarking on a long journey of at least 8 months, you may want to keep us updated and get feedback and advice from others who follow your journey! Smile

By the way, I've upgraded your account in case that you want to post one or more pictures depicting your head shape for some feedback just in case. Likewise, you can also post images now anywhere you want including in our blogging section (just use IMGur to upload your pics in seconds and free).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 89 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 161 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 180 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Frohawk hairstyle and haircut: How to, Pictures TheMensHairForum 10 20,515 10-10-2016 08:45 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum