Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thick Asian Hair - What Styles are Possible?
09-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Thick Asian Hair - What Styles are Possible?
This forum is really useful. Very grateful I found it.

In this thread, I found some old pictures to document my journey towards finding a good hair style. So far, it hasn't been very successful. I would really appreciate some advise.

To start off, I have poofy, straight, thick asian hair. Probably normal density (?).

Like this (taken ~1 year ago):

[Image: 6UM4DHI.jpg]

At first, I decided to go for an undercut. I grew the top to about 5 inches, and cut the sides.

It ended up looking like this:

[Image: Z1pS44p.jpg]

In the image above, I believe I used strong-hold (clay) wax in my hair.

Although it was not the oil-based product TMHF recommends, it was still very strong.

But the hair still sticks up. It refuses to fall to a normal undercut style.

So I decided to wait it out and grow the top longer. Was finally able to push it back at 6.5-8 inches:

[Image: z2d9HPe.jpg]

Instead of trimming the sides again, I decided to just leave it as something like a side part, since the top hair naturally falls to one side.

However, the sides now stick straight out.

So I decided to taper the sides to something like an executive contour haircut. Can’t find a picture, so here's an extremely well drawn image depicting what happens:

[Image: gCJThjY.jpg]

Basically, the short straight hairs on the taper pushes the longer hair straight too.

It looks as if there’s an odd bulge in the sides. Tried waxing / blow drying it down, but the shorter hair on the taper is too strong, and it pushes the longer hair up.

So I decided to grow the sides out. Currently, sides & back at roughly 4 inches, top at 9-10 inches.

[Image: fBphtnb.jpg]

(Note the straight hair pushing longer hair on the sides. Happens on the backside as well.)

But a new problem arose. Now the hair on the top is too heavy to be held by any product. If I look down just a little (such as to eat or tie a shoelace), or go for a run, my top hair would collapse/snap forward in a giant glob in my face:

[Image: ZxLOxaG.jpg]

Basically like the man in this video:

As you can imagine, this is very inconvenient. I am considering cutting my hair.

But I’m no longer sure how to go about it, since I can’t find a way to do well with side & backside tapers. And the top will stick straight up again if I cut it under 6 inches.

Don't really like the styles in the video above.

Instead, I’m looking into hairstyles like these:

[Image: -T-O-P-choi-seung-hyun-33334189-500-690.jpg]

[Image: f6f74b49ecb87e17c48bc7e8973c0ee2.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n0peoaFeJH1rxx7amo1_1280.jpg]

Are these styles possible for my hair type?

If yes, how would I go about achieving that?

I am especially having trouble controlling the side & backside, as I can't seem to get a taper working (elaborated above). Even if I do get a well-fitted taper from a barber, it only takes a week or two before it starts to look bad again.

I am thinking of growing my side & backside hair to at least 6 inches. Then cutting the top to 7 inches.

Will that work with the styles above?

What are some other styles for my hair-type that you’d recommend? Ones that do not require a ton of maintenance? Ones that have decent volume? Ones that look professional?

I would be very grateful if anyone here would offer suggestions. Much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2015, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 10:27 PM by asianboy.)
RE: Thick Asian Hair - What Styles are Possible?
Hey man!

Welcome to the forum. I'm really glad you started this thread because you seem to have the same hair type as me and I would love to help you out!

I would first like to point out a few things though (based on personal observation and experience):

1. Your hair (individual strands) is actually fine.
2. When grown out, the density makes your hair look thicker. Compare the first and second image - the longer your hair, the thicker it looks.
3. From my own experience, the combination of fine and straight hair equals 'giant glob in face', like you said. Its like you just look down and suddenly your hair covers your entire face. Really annoying.
4. Your undercut looks like what I got once - a 'No. 0 (shortest)' side and back shave. Sorry if I'm blunt, but it will not work for us. The hair on the back will simply look like its 'floating' and poking out.
5. I totally understand how it feels to have hair stick out when its under a certain length. In fact, most people have the same issue! I remember a question that I always ask my hairstylist before she put the scissors to my hair was: "Will my hair stick out if I cut like that?"

Now that we got that out of the way, let's answer your questions and hopefully give you some useful tips!

So, the hairstyles that you suggested yourself are actually good options. The first hairstyle (of TOP?) is somewhat like a brush-up hairstyle. Here is a good guide on the forum.

For the second hairstyle (which I used to wear when my hair was short), what I would do is to use hair mousse for volume and hair wax to add hold and definition (i.e. the front and spikes). Hair mousse (very useful list) provides a healthy-looking gloss and moisturize and condition your hair. I normally squeeze out a little less than the size of my palm, then apply it to damp hair. Blow-dry with a round brush (a comb is ineffective for me), focusing on the front because you want the volume and lift. By then, you should have the shape of the hairstyle you want so just add a wax of your choice to ensure that it stays. Also, you want to use your fingers and 'pick out' certain parts of your hair so that you can have little spikes. For additional hold, hairspray it and you're ready to go!

One last thing is that you generally want to avoid dramatic and obvious haircuts. What I mean is if you're going to shave your sides and back, ask for a fade, where the top of your sides (longest) will smoothly transit down to your sideburns (shortest). Now, despite getting a fade, chances are you are going to still see hair sticking out. You can always wax it down! Kinda like this (me trying to do a side-part):

[Image: iwrVU6Ul.png]

Its still kinda bad but I think it would look better compared to a same-length shaved side which is growing out, if you get what I mean.

The best thing, in my opinion, is to keep your sides short, not shaved. That means trim and thin your sides. With that, you can leave it natural when doing the brush-up or you can slick it down or back. Remember: more length for you means its easier for hair to stay down.

My suggestion for a haircut that will suit your desired hairstyle is your fringe cut above your eyebrows, sides and back left short (trimmed and thinned). Try and thin the top of your head to reduce the weight of your hair. It will make it easier for your hair to be 'lifted' and stay there.

That's all I got for now, feel free to ask any specific questions, I'll answer as soon as I see them! Good luck! Smile
10-04-2015, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 08:29 PM by Hairs.)
@asianboy - Wow, thanks for the write up! I found it very helpful.

(10-02-2015 10:22 PM)asianboy Wrote:  1. Your hair (individual strands) is actually fine.

You're probably right. It does 'feel' fine. I initially thought fine hair doesn't stand up on its own at ~3in, but I guess it can?

(10-02-2015 10:22 PM)asianboy Wrote:  the second hairstyle (which I used to wear when my hair was short)

Is there a reason that you've decided to grow out your hair to a side part instead? I think I'm going to cut my top and try this if there's no's major issues with that style...

Since our top & side lengths are somewhat similar, I'm curious what style are you're going for?

(10-02-2015 10:22 PM)asianboy Wrote:  Its still kinda bad but I think it would look better compared to a same-length shaved side which is growing out, if you get what I mean.

From what I understand, you mean that longer flattened hair on the sides looks better than shorter poofy hair on the sides?

That's what I've been thinking too, because with our hair type (hair sticking straight out), you can see right to the scalp shorter poofy hair.

But the issue is the entire side of the hair needs to be really long before it falls flat...or else it looks like a weird pyramid since the shorter hair can't be held down even with wax. (as seen in both of our images)

(10-02-2015 10:22 PM)asianboy Wrote:  The best thing, in my opinion, is to keep your sides short, not shaved. That means trim and thin your sides.

Sorry if I don't completely understand, but doesn't this contradict with the previous idea then?

(10-02-2015 10:22 PM)asianboy Wrote:  Try and thin the top of your head to reduce the weight of your hair. It will make it easier for your hair to be 'lifted' and stay there.

I don't think I have high hair density, so I'm not certain if thinning out the hair is a good idea.

[Image: FudZgFv.jpg]

Do you think density matters in this case? I thought only people with super high density get hair thinned.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!
10-05-2015, 09:14 AM
(10-04-2015 08:26 PM)Hairs Wrote:  Is there a reason that you've decided to grow out your hair to a side part instead? I think I'm going to cut my top and try this if there's no's major issues with that style...

Since our top & side lengths are somewhat similar, I'm curious what style are you're going for?

Update: Just saw your man-bun thread, so no need to reply to this Smile

Couldn't edit the post above since it was over 10 minutes.
10-07-2015, 09:37 AM
1. You're probably right. It does 'feel' fine. I initially thought fine hair doesn't stand up on its own at ~3in, but I guess it can?

Yup! I believe this is also different for each individual.

2. Is there a reason that you've decided to grow out your hair to a side part instead? I think I'm going to cut my top and try this if there's no's major issues with that style...

The only reason why I decided to grow out my hair to a side part is because of trend, haha. Since the time I had that hairstyle, the side part/pompadour/slick back trend has been going up and up. Today, it is very easily spotted in my country. Like 8/10 guys would rock that hairstyle.

Just some inspiration for you if you feel like going for that hairstyle:

[Image: 88cba6e95f3bbe49266be2b96bb417a0.jpg][Image: mens-straight-hair-side-part.jpg]

3. From what I understand, you mean that longer flattened hair on the sides looks better than shorter poofy hair on the sides?

That's what I've been thinking too, because with our hair type (hair sticking straight out), you can see right to the scalp shorter poofy hair.

But the issue is the entire side of the hair needs to be really long before it falls flat...or else it looks like a weird pyramid since the shorter hair can't be held down even with wax. (as seen in both of our images)

You're absolutely right! Which is why I would suggest keeping your sides long so that you can keep it down or pushed back.

[Image: STSo79E.jpg][Image: 5214c25ade21f199af35288243ca22ce.jpg]

4. I don't think I have high hair density, so I'm not certain if thinning out the hair is a good idea.

[Image: FudZgFv.jpg]

Do you think density matters in this case? I thought only people with super high density get hair thinned.

I think it ultimately comes down to how you feel about your hair. If you feel that your hair is not of high density, then you can leave it and not thin it out. However, sometimes you get situations like the one you mentioned in first post (hair is too heavy to be held by a product), then thinning would be a good way to reduce the weight of your hair, allowing it be styled more easily!

Looking at this image of yours:

[Image: fBphtnb.jpg]

What I would do personally is to get a wax (or any hair product that you prefer) and start pushing the sides back, instead of down. The front of your hair looks good already, so the product will just hold it there.

An idea of how your sides would look:

[Image: a5153751d2ce2c37529804c8437fabef.jpg]

Once you're done, you can start picking out the things you like and dislike about your hair when its styled. (e.g. Think the back is untidy? Get it trimmed to a uniform length the next time you go to a barber/hairstylist) Also, don't be afraid to use sufficient product to achieve your desired look. Sometimes, we use just a little bit of product and fail to achieve our desired look, then think that our hair is not suited for it.

Remember that getting to your desired look is a process and sometimes it is a long one. Experimenting is very important. Getting the correct haircut alone takes some time because once you cut it once, you need to grow it out again before you can try another haircut. Then you still have to look for the ideal hair product for you. Some might not have enough hold, some might have enough hold but is very hard to wash off etc.

So keep in mind things that you want to improve on every time you get a haircut. I want my front to be longer... I want my sides to have more length. The next time you cut your hair again, you can tell your barber/hairstylist what you want, and you are one step closer to achieving your desired look.

Good luck!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to shape 2 Step Undercut Hairstyle with thick hair products Ruadhri 0 142 10-24-2016 01:52 PM
Last Post: Ruadhri
  Asian Hair and Classic Slicked Back Undercut Hairstyle XXiiViiXX 3 9,821 09-30-2015 01:45 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  New hairstyle after fauxhawk and fade haircut with thick hair? Salvin23 1 1,025 08-30-2015 08:40 AM
Last Post: Panther
  Help with long thick hair with bangs in front to eyebrow length needhairhelp 2 847 06-17-2015 11:04 AM
Last Post: needhairhelp