Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for black mens hair and afro hair
11-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Tips for black mens hair and afro hair
I mostly know these tips from reading the forum but we could have this thread for black mens hair tips. Afro hair or kinky curly with some advice for those folks who need some quick tips and what not. Still some great info in the forum but post some condensed hair tips for black guys.
Mine would be keep your kinks moisturized with conditioner and oils. Shea butter and coconut butter are awesome for this. Yours?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2014, 06:13 PM
RE: Tips for black mens hair and afro hair
Kinky curly hair which is also known as afro hair is very delicate because the hair curls around itself and creates weak points through the strands. This makes the hair easy to break off. So the first tip is:

Only style with your fingers or an afro pick.

Some more tips below.

Use a good shampoo: not just that but also find the right frequency of shampooing for you. Lots of info in this thread.

Keep hair and scalp moisturised and hydrated: water is you friend. You can wet your hair and not shampoo if you don't want to shampoo that day. Also drink plenty of water!

Use a hair conditioner: you will be surprised how many guys with curly hair and afro hair come to our unisex hair salon without knowing a thing about conditioners. Luckily the word is spreading thanks to this forum and the curly hair book! Smile

Avoid using damaging items in your hair: avoid anything with metal or plastic (headbands, elastic bands etc). Only use metal free elastic bands if tying your hair. Only thing that can be metallic is the afro pick!

Protect your mane while you sleep: this one is really important but it's rare for guys to do it. Use a silk pillow casing for your pillow and a sleeping cap. You can even use a dorag but make sure it is not super tight on the hair.
11-23-2014, 07:55 PM
RE: Tips for black mens hair and afro hair
(11-22-2014 06:13 PM)ElenaTheBarber Wrote:  Protect your mane while you sleep: this one is really important but it's rare for guys to do it. Use a silk pillow casing for your pillow and a sleeping cap. You can even use a dorag but make sure it is not super tight on the hair.

The first time I read about silk/satin pillow cases I ordered one for my wife and I both. I've used it ever since and even took it with me on vacation last week. I don't know how much different my hair would be without it, but I do know that I can feel a major difference when I move my head around on the pillow. Definitely a good option to add to the healthy hair equation.
11-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Great afro hair tips for men!
(11-23-2014 07:55 PM)Unshorn Wrote:  
(11-22-2014 06:13 PM)ElenaTheBarber Wrote:  Protect your mane while you sleep: this one is really important but it's rare for guys to do it. Use a silk pillow casing for your pillow and a sleeping cap. You can even use a dorag but make sure it is not super tight on the hair.

The first time I read about silk/satin pillow cases I ordered one for my wife and I both. I've used it ever since and even took it with me on vacation last week. I don't know how much different my hair would be without it, but I do know that I can feel a major difference when I move my head around on the pillow. Definitely a good option to add to the healthy hair equation.

The trick of silk pillow cases is a great one and goes far back into The Curly Hair Book who was first to recommend this trick to men. It reduces friction between the hair strands and the head/pillow which is very useful for men with curly hair (wavy, coiled or kinky curly). Although this is more of an issue for any hair that is beyond the medium length (i.e. over 2 inches in length).

Some good tips mentioned. Kinky curly hair does take some testing to get the best of it. you should really be trying a conditioner, dropping your shampoo use (in terms of frequency) and also playing around with natural oils such as coconut butter, shea butter and even extra virgin olive oil. These oils are to be applied to the tips of the hair strands to protect them and seal in the moisture.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wavy hair on top is silky and shiny but hair on sides is dry kail461 0 804 09-09-2015 06:01 AM
Last Post: kail461
  Tips for Natural Hair Men on Styling, Hair Care and Haircuts Sunset 1 1,656 07-01-2015 10:13 AM
Last Post: Freddie
  New guy On here kinky afro Dragonflame476 0 901 06-22-2015 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dragonflame476
  What is Henna? Is henna for men and ok for mens hairstyles? Cool Hair Guy 1 5,144 06-20-2015 01:36 PM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber