Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips to grow kinky afro hair long?
05-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Tips to grow kinky afro hair long?
Sup all, I have typical african american hair (kinky hair type) and it is at a medium length right now. Im thinking of growing it long, some 8-10 inches so my afro grow bigger. What are some good tips to take into account to grow a tight longer afro?
I use a hair cream and coconut butter already to keep my afro fresh and wear a do rag most the time to protect my hair. As my afro grows I am finding it becomes harder to look after.
Thank you for the help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2013, 11:19 PM
RE: Tips to grow kinky afro hair long?
Welcome to the forum AfroJay! Good question you've posted.

You're on good track by making sure that your kinks remain moisturized as many men with kinky (and other curly hair types) make the big mistake of allowing their hair to become dry. Some good tips to follow to grow a long afro:
  • Be on the lookout for knots. Have a hair pick at hand and detangle whenever knots are formed
  • Protect your hair at nighttime with a sleeping cap. Put a little bit of conditioner before putting on the sleeping cap.
  • Keep an eye out for the shape as the afro grows, you want to keep an even shape that follows that of your head.
  • Be patient, kinky hair is notorious for taking very long to show any signs of growing
  • Find a hairdresser who knows your hair type and has experience with curly hair

I think the above are some good tips to consider although wait for more answers as we have some members in the forum with tight curly hair who can offer their advice too.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Long afros rock! if only I coudl grow one...
05-15-2013, 06:45 PM
(05-14-2013 10:30 PM)AfroJay Wrote:  Sup all, I have typical african american hair (kinky hair type) and it is at a medium length right now. Im thinking of growing it long, some 8-10 inches so my afro grow bigger. What are some good tips to take into account to grow a tight longer afro?
I use a hair cream and coconut butter already to keep my afro fresh and wear a do rag most the time to protect my hair. As my afro grows I am finding it becomes harder to look after.
Thank you for the help.

I agree on keeping the kinks moisturized. A big problem with kinky hair (afro textured hair) is that it can become dry very fast, so apply butters and oils like coconut butter when the hair is damp. Especially apply the butters/oils on the tips!
05-18-2013, 07:36 PM
(05-15-2013 06:45 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  
(05-14-2013 10:30 PM)AfroJay Wrote:  Sup all, I have typical african american hair (kinky hair type) and it is at a medium length right now. Im thinking of growing it long, some 8-10 inches so my afro grow bigger. What are some good tips to take into account to grow a tight longer afro?
Thank you for the help.

I agree on keeping the kinks moisturized. A big problem with kinky hair (afro textured hair) is that it can become dry very fast, so apply butters and oils like coconut butter when the hair is damp. Especially apply the butters/oils on the tips!

what would be good for moisturing the hair (afro)? thanks
05-20-2013, 09:21 PM
(05-18-2013 07:36 PM)Tyrone92 Wrote:  
Thank you for the help.

Good hair moisturizing products for afro textured hair include coconut butter, shea butter, extra virgin olive oil and glycerin. Or you could get a leave in conditioner and coat the tips of the hair when styling.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-21-2013, 06:35 PM
(05-20-2013 09:21 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(05-18-2013 07:36 PM)Tyrone92 Wrote:  
Thank you for the help.

Good hair moisturizing products for afro textured hair include coconut butter, shea butter, extra virgin olive oil and glycerin. Or you could get a leave in conditioner and coat the tips of the hair when styling.

does it have to be pure oils (like olive oil) and butters or is it possible to use a hair product that has them as ingredients together with other synthetic ingredients?
05-24-2013, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 09:36 PM by AfroJay.)
(05-21-2013 06:35 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  does it have to be pure oils (like olive oil) and butters or is it possible to use a hair product that has them as ingredients together with other synthetic ingredients?

hey Toulalan I believe we have the same hair type. Coconut butter for me is great on my kinks, I normally get a mixed product that has the coconut butter ingredient high up on the list (a trick i learnt in Rogelio's book).
05-25-2013, 04:21 AM
(05-21-2013 06:35 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  does it have to be pure oils (like olive oil) and butters or is it possible to use a hair product that has them as ingredients together with other synthetic ingredients?

You can use either but is is important that the product that has other synthetic ingredients contains a good percentage of the oils or butters it says it has. Be careful as there are some putrid hair companies especially in the "natural hair" niche that claim their products are "pure" or "natural" and have so much rats in the bottle the product is anything but natural.

05-26-2013, 04:35 PM
If you are going to grow your kinky hair to long lengths, keeping the tips of the locks sealed and protected with extra virgin olive oil is an excellent way to preserve your tips. You can use other natural oils and butters too.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-26-2013, 06:30 PM
So what are some good natural oils and butters one can buy in Amazon??
05-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Zorba, I followed Rogelio's recommendation (from his book) of using extra virgin olive oil on the tips of my kinks. It helps a bunch in keeping my locks smoother and not getting split ends.
05-28-2013, 10:06 PM
(05-26-2013 06:30 PM)Zorba Wrote:  So what are some good natural oils and butters one can buy in Amazon??

You can buy pure shea butter and then melt it and apply it to your hair. Buy this one Pure Shea Butter 100% organic from West Africa

Or you can get this creamier shea butter, Now Foods Shea Butter

I love shea butter for my skin and sometimes for my hair as a butter. I prefer the raw version as I can mix it with other oils so maybe buy both the raw rock version and the creamy version then test which one you prefer Smile

I agree with AfroJay too on extra virgin olive oil, this is something I picked from Rogelio as he swears by this oil (and you can see how healthy his curls are Big Grin). The best olive oil is from Spain and I use mine to season food too and to cook. Buy this olive oil from Spain (I use this one and it lasts a long time). Put some oilve oil on your kinks tips when the hair is wet, the oil makes the hair bullet proof!! Big Grin
05-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Good oils recommendations Jurgen. I too use the Extra Virgin olive oil, it's an acquired taste for cooking, love it. And is so useful for hair and even a very small amount in the scalp can help keep it healthy (olive oil has lotsa vitamin E).

06-02-2013, 10:18 PM
So many tips awesome yall! Ok, if I go with the theory of kinky afro hair been the same "relative" length as other hair types but only been shorter in its coiled status, if one were to soften his kinks with S curl or something like a texturizer would you then suddenly have more visible hair length? I am curious Smile
06-02-2013, 10:20 PM
(05-24-2013 09:34 PM)AfroJay Wrote:  hey Toulalan I believe we have the same hair type. Coconut butter for me is great on my kinks, I normally get a mixed product that has the coconut butter ingredient high up on the list (a trick i learnt in Rogelio's book).

Oh AfroJay thanks bro. So if the ingredient is one of the first listed it means it has the highest percent of presence in the product?
06-03-2013, 01:52 PM
hey bro dats right. Higher up = more of it in the product. I bought some shea butter from the link in Jurgens post. Liking it so far.
06-03-2013, 02:48 PM
(06-02-2013 10:18 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  So many tips awesome yall! Ok, if I go with the theory of kinky afro hair been the same "relative" length as other hair types but only been shorter in its coiled status, if one were to soften his kinks with S curl or something like a texturizer would you then suddenly have more visible hair length? I am curious Smile

Hi Toulalan,

Correct, you would be gaining more, as I have coined, visible length. However, your actual hair length (which I have coined extended length) will still be the same.

You see, kinky hair is so tightly coiled that it can easily coil back to 1/3 of its extended (i.e. flattened length) simply because kinks bend and curve so deeply that they take a lot of length to grow vertically. In my books, I use a depiction of a straight road and a road with lots of bends along its length; kinky hair would be the road with the most amounts of bends whereas straight hair would be the straight road.

By loosening up the kinks, you are loosening up the tight bends that make up the length of your hair and would thus be gaining more of that visible length mentioned above. But your hair will still be the same extended length as prior to loosening up the kinks!

Let me know if you got any questions, buddy.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How can I get rid of frizzy hair? Tips and products to use MFP73 5 1,259 10-18-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  How long to grow medium afro hairstyle for wavy hair? R.mendez099 1 461 07-30-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: PrettyboiJ21
  Long Curly Hairstyles For Men Guide with Pictures Gallery TheMensHairForum 2 847 06-11-2016 11:39 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Bug Help defining curls in Coiled/Kinky Hair PersonaSound 0 302 06-11-2016 09:38 AM
Last Post: PersonaSound