Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thick hair is a pain to style - Hairstyle advice needed
04-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Thick hair is a pain to style - Hairstyle advice needed
Hello,

Glad that there is a forum to get advice for hair as mine is a bane.

I have straight, thick, brown hair which grows at different rates and different directions on one side of my head from other - left side grows vertically and right side grows horizontally and quicker. Also, I have a cowlick or some hair standing up at back corner of my head which stays up, unless recently cut down or with a rats-load of hair product.

After having a cut - number 2 on sides, tapered at back and thinned out on top, approx 1 inch taken off - not enough hair to do much styling. After about 3 weeks and becoming thick again, I can style with wax, but it moves as a 'mass', that is, it moves as one block (if that makes sense) making teasing out different styles difficult. After 4-5 weeks, my hair laughs at any product - apart from superglue ! - to style as it is so dense and only moves over one direction - where there is the part.

Long story I know, but I hope you can help with the styling for my particular hair.

Thanks Nick
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2015, 08:42 AM
RE: Thick hair is a pain to style - Hairstyle advice needed
Dude I have a similar problem with styling straight hair. My hair is thick and it just moves like a mass of hair like you say. It will also style itself naturally like a brush but it won't stand up like I have seen it happens to most guys with thick straight hair. I don't know man I am really thrilled to find the right hair product for straight hair.

I think I have now the products to use as the guys here have helped me a lot, it's basically a hair wax from the brand Tigi. Another hair wax that I will be getting is a couple of styling rubber wax products from Gatsby.

If you want to know about those products. You can find the Tigi hair wax that I have been recommended in this thread. Look for the title that says 'best hair wax'. Click on the Tigi wax as that's the one the guys here have recommended as a good hair wax for thick straight hair.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-Epic-List

There is also a big thread discussing the Gatsby styling rubber waxes. I have been recommended to get the two waxes that have a strong hold. They are the ones in the thread in this link. The number for the waxes are number are number 2 and number 4, both have a strong hold and recommend for styling thick hair.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...47#pid5447

One thing I don't have is a cowlick but I have a couple of friends who do so I know how much that sucks. I have read some really good advice in this forum about cowlicks for men, the main point is to grow the hair longer to be able to style a cowlick. That or keep your hair short but do not try to style the hair against the direction of the cowlick. It actually makes sense if you think about it.

This thread has a lot of good advice on how to style a cowlick.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...ht=cowlick

Do you happen to have any pics of your hair? Perhaps when it is styled and when it stands without hair products? I know the guys here usually ask for pics if trying to solve a hairstyle situation. For me I know how bad it feels to have your hair become a mass of hair when styling it because it's so thick. Apparently it's a blessing in disguise according to the barbers in this forum. But damn it! Big Grin
04-15-2015, 08:24 AM
RE: Thick hair is a pain to style - Hairstyle advice needed
Hi US Asian,

Thanks for the reply, though I wasn't going to get any for awhile.

Here are a pics of front view, left side and right side view (that is to see how hair grows differently on one side from another) to give an idea of what it looks like

[Image: Hair%20left%20side_zpsmbts9qmw.jpg]

[[Image: Hair%20front%20view_zpsjvgslcvm.jpg]

[Image: Hair%20right%20side%20view_zps79qr0wll.jpg]

Thanks

Nick

(04-13-2015 08:42 AM)US Asian Wrote:  Dude I have a similar problem with styling straight hair. My hair is thick and it just moves like a mass of hair like you say. It will also style itself naturally like a brush but it won't stand up like I have seen it happens to most guys with thick straight hair. I don't know man I am really thrilled to find the right hair product for straight hair.

I think I have now the products to use as the guys here have helped me a lot, it's basically a hair wax from the brand Tigi. Another hair wax that I will be getting is a couple of styling rubber wax products from Gatsby.

If you want to know about those products. You can find the Tigi hair wax that I have been recommended in this thread. Look for the title that says 'best hair wax'. Click on the Tigi wax as that's the one the guys here have recommended as a good hair wax for thick straight hair.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-Epic-List

There is also a big thread discussing the Gatsby styling rubber waxes. I have been recommended to get the two waxes that have a strong hold. They are the ones in the thread in this link. The number for the waxes are number are number 2 and number 4, both have a strong hold and recommend for styling thick hair.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...47#pid5447

One thing I don't have is a cowlick but I have a couple of friends who do so I know how much that sucks. I have read some really good advice in this forum about cowlicks for men, the main point is to grow the hair longer to be able to style a cowlick. That or keep your hair short but do not try to style the hair against the direction of the cowlick. It actually makes sense if you think about it.

This thread has a lot of good advice on how to style a cowlick.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...ht=cowlick

Do you happen to have any pics of your hair? Perhaps when it is styled and when it stands without hair products? I know the guys here usually ask for pics if trying to solve a hairstyle situation. For me I know how bad it feels to have your hair become a mass of hair when styling it because it's so thick. Apparently it's a blessing in disguise according to the barbers in this forum. But damn it! Big Grin
04-15-2015, 08:52 AM
You have the perfect hair type for long hair and a side part or slicked back style!
Nick, the issue that you have is very common with guys who have a high hair density like you do. The hair strands are too close to each other to allow for any room in between the strands to get a shape going. So the hair can only move in one direction, and it's all the hair that moves in one direction (what you describe as styling a mass of hair). This is just about the only disadvantage to having a high hair density (it's more of a blessing than of a curse).

Your issue is very easy to solve, you need need more length. I would aim for an extra 2 inches of hair length on the top while keeping the sides and back trimmed as you currently have. Your hair looks straight to wavy, so you will notice a big improvement on your ability to style your hair as soon as you have over 2 inches of length on the top.

You can go for a longer length (i.e. over two inches) and your hair will still hold nicely. You have the hair type and density that benefits from a lot of length, so you can grow the hair to 6 inches and still have it styled without problems.

Do you have any particular hairstyles on your mind that you'd like to get? By the looks of your current hairstyle, you seem to prefer the more formal hairstyles, so you would do very well with either a side part, a side swept or with a slicked back hair style.

With regards to the sides, either keep them as trimmed as you currently have or get yourself a shorter haircut. Your have relatively parallel temples so you can get an Undercut without a problem. A great and trendy hairstyle is the slicked back Undercut which I think would look really good on you (just make sure you keep the hair styled back and flat). For a good slicked back Undercut, you'd need about 5 to 6 inches of hair length, so you're looking at about 8 months worth of growing your hair. You can read our slicked back Undercut hairstyle guide for lots of pictures of the slick back Undercut and how to style it and get it cut.

When it comes to cowlicks, hair length is the best solution. I can see the cowlick and how strongly set it is, so your best option is to grow the hair longer so that you can tame it. When the cowlick is only mild, you can attempt to tame it with short hair, but in your case you just need to make the hair more malleable by achieving more length. That's if you care about aesthetics.

My suggestion is to grow at least an extra 2 inches of hair length on the top of your head. That equates to about 4 months of growing. During those 4 months, continue to get regular haircuts for the sides and back of your head, but just tell your barber to leave the top without trimming whatsoever.

Have a look at the hairstyles I linked to above (side part, side swept and slicked back hair) and decide which one you like the most. Since the hairstyles require the same length, you can however alternate between them on a daily basis, so you don't have to worry about being limited to one single hairstyle only.

Lastly, do not get any more hair thinning done. That will just delay your new goal of achieving at least 2 inches of hair length. It's once you achieve the new hair length goal that you can remove some bulk from the hair by thinning it out.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is my face shape and how do I choose my hairstyle? gamershawk 0 95 11-16-2016 06:46 AM
Last Post: gamershawk
  Hairstyle advice for dry short straight hair with round face shape overprotected 4 240 10-28-2016 02:24 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  How to shape 2 Step Undercut Hairstyle with thick hair products Ruadhri 0 145 10-24-2016 01:52 PM
Last Post: Ruadhri
  How to style hair in brush up hairstyle? Picture illustration Wongford 0 177 10-04-2016 06:41 AM
Last Post: Wongford