Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tigi Bed Head not soft.
12-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Thumbs Down Tigi Bed Head not soft.
i bought this wax, few days ago

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F64...ag=atft-20

so today i tried to apply it, it was so hard, it didnt look like it was going to work.

what might caused this? is there a way to make this stuff smooth?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2013, 02:02 PM
RE: Tigi Bed Head not soft.
Yes, put a fingertip in your palm and then rub your palms together so that the wax becomes less solid. The spread the wax across your fingers to style.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-10-2013, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 09:00 PM by Midnite.)
The product in the container is supposed to hard like candle wax. You need to put it in your palm and work it in with your hands kind of like your warming up your hands but slower. Do this for maybe 10-15 seconds until the product in your hands becomes spread out and doesn't look white anymore. You will find many products with the similar hard consistency out of the container like this one, just work it in your palms. Also, when you're doing using it, make sure you screw/close the lid all the way or air will harden the wax even more.
12-11-2013, 08:52 AM
(12-10-2013 08:59 PM)Midnite Wrote:  The product in the container is supposed to hard like candle wax. You need to put it in your palm and work it in with your hands kind of like your warming up your hands but slower. Do this for maybe 10-15 seconds until the product in your hands becomes spread out and doesn't look white anymore. You will find many products with the similar hard consistency out of the container like this one, just work it in your palms. Also, when you're doing using it, make sure you screw/close the lid all the way or air will harden the wax even more.

Excellent post, Midnite Wink

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-11-2013, 12:47 PM
@TheMensHairForum

can you pls take a look at my account, private message is not working.

@midnite
hmm.. coz my hands are always dry, its going to be a problem, i guess i should make them a little wet with water then do what you said.
12-11-2013, 02:41 PM
(12-11-2013 12:47 PM)choco00934141 Wrote:  @TheMensHairForum

can you pls take a look at my account, private message is not working.

@midnite
hmm.. coz my hands are always dry, its going to be a problem, i guess i should make them a little wet with water then do what you said.

I already mentioned it to you in another thread. You need 50 posts for private messaging.

12-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Choco- I never have my hands wet when putting product in my hands. You just have to accept the fact that the wax isn't going to be a paste and need to work them into your hands. It's going to be sticky, it's going to be dry, but it will get the work done.
12-13-2013, 01:02 PM
I have to agree here, this product is a lot harder than other waxes. When you work this through your hands you're still left with small clumps of product all over.
12-13-2013, 01:16 PM
(12-13-2013 01:02 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  I have to agree here, this product is a lot harder than other waxes. When you work this through your hands you're still left with small clumps of product all over.

A trick I recommend is to scoop out a good amount hair wax, put it in a bowl or plate and microwave it for a couple of seconds so that it liquifies. I have done this before with hair wax and also with coconut butter (which is an excellent hair conditioner) and it works.

By the time you take the hair wax from the microwave and coat your fingers with it it will have the perfect texture to start styling the hair.

Also bear in mind that it is winter season now and depending where you live, the hair wax can get very hard so make sure you store your hair wax in a warm room such as in the bathroom inside a cabinet.

12-13-2013, 02:01 PM
(12-13-2013 01:16 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(12-13-2013 01:02 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  I have to agree here, this product is a lot harder than other waxes. When you work this through your hands you're still left with small clumps of product all over.

A trick I recommend is to scoop out a good amount hair wax, put it in a bowl or plate and microwave it for a couple of seconds so that it liquifies. I have done this before with hair wax and also with coconut butter (which is an excellent hair conditioner) and it works.

By the time you take the hair wax from the microwave and coat your fingers with it it will have the perfect texture to start styling the hair.

Also bear in mind that it is winter season now and depending where you live, the hair wax can get very hard so make sure you store your hair wax in a warm room such as in the bathroom inside a cabinet.

I've never thought of this before, but it sounds like a great idea haha. How long do you usually heat it for?
12-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Probably 5-10 seconds, I never tried this and probably won't. Not sure what the micro waves will do to the product.
12-13-2013, 02:40 PM
I doubt it will do anything serious, but I guess it can potentially change the product. Anyone know anything about this?
12-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Microwaving the hair wax will be fine, I have done it many times when it got too hard as I have done it for coconut butter too. It will simply melt it to a better consistency.

The one thing to watch out, as I mentioned in my reply, is to scoop out the hair wax into a bowl or plate (ceramic or glass will do just fine). Some plastics are not good to be microwaved and I don't have the TIGI hair wax with me right now but I'm fairly sure the plastic it comes in is not microwavable. Yes, 20 seconds or so will be fine, just play with the time, not too too long as otherwise the hair wax will become too liquid-y and will be a mess too coat your fingers with Smile

12-14-2013, 07:20 AM
(12-13-2013 03:50 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Microwaving the hair wax will be fine, I have done it many times when it got too hard as I have done it for coconut butter too. It will simply melt it to a better consistency.

The one thing to watch out, as I mentioned in my reply, is to scoop out the hair wax into a bowl or plate (ceramic or glass will do just fine). Some plastics are not good to be microwaved and I don't have the TIGI hair wax with me right now but I'm fairly sure the plastic it comes in is not microwavable. Yes, 20 seconds or so will be fine, just play with the time, not too too long as otherwise the hair wax will become too liquid-y and will be a mess too coat your fingers with Smile

I am just going to add the following to my post above in case some think that microwaving anything is OK.

The above trick is a trick that has worked for me with several hair products, including wax. I have been in this industry for years and know what the products have and do. However, some hair waxes include shady chemical ingredients added to enhance the product and you can never be 100% sure how they will respond to microwaving.

As said the above is what works for me and you should not be needing to microwave hair wax because hair wax even when solid will melt if you rub your palms hard enough. Any crumples simply squeeze them between your fingers and rub again. If you are finding crumples in your hair wax you are either not rubbing your hands strong enough, you live in a very cold place or the hair wax you are using is garbage.

And to reiterate what I also said in my previous post, only microwave with glass or ceramic containers! Never put in the microwave metals or certain plastics. In the case of the TIGI Bed Head hair wax I cannot recall the plastic type which is why I said I just scoop it and put it into a ceramic plate. Also, be careful when microwaving stuff because it may be hotter than it looks and you may burn yourself. From my findings, using low heat for 10-20 seconds for this hair wax helped melt it and it didn't get hot enough to burn my fingers. But please, if you are going to do this follow the above and always start with the lowest time and always LOWEST heat in the microwave.

Microwaving is great for helping melt stuff that has solidified such as food products that have frozen. I use this microwave trick to melt coconut butter and other natural butter for my hair and it works neatly.

You can never be too safe and it is my/our duty to fully inform you of what's what, hence this follow up post Wink

12-14-2013, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 03:03 PM by Jurgen.)
(12-10-2013 10:14 AM)choco00934141 Wrote:  i bought this wax, few days ago

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F64...ag=atft-20

so today i tried to apply it, it was so hard, it didnt look like it was going to work.

what might caused this? is there a way to make this stuff smooth?

I have microwaved coconut butter too, never hair wax but if TheMensHairForum has done it must be for a very good reason, he knows his stuff.
But yeah follow his precautions and I have bought that same hair wax OP and I found it not too hard to melt and spread rubbing my hands. Its winter time for me and many products including viscous creams get a bit harder when it is winter , it is normal with the low temperatures.
And follow the tip of keeping the hair wax in the bathroom inside a cabinet or a cover like TMHF also mentioned. Somewhere in your house where it isnt cold.

(12-14-2013 07:20 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(12-13-2013 03:50 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Microwaving the hair wax will be fine, I have done it many times when it got too hard as I have done it for coconut butter too. It will simply melt it to a better consistency.

I am just going to add the following to my post above in case some think that microwaving anything is OK.

The above trick is a trick that has worked for me with several hair products, including wax. I have been in this industry for years and know what the products have and do. However, some hair waxes include shady chemical ingredients added to enhance the product and you can never be 100% sure how they will respond to microwaving.

As said the above is what works for me and you should not be needing to microwave hair wax because hair wax even when solid will melt if you rub your palms hard enough. Any crumples simply squeeze them between your fingers and rub again. If you are finding crumples in your hair wax you are either not rubbing your hands strong enough, you live in a very cold place or the hair wax you are using is garbage.

And to reiterate what I also said in my previous post, only microwave with glass or ceramic containers! Never put in the microwave metals or certain plastics. In the case of the TIGI Bed Head hair wax I cannot recall the plastic type which is why I said I just scoop it and put it into a ceramic plate. Also, be careful when microwaving stuff because it may be hotter than it looks and you may burn yourself. From my findings, using low heat for 10-20 seconds for this hair wax helped melt it and it didn't get hot enough to burn my fingers. But please, if you are going to do this follow the above and always start with the lowest time and always LOWEST heat in the microwave.

Microwaving is great for helping melt stuff that has solidified such as food products that have frozen. I use this microwave trick to melt coconut butter and other natural butter for my hair and it works neatly.

You can never be too safe and it is my/our duty to fully inform you of what's what, hence this follow up post Wink
12-14-2013, 08:32 PM
nice tips, i wont be using the microwave method though.

@menshairtalk (admin)
i already have 50+ posts, cant access my profile or private message Sad
12-15-2013, 04:50 AM
(12-14-2013 08:32 PM)choco00934141 Wrote:  nice tips, i wont be using the microwave method though.

@menshairtalk (admin)
i already have 50+ posts, cant access my profile or private message Sad

I have just double checked your account and you were already upgraded to the Super Poster status (see the name under your username). You should be able to send PMs already as you got the full privileges when you hit 50 posts.

If for some reason you still can't, then let me know in this troubleshooting thread.

I have just sent you a PM to test you can receive them so let me know there if you got it.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bed Head Mega Whip replacement? jdubbs 0 623 12-22-2015 01:56 PM
Last Post: jdubbs
  Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo not working King Mustard 1 570 09-23-2015 09:30 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  TIGI Matte Styling Wax vs Gatsby Hair Wax Mat Type Style GoodHair 0 1,058 06-16-2015 01:24 PM
Last Post: GoodHair
Star TIGI Bed Head UP FRONT Pomade review tommiyeah 2 2,925 05-07-2015 01:30 PM
Last Post: tommiyeah