Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on thinning out hair?
03-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Thoughts on thinning out hair?
I had a friend tell me that if you have super thick hair a barber/stylist can take the bulk out of your hair. I would like to try it but as I'm growing my hair out I don't want them to cut any length off. What are your thoughts on this? is it worth the risk of going in and chopping my hair up or do you guys have any experience with this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2015, 12:26 PM
RE: Thoughts on thinning out hair?
Nah mate don't thin out your hair. You will just cut out your hair growing efforts. Wait until you have your hair length goal and then thin it out if you want although it really isn't needed. Also thinning out hair isn't because of thick hair is because of having plenty of density on the head Smile you're probably aware of this already as the guys in the forum are always talking about it but just in case anyone else reads out.

Also sometimes hairdressers will make up stuff you don't really need so you just go in and pay more. I know that as I'm a barber and see it every day although it isn't my style personally. Some barbers will really over do it. Horses for courses tho.
03-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks it's really helpful to get a point of view from an actual barber
03-28-2015, 01:22 PM
I am not a barber like Bradley but I was talking to my hairdresser the other day about my goal to grow my curly hair long in the summer. I still have a couple of month with short hair but as soon as summer starts I want to grow curls long.

I asked my hairdresser about thinning my hair as it is very thick and he told me to wait until I got to my hairstyle goal. He said something very similar to Bradley about how thinning hair makes it shorter on some parts so you're delaying the growth. My previous hairdresser had told me about thinning my hair if I were to grow it a bit longer but I never got it thinned out.

I change hairdressers as I found the one I had really wasn't cutting it lol So I got a new hairdresser who has a hair salon for men and women, he cuts my sister's curly hair too and he's really good with curly hair. I recently decided to grow my curls long so I visited him just to get my sides polished and one of the topics of the conversation we had was about thinning hair. He said what I've just told you, he explained what the process does and it actually makes sense not to thin our you hair when growing to a length you want.

He also said thinning hair is fine when you get to your goal. My 2 cents!
03-29-2015, 09:26 PM
(03-28-2015 01:22 PM)Curly Dude Wrote:  I am not a barber like Bradley but I was talking to my hairdresser the other day about my goal to grow my curly hair long in the summer. I still have a couple of month with short hair but as soon as summer starts I want to grow curls long.

I asked my hairdresser about thinning my hair as it is very thick and he told me to wait until I got to my hairstyle goal. He said something very similar to Bradley about how thinning hair makes it shorter on some parts so you're delaying the growth. My previous hairdresser had told me about thinning my hair if I were to grow it a bit longer but I never got it thinned out.

I change hairdressers as I found the one I had really wasn't cutting it lol So I got a new hairdresser who has a hair salon for men and women, he cuts my sister's curly hair too and he's really good with curly hair. I recently decided to grow my curls long so I visited him just to get my sides polished and one of the topics of the conversation we had was about thinning hair. He said what I've just told you, he explained what the process does and it actually makes sense not to thin our you hair when growing to a length you want.

He also said thinning hair is fine when you get to your goal. My 2 cents!

Thanks for the insight. Yea I'm just gonna wait it out as I have already started growing my hair and don't want to delay it anymore
04-01-2015, 01:53 PM
(03-27-2015 12:26 PM)Bradley Wrote:  Nah mate don't thin out your hair. You will just cut out your hair growing efforts. Wait until you have your hair length goal and then thin it out if you want although it really isn't needed. Also thinning out hair isn't because of thick hair is because of having plenty of density on the head Smile you're probably aware of this already as the guys in the forum are always talking about it but just in case anyone else reads out.

Also sometimes hairdressers will make up stuff you don't really need so you just go in and pay more. I know that as I'm a barber and see it every day although it isn't my style personally. Some barbers will really over do it. Horses for courses tho.

I will buy you a beer if one day we ever meet dude! Every time I go to my hairdresser he thins out my hair without me asking. I have thick hair and he says that my hair needs to be thinned out. Even when I told him that I wanted to grow my hair longer he told me it was impossible with my thick hair and that I needed it to be thinned out. It didn't make sense to me at the time and still doesn't make sense either. What makes sense is what you've said.

Of course if you're cutting length from the hair when you're thinning it out then it's obvious the hair will not grow as long or as fast. Man I'm a complete rookie with hairstyles and I bought the mens hair book to kickstart my knowledge which so far is working great. You know when I heard my hairdresser tell me he was going to thin out my hair for some reason I thought he was doing anything but trimming length from my hair. My hairdresser is good with scissors so I thought he was working some of his magic and not just removing length to give out an illusion of less hair bulk. All these years of lies! lol

Since I want to try out new hair styles I think I'm going to grow my hair longer. It's good you posted that about thinning out hair because I would have otherwise continue getting my hair thinned out while pointlessly trying to grow my hair longer as fast as possible.

Sorry for the question if it's answered already in the forum, but is there then any point in going to the hairdresser when growing your hair long?
04-01-2015, 05:33 PM
(04-01-2015 01:53 PM)US Asian Wrote:  
(03-27-2015 12:26 PM)Bradley Wrote:  Nah mate don't thin out your hair. You will just cut out your hair growing efforts. Wait until you have your hair length goal and then thin it out if you want although it really isn't needed. Also thinning out hair isn't because of thick hair is because of having plenty of density on the head Smile you're probably aware of this already as the guys in the forum are always talking about it but just in case anyone else reads out.

I will buy you a beer if one day we ever meet dude! Every time I go to my hairdresser he thins out my hair without me asking. I have thick hair and he says that my hair needs to be thinned out. Even when I told him that I wanted to grow my hair longer he told me it was impossible with my thick hair and that I needed it to be thinned out. It didn't make sense to me at the time and still doesn't make sense either. What makes sense is what you've said.

Of course if you're cutting length from the hair when you're thinning it out then it's obvious the hair will not grow as long or as fast. Man I'm a complete rookie with hairstyles and I bought the mens hair book to kickstart my knowledge which so far is working great. You know when I heard my hairdresser tell me he was going to thin out my hair for some reason I thought he was doing anything but trimming length from my hair. My hairdresser is good with scissors so I thought he was working some of his magic and not just removing length to give out an illusion of less hair bulk. All these years of lies! lol

Since I want to try out new hair styles I think I'm going to grow my hair longer. It's good you posted that about thinning out hair because I would have otherwise continue getting my hair thinned out while pointlessly trying to grow my hair longer as fast as possible.

Sorry for the question if it's answered already in the forum, but is there then any point in going to the hairdresser when growing your hair long?

I had the same question earlier and Bradley said there is no point in going to the barber when you are growing your hair out. It will just delay your hair growth.As hard as it may seem and bad looking when you begin it is best to leave your hair alone until you get to the length you want. Its all about patience =].

p.s. here is the thread in which he answered that question.

http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...r-question
04-26-2015, 10:22 PM
i don't think that's a good idea.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to use hair trimmer for a hair thinning haircut? Lorenn 3 1,465 06-02-2016 02:35 PM
Last Post: claus