Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips on how to use a curling iron for men? expert help
10-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Tips on how to use a curling iron for men? expert help
I have a curling iron and so far it is going great. I have read the topics on the forum but do you have any extra tips on how to use a curling iron for men? perhaps the only problem i have is with my hair which is sometimes a bit hard to curl. I will get the curls going good but after a few hours i find the hold of the curl is loose. Not always does this happen but i have noticed it.

So many i am doing something wrong? Only really found this problem when it was really hot over here with a lot of humidity. Before that i had no issues. Would love to hear some good tips on using curling irons for guys. Thank you! Cool
I also have another question about curling irons... but i am going to start another thread for that question so we keep this about how to use tips.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 01:18 PM
RE: Tips on how to use a curling iron for men? expert help
While some factors do account for your hair being hard to curl (including too little conditioning and too much heat), the following seven curling iron tips will help to solve your hair issues.

Make sure the ends of the hair are well trimmed

When the ends of your hair are not well-trimmed, you will notice splits ends and breakage - making heat styling a "No-No!" When you do curl hair that has not been trimmed for several months it is more likely to hang limp since your hair has undergone so much from all of the brushing, washing, and heat styling. Hair that has been trimmed within six to eight weeks will yield a healthy flip when it is curled with a curling iron.

If the ends of your hair are fine and not split, then there is no need to trim them though.

Use a lower heat setting

You will notice an improvement in your hair's ability to hold the shaped curls when you stop using the highest setting of your iron and instead use a lower heat setting. When I have used the highest setting in the past, my hair would get straightened but would not curl at the ends very well. Overheating or frying your hair damages your hair much like over processing it with chemicals, which all result in dull, limp, and frizzy hair.

Spray hair with a heat-activated curling spray

Spraying your hair with heat-activated spray is a must since it protects hair from heat damage. In addition, it tames your hair by keeping each curl intact, locks out humidity that causes frizz, and increases definition and bounce. One of my favorite conditioning formulas is a heat-activated curling spray designed by L'oreal Paris.

Apply anti-frizz smoothing serum to ends of hair

A very effective solution for hard-to-curl hair is applying an anti-frizz serum to the ends of dry hair before using a curling iron. Its purpose is to smooth the ends of your hair while controlling frizz and flyaways. Using smoothing serum reduces hair breakage and makes your curls noticeably shinier. You can read the recommended products thread for the sort of creams recommended by the guys here.

Avoid using your curling iron immediately after perming and coloring

While it is important that your hair is clean prior to curling it with a curling iron, it is vital to wait at least one day after perming or coloring your hair before heat styling. The reasoning behind this is that your hair is the rawest immediately after processing it with chemicals. Your relaxer or perm needs a chance to "marinate" before your hair will look its best with heat styling.

Use a hair masque when washing hair

A hair masque is a concentrated conditioner that you apply and leave on your hair for three minutes after shampooing and rinsing. When used every time you wash your hair, it restores damaged hair as its vitamins penetrate each strand to seal in moisture for maximum smoothness and shine. Using a curling iron afterwards on dry hair results in healthy, vibrant curls.

Use a ceramic curling iron

I never saw lasting curls in my hair until I replaced my metal curling iron with a ceramic iron. Curling irons with ceramic plating distribute heat evenly instead of creating "hot spots" like metal curling irons. Ceramic curling irons eliminate frizz and damage while creating silky smooth hair.

On a final note, by practicing these hair care tips and many more, you will simplify your efforts of curling your hair with a curling iron. The minor issue you have experienced is not so much about the type of hair you have as it is the treatment of your hair. When you trim your hair, apply the right amount of heat at the right time, and properly condition your hair, you will enjoy more defined, shinier and bouncier curls.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Use heat tamer product with ionic flat iron to straighten hair? Curly Dude 2 640 03-29-2015 07:33 AM
Last Post: Bradley
  Best materials for curling irons? Alex 3 1,148 03-28-2015 12:07 AM
Last Post: Fidel92
Question Layrite vs Suavecito? Expert hairstyle pomade advice please! Stevens 13 26,167 03-05-2015 07:33 AM
Last Post: Bradley
  Tips on how to buy a hair dryer for men? Robert 4 2,201 01-14-2015 10:32 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1