Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Top Knot Hairstyle Guide - How To, Tips, Pictures, Products and More
10-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Bug Top Knot Hairstyle Guide - How To, Tips, Pictures, Products and More
This is a guide on the top knot hairstyle. Also known as a topknot, this hairstyle is a variation of the man bun in that the hair is grown long enough to allow for its tying. However, the tied part of the hair (i.e. the knot) is not as big as the mass of hair in a man bun, and thus the hair in the top knot looks more like a knot than a bun.

About the top knot

Because the hair is only long enough to barely allow for its tying, the hair is thus tied at the top of the head. Ergo, the name "top knot". Because of said short length of the tied hair, usually the knot top hairstyle implies having the sides and back of the head clipped short so that the only hair that is left long is the hair on the top of the head. In fact, the top knot has been a favorite hairstyle of hipsters due to the short sides and back, and hipsters will usually combine their top knot with a hipster beard (a scruffy shaggy beard).

How much length for the top knot?

As said, the hair on the top of the head is typically the only head hair that is left long. To allow for the tying of a knot on the top of your head, you will need 8 inches of hair length which is about a year's hair growth if starting from a near shaved haircut.

The sides and back of the head are clipped short with a hair clipper. The clipper length to choose is anything between a #1 and a #3 (clip in a guiding comb and off you go). Buzzing the sides and back of your head with a hair clipper (using only one guiding comb) is extremely easy and convenient, which adds further appeal to the top knot hairstyle. However, a top knot does not necessarily have the sides and back of the head clipped, but aesthetic-wise, the hairstyle looks better with buzzed sides and back.

In this forum, we always recommend men to own a hair clipper as it's a very convenient and useful styling tool. As an example, a good hair clipper like THIS one here will allow you to cut your hair in plenty of manners and will make your buzz cuts an enjoyable experience as the hair clipper (in the link) is cordless, extremely powerful (will cut all thickness of hairs) and comes with the full hair clipper kit (including clipper lengths aka guiding combs!).

THIS TOP KNOT TUTORIAL CONTINUES BELOW

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Topknot tutorial.
How to tie a top knot?

The tying of a top knot is very easy and it follows the same method as for the tying of a man bun.

You will first need a hair elastic aka hair tie (get THIS cheap set of 36 hair elastics) and a good hairstyle cream (get THIS hairstyling cream). Make sure your hair is damp (i.e. after a shower) and then coat your hair with the hairstyling cream.

Once your mane is coated with the hairstyling cream, simply grab the hair on the top of your head so that it all meets anywhere from the center of your head to the back of the top of the head (i.e. vertex or crown). This is where the top knot will sit. Secure all the hair on the spot with your left hand (just grab the hair in a fist) and then use your other hand to tie the hair with the elastic.

Here at Men's Hair Forum, we have featured two hair tying videos for you to use as reference. The hair tying method is simple enough as it is, but with the videos it will become even easier.
  • Check this video for the actual process of tying a bun. These instructions are equally applicable to the top knot hairstyle.
  • Check this other video for the process of tying a more casual man bun. Again, these same instructions apply to a top knot (remember, the only difference is the length of the tied hair).
Pictures of top knots

I am posting below a long set of top knot pictures. You may post more pictures of the hairstyle and/or post comments, questions or suggestions.

As you can see in the pictures below, you can pretty much freestyle your top knot. The goal is to simply wear it somewhere along the top of your head, grabbing all the hair on the top of the head. The hipster beard is optional Big Grin

[Image: tumblr_n23x0y1UdF1s5jejuo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n21uppDIQU1s5jejuo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n1zn8238pz1s5jejuo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n59odwoduT1s5jejuo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n1t7jaEis41tuxapbo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mua6j1cZ6I1rvvc3io1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n0u6rkDImw1qepju1o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mx1sgofutP1qfvwg8o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n0jbjwt4zs1tpj44co1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mue2h0LUvc1qfvwg8o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n02pdnIwX71s5jejuo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_myxbjlEIOh1rew7eho1_r1_400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mxnxep817h1qd8hm0o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mw29tsi43b1qcqpi4o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mw6xk6ZSVE1qfvwg8o1_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_mqc6pwBRZk1rev68wo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mrl40aGvRT1rhrm24o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mm4jczNo631s5jejuo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mbmeqnXDoX1rzqdv8o1_1280.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-13-2014, 10:44 AM
RE: Top Knot Hairstyle Guide - How To, Tips, Pictures, Products and More
Love this top knot guide!! As someone who as seen our salon get filled up with more and more men with longer hair and top knots, I am glad that you mods of this forum are doing the effort to put these guides out.

About the knots ... not a fan of them tbh. I thought it was just a brief hairstyle trend for hipsters... how wrong I was Big Grin I think its importance to know that the hair elastics should be metal free. Their call as no damage elastics and actually that set of thirty six elastics you have in the link above is perfect as those are metal free. Just pointing this out as I have seen this advice given in other guides of this forum but didn't see it in this one Smile

I think the reason for the top knot trnd is because you only need enough length of hair to knot the hair. If you wanted a bun like a man bun then you would have to grow your hair way longer. Most guys following fashion trends cannot be bothered to wait any longer than a couple of months to grow their hair as by then they jump into the next hairstyle trend. You know how hipsters had the side sweeping hairstyle? then they moved to the topknot because they let their hair grow. Then cut the hair again Big Grin I have seen this same pattern in our salon. Whatever they do though -- they manage to have their beard at the same length all while growing their hair long. Interesting bunch.

Elena.
10-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Those are a lot of top knot pictures! Big Grin

I think this knot looks far more aesthetic than the plain man bun. A manbun requires more hair length and takes a lot of space. The topknot only takes a small space and ensures that the hair is cleaned from the scalp as in slicked back. If you simply imagine removing the knot from their hair, you would end up with a slick back hairstyle. We all know how a slick back style is always a winner just like the rest of classic hairstyles are. Then you have the buzzed lower part of the head which gives the hairstyle a cleaner look.

I think that the topknot blends a clean and classic slick look with a modern take on current hairstyling trends. Since the hair is much shorter than a man bun, once you get tired of the knot all you have to do is untie it and then slick the hair back with some pomade. Or style it some other way you fancy. With a man bun, you are pretty much limited to long hair, either on a bun, ponytail or dangling.
12-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Topknot Undercut hairstyle and barbershop haircuts to get the style!
We all know of the popularity of the man bun in 2014. However, the topknot hairstyle has also grown in popularity in itself, with the topknot being a variation of the man bun.

In the top knot hairstyle, a common styling option is to get a short haircut on the sides and back of the head; in fact, an Undercut with a topknot is a common hairstyle that is sharp and aesthetic. So as to continue to provide you all with the widest range of men's hairstyles online, here are 2 clear-cut pictures of the top knot Undercut.

[Image: 10844096_837923322930904_1693230293_n.jpg]

[Image: 10848281_324631714390564_1968548507_n.jpg]

The top knot hairstyle aka broknot is a very short man bun that has become more and more popular all throughout 2014 and will continue so for at least the next year.

As explained earlier, with the top knot hairstyle, you can either keep the sides and back of the head at any length you want, or you can keep the sides and back clipped very short in an Undercut. Most commonly and resulting in better hairstyle aesthetics, the top knot is combined with said Undercut haircut for what we call a Topknot Undercut.

The picture below is from the barbershop and how a client went from having just a-not-very-noticeable top knot to having a sharper hairstyle with the top knot being the most prominent feature. As a matter of fact, such is the benefit of the Undercut in that this type of haircut makes the styling of the top of the head more prominent and sharper (which also goes to explain why the Undercut continues to be one of the trendiest 2014 and 2015 haircuts to date).

[Image: 10848085_787947261268747_1884142551_n.jpg]

12-22-2014, 11:37 AM
It's a rather interesting look. Not sure I would try it though.
12-22-2014, 03:30 PM
(12-22-2014 11:28 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  We all know of the popularity of the man bun in 2014. However, the topknot hairstyle has also grown in popularity in itself, with the topknot being a variation of the man bun.

In the top knot hairstyle, a common styling option is to get a short haircut on the sides and back of the head; in fact, an Undercut with a topknot is a common hairstyle that is sharp and aesthetic. So as to continue to provide you all with the widest range of men's hairstyles online, here are 2 clear-cut pictures of the top knot Undercut.

The top knot hairstyle aka broknot is a very short man bun that has become more and more popular all throughout 2014 and will continue so for at least the next year.

As explained earlier, with the top knot hairstyle, you can either keep the sides and back of the head at any length you want, or you can keep the sides and back clipped very short in an Undercut. Most commonly and resulting in better hairstyle aesthetics, the top knot is combined with said Undercut haircut for what we call a Topknot Undercut.

The picture below is from the barbershop and how a client went from having just a-not-very-noticeable top knot to having a sharper hairstyle with the top knot being the most prominent feature. As a matter of fact, such is the benefit of the Undercut in that this type of haircut makes the styling of the top of the head more prominent and sharper (which also goes to explain why the Undercut continues to be one of the trendiest 2014 and 2015 haircuts to date).

What is the best hairstyle for curly hair men between the man bun and the top knot?
I ask because any time i try to tie a knot like that it kinda gets frizzy with the coils and kinks, my guess would be to wait for the curls to be longer and then style a man bun or at least a way bigger knot?
02-16-2015, 07:24 AM
(12-22-2014 03:30 PM)Robert Wrote:  What is the best hairstyle for curly hair men between the man bun and the top knot?
I ask because any time i try to tie a knot like that it kinda gets frizzy with the coils and kinks, my guess would be to wait for the curls to be longer and then style a man bun or at least a way bigger knot?

Mate having frizzy hair on the knot is common with curly hair. Cause the topknot is a shorter hairstyle than the man bun, there is not enough hair length to tame the frizz in the topknot. My suggestion for curly hair guys like you would be to try to get more of a bun going on rather than a knot. That way you can take advantage of the curled pattern of the tied hair and close the bun.

I takes longer to grow a man bun compared to a topknot. But IMO curly hair looks better with a full bun rather than just a knot made of the hair above the head. Also good curly hair care is essential to fight the frizz but i know your long term forum member and know what's the deal with curly hair care anyway. But for the record the key with curly hair and frizz is using a conditioner. I would style a topknot with a leave-in conditioner, or even a manbun with a leave-in conditioner.
03-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Nice guide man, thanks.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 624,534 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,154 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 111,797 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight
  Middle Part Curtains Hairstyle Guide: How To Style, Pictures, Products and more TheMensHairForum 13 68,726 06-15-2016 03:04 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum