Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thick, Frizzy, Rough, Curly, Dry, Kinky Hair. Please Help Me
04-14-2015, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2015 11:59 PM by itsme39.)
Thick, Frizzy, Rough, Curly, Dry, Kinky Hair. Please Help Me
Hello everyone. Great site and great members! This is gonna be a tough project for you guys. Let's get started!

I have been buzzing my head for 10 years now and have decided enough is enough. I don't like how I look with short hair and every girl says that I look better with hair. My problem is I have possibly the worst type of hair to style. It is rough feeling and looks like a carpet with frizzy hairs all over. It wont do any sort of styling if I try to. I try to slick it back and puffs up like the Wolf Man. I try to spike it and they curl down like C-shaped locks.

I shaved it about 2 months ago so it is a decent length right now. It grows VERY fast. I used to get a tight military fade with a razor on the side and 1 on top... The fade would be gone in under a week! I wash it every day with Head and Shoulders Classic Clean for All Hair Types because it gets sort of oily if I skip a day or two and VERY itchy with dandruff flakes falling everywhere. I live in an extremely hot and humid city so I believe this contributes to it being so frizzy.

Here it is after a hot shower. I used my H&H shampoo, lightly dried it with a towel and used a comb to brush it straight back about 10 times. I then let it fully dry and took the pictures. Notice that even my hairline is ugly. I was wearing a tight baseball hat 2 for 2 days before this so I think that sort of trained it to be pushed back. It usually doesn't go back so easily and has more frizzy hairs.

Note - This is it approximately 2 months after shaving it with a 1/2 or 1 all around. I forgot which. So you can get an idea on how quick it comes in.
[Image: ZBLv93E.jpg]

[Image: vxJdupf.jpg]

[Image: Zp9R4Al.jpg]

When I found this site, it was the Slicked Back Hair thread and I wanted to try it. I thought about it and decided against it because it gets so hot here and my head would be fried and I want something a little more hip. This is as close to what I had in mind after thinking and searching the internet. A short, messy spike look.

[Image: zOOos3i.jpg]

- Can I train/get my hair to look like his?
- Do I need new shampoo? Conditioner? What kind of products are going to be best on my hair?
- Do I need pomade to hold the spikes straight up?
- Should I order the products, shave my head again to start fresh with better shampoo and conditioner?
- Do I need a comb?

Help! Where do I start?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2015, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2015 08:34 AM by Bradley.)
RE: Thick, Frizzy, Rough, Curly, Dry, Kinky Hair. Please Help Me
Hi mate the thing with you is that you have very thick hair. This makes the hair harder to style because the hair doesn't bend as easily. I was just reading thru another thread where there was another guy who had the same problem but in his case he had a huge hair density which also makes hair styling difficult.

Your hair sticks up like it does because of how thick it is. And the solution is longer hair. Your hair is still very short to slick it back or put it into a quiff style like with the picture you posted.

You have a nice hairline too. It's round and forward so consider yourself lucky. Most men develop a hairline that is pushed back at the temples so they end up with less hair to style. Then you have the issue of about two thirds of all men going bald and they soon stat getting their temples receding back. While having a round and forward hairline doesn't protect you 100% again male pattern baldness, it's still a good sign of how your hair will be maintained over the next coming years.

Quote:- Can I train/get my hair to look like his?

Hair training is one of the worst myths that is still around in this day and age. You cannot train your hair to do anything. Your hair simply grows and the longer it gets, the more it can bend and be styled.

The problem is that I have heard hairstylists and even barbers say that they can train the hair of their customers. This is simply bs and run away from anyone claiming that they can train your hair. The only way to make your hair follow what you want it to do is to take good care of it. Use a conditioner, use your fingers to style it, do not pull too hard on it, try to get your own sebum to coat the hair, drop your shampoo use and use a deep conditioner every once in a while. Things like these will make your hair much easier to style and get it the way and shape that you want it to look.

But training your hair? nope.

Quote:- Do I need new shampoo? Conditioner? What kind of products are going to be best on my hair?

You're fine with the Head & Shoulders shampoo. If you actually have dandruff then keep that shampoo. If you don't then look for another shampoo as the Head & Shoulders shampoo is a bit harsh on your hair as it strips out everything on your hair as part of its anti dandruff effect.

Some mod could recommend a good shampoo but if you read thru this recommended shampoos post they've already recommended some great shampoos to use. I would advise you to either buy the recommended regular shampoo in the link or the recommended moisturising shampoo in the link. Either of those two shampoos will work great for your hair type.

About the conditioner, see this sticky products thread and get the Agadir oil conditioner. Our admin has created the different sections of the recommended mens hair products. Go to the 'best conditioner' section and get the Agadir oil one. It's really affordable and will also work really well for your hair type.

As your hair gets longer you can also consider a leave in conditioner. Since you're looking for casual messy styles with little hold a leave-in conditioner will work great for that. A leave in conditioner will keep your hair glossier and more moisturised so it will improve your hair aesthetics. So you continue using the conditioner as usual but then some days style your hair with the leave in conditioner.

I recently posted an explanation of the differences between a regular conditioner and a leave in conditioner. Click the link to read my explanation as it will help you in knowing what it is that you have to use. Conditioners whether regular conditioners or leave in conditioners are a crucial part of hair care. Most guys skip the hair care part but you're doing yourself a disfavour by not improving your hair care. Just using a conditioner regularly will skyrocket your aesthetics and will make your hairstyles look way better.

Quote:- Do I need pomade to hold the spikes straight up?

No instead use a hair styling wax. Check out the Tigi thread in this link as it was reviewed by a mod and get it. That wax will give you a matte finish. On the other hand also get a high shine wax with a strong hold, the Gatsby range of waxes in this link will work very well. Get either the number 2 or number 4 styling wax, or get both if you have the budget for it.

Quote:- Should I order the products, shave my head again to start fresh with better shampoo and conditioner?

Order the products but don't shave your head. You have short hair still and it isn't looking bad. o start using the shampoo and conditioner asap and in about thee months you will have enough hair length to start styling your hair like the hair of the chap you posted.

Quote:- Do I need a comb?

Yes, a fine tooth comb will work great for your hair type. Again go to this recommended hair products thread and browse down a tad until you see the best combs section. Get the regular Kent comb with the handle (it's the 2nd one in the list).

If you have any issues locating the products I've suggested in the sticky thread then let me know.

Quote:Help! Where do I start?

Start by getting the products and by browsing the hairstyles section for lots of hairstyle ideas. You need more length as that's a given. At the very least you should be growing your hair long for another three months because right now you just don't have enough styling length. Start using the conditioner and shampoo and play around with the waxes so you dial in the groove of hair wax styling.
04-17-2015, 01:17 AM
Whats up man. Thanks for the response! I'm going to break down your reply with quotation marks since I can't figure out how to do individual quote boxes like you did.

"While having a round and forward hairline doesn't protect you 100% again male pattern baldness, it's still a good sign of how your hair will be maintained over the next coming years."
Interesting never heard that before. I don't have any guys on either family side that is bald. I don't even think I've ever seen a receding hairline at family gatherings.

"You're fine with the Head & Shoulders shampoo. If you actually have dandruff then keep that shampoo. If you don't then look for another shampoo as the Head & Shoulders shampoo is a bit harsh on your hair as it strips out everything on your hair as part of its anti dandruff effect.

Some mod could recommend a good shampoo but if you read thru this recommended shampoos post they've already recommended some great shampoos to use. I would advise you to either buy the recommended regular shampoo in the link or the recommended moisturising shampoo in the link. Either of those two shampoos will work great for your hair type.

About the conditioner, see this sticky products thread and get the Agadir oil conditioner. Our admin has created the different sections of the recommended mens hair products. Go to the 'best conditioner' section and get the Agadir oil one. It's really affordable and will also work really well for your hair type.

As your hair gets longer you can also consider a leave in conditioner. Since you're looking for casual messy styles with little hold a leave-in conditioner will work great for that. A leave in conditioner will keep your hair glossier and more moisturised so it will improve your hair aesthetics. So you continue using the conditioner as usual but then some days style your hair with the leave in conditioner.

I recently posted an explanation of the differences between a regular conditioner and a leave in conditioner. Click the link to read my explanation as it will help you in knowing what it is that you have to use. Conditioners whether regular conditioners or leave in conditioners are a crucial part of hair care. Most guys skip the hair care part but you're doing yourself a disfavour by not improving your hair care. Just using a conditioner regularly will skyrocket your aesthetics and will make your hairstyles look way better."

Yes, I do have dandruff. It's not horrible at all but it is there when I stop washing as much. And real itchy so little pieces end up falling out when I scratch. Will both those recommended Regular and Moisturizing shampoos help keep light dandruff away? My hair does feel lifeless so I think the Moisturizing will be a better choice....what do you think?

You said the Agadir Argan Oil Daily Moisturizing Conditioner is going to my best bet but then said I should consider a Leave In conditioner as my hair gets longer. Can I just get the Leave In conditioner instead of ordering both and start using that right away? I read your guide on the differences between the two but am still not sure which one would be better for getting my hair to look like the spiky hair picture? Leave In sounds like a lot more work but will it better for what I want to accomplish?

When I do decide on the the shampoo and conditioner, do I use both every day? Does conditioner "wash out" if I get my hair soaked later on that day after using it? Sometimes I sweat so much during the day at work or outside doing something that I will take a second shower at night before I go out. Would I have to do the conditioner again?

No instead use a hair styling wax. Check out the Tigi thread in this link as it was reviewed by a mod and get it. That wax will give you a matte finish. On the other hand also get a high shine wax with a strong hold, the Gatsby range of waxes in this link will work very well. Get either the number 2 or number 4 styling wax, or get both if you have the budget for it.
Have you used both of these brands? Which one will hold my hair type up like in the picture? I don't want my hair to look like I put glue/gel in it where its real shiny, crusty and feels like glue...if that is possible to avoid. I want my rats to stay spiked up but where it looks more natural and soft.

I'm not sure if you're saying to get just one brand or both brother. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to order a bunch of products and experiment with them.

Order the products but don't shave your head. You have short hair still and it isn't looking bad. o start using the shampoo and conditioner asap and in about thee months you will have enough hair length to start styling your hair like the hair of the chap you posted.
How long does the dudes hair in the picture look? It seem like my hair looks like its long because its so thick and full but I don't even think its an inch yet.

Yes, a fine tooth comb will work great for your hair type. Again go to this recommended hair products thread and browse down a tad until you see the best combs section. Get the regular Kent comb with the handle (it's the 2nd one in the list).

If you have any issues locating the products I've suggested in the sticky thread then let me know.

I wont need a comb when my hair is finally long enough to spike it like the dude in picture right? Im guessing he just pulled it up with his hands. I just need something right now to comb it back with until it gets that long.

Start by getting the products and by browsing the hairstyles section for lots of hairstyle ideas. You need more length as that's a given. At the very least you should be growing your hair long for another three months because right now you just don't have enough styling length. Start using the conditioner and shampoo and play around with the waxes so you dial in the groove of hair wax styling.
Do you have any suggestions on how to style it until it gets to that length?
04-17-2015, 01:28 AM
Another "natural" spiky look that I like
[Image: zDSBBvU.jpg]
04-17-2015, 02:03 AM
Sorry for posting 3 separate posts but I waited to long to go back and edit.

What is the difference between gel and wax? Is it just personal preference between them? Bradley you didn't recommend to use gel but I see its recommended on the forum for holding spiky hair up. Why not?

So the TIGI Bed Head Men Matte Work Wax is if I want a more natural, dryer look while the Gatsby is a more shiny look? Is Gatsby stronger and better for holding spikes than TIGI though? A lot of reviews say Gatsby is great for straight Asian hair to stay held up which is good but my hair is the complete opposite of that type Tongue

What is Got2b Glued Spiking glue?
04-24-2015, 11:05 AM
I'm not Bradley but I will try to help you out. I think he gave you the best advice you could get from anyone, including a hairstylist, as he is a barber so he has experience with all these hair products for men. I will follow up now on your questions to Bradley.

Quote:Yes, I do have dandruff. It's not horrible at all but it is there when I stop washing as much. And real itchy so little pieces end up falling out when I scratch. Will both those recommended Regular and Moisturizing shampoos help keep light dandruff away? My hair does feel lifeless so I think the Moisturizing will be a better choice....what do you think?

No, if you want to target dandruff, then you need to use an anti dandruff shampoo. You can alternate them so that you use the anti dandruff shampoo some days or some weeks or months & then use either a regular shampoo or a moisturizing shampoo on the rest of the days, weeks or months.

This is the shampoos for men post that has the list of all the recommended shampoos, so just get the premium anti dandruff shampoo recommended in the post. If it's too expensive & you need to buy a cheaper anti dandruff shampoo, then this specific one here from H&S will solve your dandruff issues. Make sure to buy a conditioner like it was recommended to you as dandruff shampoos will remove everything from your hair, including your own sebum which is what keeps your hair healthy & glossy.

Quote:You said the Agadir Argan Oil Daily Moisturizing Conditioner is going to my best bet but then said I should consider a Leave In conditioner as my hair gets longer. Can I just get the Leave In conditioner instead of ordering both and start using that right away? I read your guide on the differences between the two but am still not sure which one would be better for getting my hair to look like the spiky hair picture? Leave In sounds like a lot more work but will it better for what I want to accomplish?

When I do decide on the the shampoo and conditioner, do I use both every day? Does conditioner "wash out" if I get my hair soaked later on that day after using it? Sometimes I sweat so much during the day at work or outside doing something that I will take a second shower at night before I go out. Would I have to do the conditioner again?

No, the regular conditioner is used after the shampoo & left on your hair for 2 minutes. The leave-in conditioner is to style your hair loose & casual & make it glossier while looking better. A leave in conditioner is not rinsed, you just style your hair with it & you're ready.

You need to get the regular conditioner - the Argan oil one is perfect for you hair type. However you don't need to get a leave in conditioner so long as you're using the regular conditioner - the Argan oil one - frequently, like 3 times per week.

If also buying the leave-in conditioner is too expensive for you, then don't get the leave-in conditioner but make sure that you get the regular Argan oil conditioner.

Use the shampoo & conditioner 3 times per week. Use them both on Monday, Wednesday & Friday for now. Shampoo your hair, rinse out the shampoo, then apply the conditioner to your hair, leave it for 2 minutes while you finish cleaning the rest of your body & then rinse the conditioner.

To apply the conditioner just pour some on your fingers & run your fingers thru your hair to coat your hair.

Quote:Have you used both of these brands? Which one will hold my hair type up like in the picture? I don't want my hair to look like I put glue/gel in it where its real shiny, crusty and feels like glue...if that is possible to avoid. I want my chit to stay spiked up but where it looks more natural and soft.

I'm not sure if you're saying to get just one brand or both brother. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to order a bunch of products and experiment with them.

Well I do know that he has experience with those products. He actually has experience with the vast majority of hair products you could think of, so he is always a good guy to listen to for hair product advice. We have lots of barbers & hairstylists in the forum like Bradley who just give out good advice to help guys like you as we know that it can be a bit confusing at first.

After what you posted, the best hair product for your need is the Tigi wax. It will not make your hair crunchy like gel lol Don't worry about it. You can get the Tigi wax for a very cheap price thru this vendor in the link.

Quote:How long does the dudes hair in the picture look? It seem like my hair looks like its long because its so thick and full but I don't even think its an inch yet.

His hair is 1.5 inches long. You will get there in 2 to 3 months so don't worry about it! Smile

[quote]
I won't need a comb when my hair is finally long enough to spike it like the dude in picture right? I'm guessing he just pulled it up with his hands. I just need something right now to comb it back with until it gets that long.

Owning a good comb is very useful for hairstyles like the side part or the slick back. Even if you have long hair, you will still need a good comb with straight hair like yours.

Quote:Do you have any suggestions on how to style it until it gets to that length?

Use the Tigi wax to keep your hair styled up with your fingers. Done.

Quote:What is the difference between gel and wax? Is it just personal preference between them? Bradley you didn't recommend to use gel but I see its recommended on the forum for holding spikey hair up. Why not?

So the TIGI Bed Head Men Matte Work Wax is if I want a more natural, dryer look while the Gatsby is a more shiny look? Is Gatsby stronger and better for holding spikes than TIGI though? A lot of reviews say Gatsby is great for straight Asian hair to stay held up which is good but my hair is the complete opposite of that type

What is Got2b Glued Spiking glue?

Styling gel is for a drier & harder look. Styling wax gives you a smoother & glossier look that leaves your hair feeling more natural. With gel your hair feels hard & sometimes sticky.

Hair gel is also great for spiky hair but for what you want as a hairstyle, a styling wax will work much better. Since you mentioned that you have a limited amount of money to spend, then it's best that you get a styling wax only. However if you can afford to also buy a styling gel, then go ahead, but make sure that you're getting the styling wax.

The Got2b spiking glue is a styling gel. It leaves your hair rock hard & is used to define spikes. It's very strong but it will leave your hair a bit dry to the touch. A good styling wax with a good hold will work just as well to create spikes.

About which styling wax to buy, I recommend that you get the Tigi wax as it fits with what you're looking for. I posted the link to a vendor selling it at a great price so click on the link & get that specific Tigi wax. It's also a great newbie wax as in it's a great styling wax for any guy who is knew to styling his hair with wax products.

After the Tigi wax & if you still have money to spare, then get one of the Gatsby waxes. Going with your hairstyle needs, I recommend that you get this Gatsby wax here as it has a strong hold with some shine, yet your hair will continue to feel natural.

The Tigi wax doesn't have any shine at all - it's called a matte wax - but the Tigi wax also has a strong hold for spiking hair & it leaves your hair smooth & natural to the touch. So if you have the money, get the 2 waxes. If you can't, then only get the Tigi wax.

This was a long post so I will just summarize now the products that you need to get. These are your essential products:
  • An anti dandruff shampoo - either the premium shampoo in the shampoos & conditioners thread that was linked or the specific H&S shampoo that I recommended earlier in this post & for which I provided a link to it.
  • The Argan oil conditioner - in case you didn't see which one it is, it's this one in the link.
  • The Tigi styling wax - this will be your styling foundation product. When you have more money, you can buy more products. Or if you have some money left when buying these listed products, add the Gatsby wax I recommended! Smile
Use the shampoo & conditioner 3 times per week. Use the shampoo first, rinse it, apply the conditioner, rinse it, dry your hair & finish by styling it with the hair wax.

One last product I also recommend is a book called The Men's Hair Book. It's not by us but from a guy called Rogelio who is a recognized mens hair guru. He talks a lot about the right way to approach your hair daily & its hair care so he teaches you all about products, styling & taking care of your hair. It's a huge book & looks really good as a paperback. You will learn a lot & be able to apply all that your learn fast.

I really recommend The Men's Hair Book for you - you can also get it thru this vendor in the link.
04-27-2015, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2015 05:47 AM by itsme39.)
Jurgen, thanks for the write up. I do have a couple of questions then I'll shut up haha.

This is the recommended dandruff Shampoo in the Shampoo Products thread.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00564T...ag=atft-20

I think I will go ahead, spend a little more and get that instead of the H&S Old Spice...Im still debating but will order today. So I only need to wash/condition 3x a week from now on? Will doing these things daily damage my hair?

How is the H&S Old Spice any better than the original H&S Classic Clean that Ive been using for years?

How long will I have to use the new shampoo/conditioner before I notice a difference in my hair?

How wet should my hair be before I apply Tigi to style it?

Bradley gave a link for a comb that will be good for my hair type. Is it easier to spike your hair with one? Or can i just apply Tigi all over my head and use my hands to style it?

Should I try and rinse out the Tigi every night with water?

Did you recommend to get the Gatsby AND Tigi so I can see which one I like more? Sorry, I try to keep everything to a minimum thats why Im asking.
04-27-2015, 06:28 AM
All you need is the TIGI hair wax, a good conditioner & a good dandruff shampoo!
Well, you've had both barbers Bradley and Jurgen reply to you, so I guess that it's now my turn! Smile

Quote:This is the recommended dandruff Shampoo in the Shampoo Products thread.

I think I will go ahead, spend a little more and get that instead of the H&S Old Spice...Im still debating but will order today. So I only need to wash/condition 3x a week from now on? Will doing these things daily damage my hair?

Yes, many guys are following such a frequency of shampoo and conditioner use. Daily shampooing of your hair is not needed at all and does more bad than good. Your own scalp releases a natural oily substance called "sebum" which coats your hair and protects it from the elements. It also makes your hair look thicker and glossier. So you want to drop your frequency of shampoo so that you give your hair a chance to get some sebum coating it as shampoo strips away the sebum (along with any hair product you've used).

If you want, instead of shampooing/conditioning 3 times per week, just drop one day out of the week if you're shampooing daily. So today is Monday, maybe on Thursday don't shampoo nor condition your hair and then see how your hair feels on Friday morning. Then the next week do the same: don't shampoo on Thursday, and so on. Slowly, you then start to drop your shampooing frequency until you're happy with the results.

You must, however, always use the conditioner if you shampoo your hair. You'll get used to it very quickly and it will not be inconvenient. Just shampoo your hair, rinse out the shampoo, apply the conditioner for 2 minutes, continue cleaning your body while showering and then rinse out the conditioner.

Quote:How long will I have to use the new shampoo/conditioner before I notice a difference in my hair?

By the third week you should be noticing a big difference in how your hair feels and looks. Everyone in this forum who has introduced a conditioner like the one that was recommended above has noticed huge positive changes. Just make sure to always use the conditioner when you're shampooing your hair!

Quote:How is the H&S Old Spice any better than the original H&S Classic Clean that Ive been using for years?

The difference will be minimal as the Head & Shoulder shampoos all have the same goal: to tame dandruff. Thus, they all have the same zinc-based primary ingredient, and then each product from Head & Shoulders differs in fragrance or in moisturizing potency.

For example, a regular Head & Shoulders shampoo is very drying, while they have a shampoo that is less drying. They even have a 2 in 1 shampoo, but that's getting complicated and all that we want right now is for you to get a good shampoo (the premium one you've decided to buy) and a good conditioner (the Argan oil one which is THIS one here).

Quote:How wet should my hair be before I apply Tigi to style it?

Simply dry your hair with a towel and leave your hair almost fully dry. It should not be dripping wet or look wet, unless you want a wet look effect. Just dry your hair as you'd normally do and apply the wax. That particular TIGI styling wax is great for natural-looking hairstyles so it's definitively the styling wax that you need for your situation.

Quote:Bradley gave a link for a comb that will be good for my hair type. Is it easier to spike your hair with one? Or can i just apply Tigi all over my head and use my hands to style it?

Using a fine-tooth comb to create spiky hair helps so as to lift the hair up, since you need your hair to be "standing up" prior to creating the spikes. You then define and shape the spikes with your fingers. First coat your hair with the TIGI styling wax, then lift your hair up with the comb and finally shape the spikes with your fingers.

In any case, you always want to have a good men's comb laying around in your house as they're very useful for the times when you need to wear a formal hairstyle (e.g. a side part).

The men's comb that we recommend is a durable long-lasting comb which is quite affordable. Most generic combs chip and break after a couple months of use, so you want to get a high-quality men's comb if your budget allows for it.

If it fits your budget, then certainly do get THIS men's comb here. It's a fine-tooth comb and from the best brand you could get it from (not to mention that it's very affordable!).

Quote:Should I try and rinse out the Tigi every night with water?

Yes, better with shampoo. You don't need to use a conditioner after the shampoo if you're just shampooing your hair at night to remove the styling wax. That TIGI styling wax can also be removed with water, and it's actually one of the few true styling waxes that's easy to clean off. It's a great all-round styling wax for pretty much any men's hairstyle.

Quote:Did you recommend to get the Gatsby AND Tigi so I can see which one I like more? Sorry, I try to keep everything to a minimum thats why Im asking.

What Jurgen said was to consider one of the Gatsby waxes as the wax from Gatsby offers a different texture to the TIGI styling wax. That way, you will have two styling waxes that you can use for different occasions.

For a natural-looking hairstyle like spikes or messy hair and no shine, the TIGI styling wax is perfect.

For a medium-shine polished hairstyle, one of the Gatsby waxes that he posted in his list is great. Just so as to avoid any confusion, he's talking of THIS Gatsby wax.

However, if your budget only allows you to buy one styling wax, go with the TIGI styling wax without a doubt. And, again, to avoid any confusion (since we're writing a lot and you may get lost with what product is being recommended), the particular TIGI styling wax that we're recommending to you is THIS one here. It's price is very affordable so it's a no brainer to buy it on the go! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Thank you sir! So I ordered these things earlier Smile

TIGI Bed Head Men Matte Separation Wax, 2.65 Ounce
Agadir Argan Oil Daily Moisturizing Conditioner, 12.-Ounce
Pura D'or Argan Oil Premium Organic Shampoo Scalp & Dandruff Treatment (16 Ounce)

I was going to get a comb but want to ask something first. Bradley recomended this comb with the handle
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YB1...ag=atft-20

but TMHF recommended this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YB3...PCKXFQKVTL

I scanned over the reviews and it looks like the handle comb is better for people with thick hair like mine. Is this true? Thats my last question for now guys!!!
04-28-2015, 10:12 AM
I think TMHF recommended that comb because it is a fine tooth comb & I remember you mentioning somewhere that you wanted to get a fine tooth comb. The comb that Bradley recommended is a medium tooth comb but for all purposes, any of those two combs - fine tooth or medium tooth - will work great for your hair type so don't stress about it.

For convenience I prefer a comb with a handle though so get I recommended that you get the comb with the handle as you will find it easier to style with.
04-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Jurgen what is the difference between the results of a fine tooth and medium? What is each made for?
04-28-2015, 02:02 PM
(04-28-2015 01:48 PM)itsme39 Wrote:  Jurgen what is the difference between the results of a fine tooth and medium? What is each made for?

The differences are not that important . A fine tooth comb is great for flat hairstyles like if you want to sweep your hair to the side with pomade and keep it totally flat.

A medium tooth comb is a bit better for volume hairstyles where you want to have some vertical volume on your hair, so instead of a side swept you have a side part with volume. Still you're able to comb your hair flat with a medium tooth comb too, so it doesn't matter.

When it matters is when you have a wide tooth comb but none of those two combs we've recommended are wide toothed. Wide tooth combs are for styling curly hair.

Just get the medium tooth comb I recommended as it will be useful for flat hairstyles and volume hairstyles, whichever type of hairstyle you want to get! Smile
04-29-2015, 06:42 PM
Cool Bradley thanks!

How much Tigi wax do I need? Should I just spread it on my hands and move my hands everywhere in my hair real fast to apply it?
04-30-2015, 07:06 AM
A small amount of the TIGI Bed Head styling wax works great for medium length hair.
A small amount of the TIGI wax will go a long way. Some 2 to 4 dabs (about a fingertip amount) will be more than enough for medium-length hair, which is about the length that you currently have. In any case, you're free to try high or lower amounts (but not so much or so little) and see how much amount of wax you like in your hair.

That particular styling wax from TIGI gives a matter effect, so, the moment your hair starts to look quite greasy, that's when you will have overdone the amount of wax and it will thus mean that you need far less than what you've used to get your hair greasy.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-02-2015, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2015 10:54 AM by itsme39.)
Washing your hair with shampoo is entirely up to you.
(05-02-2015 10:54 AM)itsme39 Wrote:  The Purador shampoo says to leave it on for two minutes before rinsing. Do i need to do that?

I'm going to wash/condition every M,W,F. Should i do it after work if i have a sweaty, dirty job that sometimes requires me to wear a hard hat? Or does it make no difference whether morning or night? I kind of think after work will be better so I can get rid of that matted down hair look on Friday before the weekend Smile

You can pretty much wash your hair whenever you feel like doing it. If you break a light sweat, then using shampoo is not needed, unless you have been outdoors and trapped dirt/dust on your hair. Likewise, if you're in the gym and you place your head on one of the cushions of a machine or on a floor mat, then you should definitively wash your hair.

Remember that water alone acts as a neat hair cleaner. So you could in the morning just jump in the shower and wet your hair, massaging it for a few seconds (friction and traction with your fingers and water removes minor amounts of dirt and product residue easily) and then style your hair with your styling product. After work, it's then that you use the shampoo.

About the application time of the shampoo, don't worry about it. The mere act of coating your hair with shampoo will take you about 30 seconds, then you take another 30 seconds to massage the scalp so that the cleaning ingredients do the job and, before you know it, you've had the shampoo working on your head for more than a minute. The instructions are there to remind people that shampooing your hair isn't just about squeezing some of it on the head and then rinsing it.

If you haven't got the book already, get The Men's Hair Book as the grooming chapter goes through in detail about the shampoo/conditioner process and how to go about it the most efficiently. But, in essence, you should be laying the shampoo on the scalp (not the hair) and then massaging the scalp with the shampoo for as long as you want. As said, a minute will pass by without you even realizing it, so don't worry about it.
05-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Ok I used the Agadir Argan Oil Daily Moisturizing Conditioner and
Pura D'or Argan Oil Premium Organic Shampoo Scalp & Dandruff Treatment today just to see how everything is.

- They smell really fresh. I see why girls take long showers.

- The shampoo doesnt lather up easily like my old Head and Shoulders. I squirted down the pump 3 times. Does it just not lather up well or do I need to use a lot more?

- Same question for the conditioner. Its the same situation.
05-03-2015, 09:40 AM
The lather created by a shampoo isn't a sign of its cleaning efficiency!
Don't worry about the lathering of the shampoo. The lathering effect is used by shampoo manufacturers to give you the impression that the shampoo is cleaning your hair deeply (i.e. reacting against the dirt or product residue). The shampoo that you have doesn't have the lathering ingredients found in shampoos like the Head and Shoulders shampoo, so don't worry about that. The Pure D'Or shampoo is still working to keep your hair clean and guard you against dandruff.

Conditioners should not lather. Rather, you simply coat your hair with the conditioner (after rinsing the shampoo), as if you were coating your hair with a hairstyling product right before styling your hair.

05-05-2015, 11:05 AM
So far I have used the shampoo/conditioner twice. Saturday and Monday. I can definetly tell my hair is already less frizzy. I tried the Tigi yesterday for the first time...

I think i put to much. My hair was a little hard and shiny...like gel.

I tried to spike my hair and they curled down like C's. I hope a few weeks of washing and conditioning will change that Sad
05-08-2015, 12:57 PM
This is from my experience but the texture of the Tigi wax should feel more natural than hard, yo probably overdid it. Also keep in mind that the spikes you would get are the same as you posted in those pictures, we're talking of messy hairstyles with defined locks.

I didn't read your entire thread but if the pictures in your first post is your current hair length then you need some more length if you want to get a messy hairstyle. There is a perfect hair length that is the one for hair shaping and that's the one which the guys here call a medium length and which i also agree with. Mind you I'm just a regular dude like you so I'm not a barber, but the medium length from 2 to 6 inches is where it's at for hair shaping like you're trying to do.

Apologies if you mentioned it already but how long is your hair now?

The Shampoo and conditioner that you got are pretty good too so you should b feeling that softer texture like you're starting to do. Tigi is also a really good wax and a good recommendation from the guys here, it's just that you probably overdid it.

My 2 cents.
05-13-2015, 10:08 AM
My hair is about an inch long right now. I still have not cut it!! I would like to get the side and back/neck area trimned :/ it looks messy.

What I was saying was..I tried to spike it with Tigi and the spikes curled like a C. They didnt spike straight up. I hope another week or two of shampooing/conditioner changes that! I have only been using the products for 2 weeks.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to shape 2 Step Undercut Hairstyle with thick hair products Ruadhri 0 144 10-24-2016 01:52 PM
Last Post: Ruadhri
  Thick Asian Hair - What Styles are Possible? Hairs 4 12,227 10-07-2015 09:37 AM
Last Post: asianboy
  How to get smooth, shiny and soft hair for wavy, frizzy hair - Please HELP John94 3 1,301 10-02-2015 08:27 AM
Last Post: redmenace
  How to get a silky smooth mane from rough and dry male hair? unico 2 2,450 09-03-2015 09:14 AM
Last Post: Panther