Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Man Bun - Epic Hairstyle Guide with Advice, Pictures, How to Style and Videos
03-01-2014, 12:38 PM
The Man Bun - Epic Hairstyle Guide with Advice, Pictures, How to Style and Videos
This is a guide on the man bun. The man bun is a long mens hairstyle, and it is basically tying your hair into a bun or half bun, whether you choose to tie all of your hair or just a section of your hair. In this guide we will cover the instructions for man bun as well as plenty of pictures and advice to get yourself epically bun-ed!

The guide carries on to the next post below as I have divided it into two posts for better reading. Simply continue browsing down once you get to the end of this first post.

How it started

Men have been wearing buns for years and years, starting centuries ago with the samurai. Likewise, men have been wearing long hair for centuries, so it is no surprise that a word such as "man bun" would eventually crop up. In the early 2000s, celebrity men like David Beckham popularized the man bun on a global scale, and it was guys like hair expert Rogelio of ManlyCurls.com and author of the bestseller The Men's Hair Book who popularized it online, Rogelio himself wearing a big man bun for his huge curly hair and blogging about it.

More men are wearing buns

At the end of 2013, we at the Men's Hair Forum predicted the different mens hairstyles trends for 2014, and long hair was among these trends. Quite a few male celebrities had been growing their hair to different long lengths and we knew 2014 was the year of long hair men. Indeed, the start of the year 2014 gave us plenty of long hair inspiration with the likes of Jared Leto with a man bun and shoulder length hair as well as other popular men such as Joaquin Phoenix, Alex Ebert, Harry Styles, Leonardo DiCaprio and Orlando Bloom.

Man Bun or Ponybun

The man bun is usually used to reference all kinds of tied hair on a male. However, this is not a wise move as it can create confusion. A man bun is ideally a whole bun while buns that are not "whole" and have hair hanging from them are, what we call, a ponybun (aka "pony bun" or "half bun"). On the other hand, hair that is tied and isn't put into a bun as the hair just hangs from the tied point is called a ponytail.

Here is a whole bun:

[Image: tumblr_mvwv0sws441s7hj80o1_1280.jpg]

And here is a ponybun (that's Jared Leto, by the way):

[Image: otxduQ4.jpg]

Having said the above, we will use in this guide the term man bun to refer to either whole buns or half buns (aka ponybuns) for your convenience. However, keep in mind the correct distinction between the two styles, especially when interacting in our forum Smile

Pictures of the man bun

Because this guide is an epic guide, and because here at Men's Hair Forum we do things epically, here are some cool pictures of the man bun (both whole buns and ponybuns):

[Image: otxduQ4.jpg]

[Image: YrnJglm.jpg]

[Image: co2HN8H.jpg]

[Image: sDFZaEJ.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mwsy83gM3r1qiwf6jo1_500.jpg]

[Image: RzQiMYp.jpg]

THIS GUIDE CONTINUES BELOW ON THE NEXT POST

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 12:39 PM
RE: The Man Bun - Epic Hairstyle Guide with Advice, Pictures, How to Style and Videos
GUIDE CONTINUED...

[Image: tumblr_mvwv0sws441s7hj80o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: images-2.jpeg]

[Image: images-14.jpeg]

[Image: hpJE8OR.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mcq41pAave1qlttmso1_500.jpg]

[Image: Man-Bun.jpg]

How to tie a bun for men

Tying a bun is not difficult once you get the hang of it. All you will need a good elastic band without any metal parts in it. An elastic band should be part of a male's hair accessory arsenal when having long hair.

To get a man bun, what you do is grab your hair and do as if tying the hair into a ponytail, choking the hair with the elastic band to fix the ponytail and then passing the hair again (ponytail) through the band (open up the band a little) as if choking for a second time, but this time leave the length of the ponytail choked around halfway through its length. The rest of the hair hanging off once the ponytail has been choked halfway through its length is then tied around the bun itself for a whole bun (i.e. man bun) or you can leave the hair hanging for a half bun (i.e. ponybun).

The vast majority of "how to tie a bun" tutorials are either garbage and will confuse you or are too complex and only for elaborate buns that only women with a lot of free time on their hands want to wear. Thus, the 2 video tutorials below on how to tie buns will more than suffice, and I recommend you to practise the methods in the videos and play around with your hair until you grease the groove of tying a bun. Likewise, if you already have long hair, you will be used to tying your hair into a ponytail anyway, and since tying a bun is only one extra step from tying a ponytail, tying a man bun or ponybun will pose no problem.

Both videos are linked to another page in our forum, so please click the links to watch each of the video tutorials.

Guy tying a bun

In the following link to the video tutorial on how to do a man bun, the method being used for the man bun is good but it also is somewhat elaborate and only optimal for men with hair longer than shoulder length. If your hair is shorter than that (about 10 inches), use the tutorial on the second link.

Click to see the video: How to do a Man Bun

Lady tying a bun

In the following link to the second video tutorial on how to tie a bun, skip to 1:00 in the video and use the method shown if your hair is shorter than 10 inches in length. This tutorial is much simpler than the method used in the previous video tutorial and is also more convenient for men.

This second tutorial is by a lady, and her instructions are very neat as so is the video tutorial as a whole. For the most part, women know a heck of a lot more than men when it comes to hairstyling since women have been heavily styling and manipulating their hair from an early age. So just because it's a lady showing you how to tie a bun, it doesn't mean that it isn't relevant to your case as a male.

Click to see the video: How to tie a hair bun

P.S. This second video tutorial in the link above doesn't use an elastic band as she uses the hair itself to act as the elastic band, which you too can do. However, it is always best to secure the bun or ponybun with an elastic hair band, especially if you have curly hair.

Visual aid

For further visual aid, have a look at the picture below depicting the tying of a bun. Trust me, as someone who too has had long hair and tied buns, the videos above and the picture below will make a lot of sense once you try to do your first bun Smile

[Image: 6785476363_cb0222b05c_z.jpg]

Whichever way you want to approach the tying of your bun, the one thing that is important is that your hair must be of the minimal length to classify as long (i.e. 6 inches) in order to have enough hair to be able to make a bun. If you have hair that is shorter than 6 inches, it is best that you wait until you get to 6 inches of hair length to consider tying your hair into a bun.

Products for the man bun

The man bun is a very minimalist hairstyle: all you really need is an elastic band. However, it goes without saying that if you have long hair you should be using a conditioner, leave-in conditioner and possibly a styling cream, even when your hair is tied into a bun. Likewise, we highly recommend you to get The Men's Hair Book as the book includes everything you need to know about your hair.

Recommended products
  • Get this pack of elastic bands: these bands are free of any metal parts so your hair will not be damaged when tying it into a bun, ponybun or regular ponytail. The set in the link comes with 36 elastic bands and I recommend you to get 2 sets as elastics bands for hair are known for getting randomly lost Big Grin
    |
  • Get this regular conditioner: excellent conditioner which will work even better with medium to long hair. It will keep your hair glossy, strong and will help in preventing tangles, the latter being a major issue with long hair!
    |
  • Get this leave-in conditioner: using a leave-in conditioner after your dry your hair is always a good idea, and even more so if you have curly hair. Simply style your hair with the leave-in conditioner in the link and you're ready to go. You can also use some of the hairstyling cream below for a more-enhanced styling effect.
    |
  • Get this styling cream: this one is an excellent quality hairstyling cream that will tame any flyaway hairs and any frizz. It's great for both curly and straight hair. It looks a bit expensive but that's because you are buying a 16.9 ounce bottle whereas most hairstyling creams come in half that size (or even a quarter of that size!). Nevertheless, the value of the hairstyling cream in the link is great.
    |
  • Get The Men's Hair Book: this book is the encyclopedia of hair. It covers everything about your hair and is written in a way that you will enjoy reading and learning from. The author of The Men's Hair Book is none other than Rogelio, a popular hair expert and blogger who he himself has grown his kinky curly hair to his waist among other "epic winz" of his. He is the dude to go to when it comes to getting the facts on everything regarding your hair and his book will be your reference to go back to whenever you have any doubts about managing your hair.

Now get your buns going or start growing your locks to style a man bun like a boss Big Grin

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-01-2014, 05:18 PM
RE: The Man Bun - Epic Hairstyle Guide with Advice, Pictures, How to Style and Videos
(note to self) need to grow my hair long at some point in my life & get a man bun Smile
03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Oh the man bun. It makes me sometimes consider growing my hair long again Lol
Here are more pore pictures for you all while we are at it!

[Image: 2c9e480fcf266c067968be8cb99b0b20.jpg]

[Image: 32d985d35adc81c5c9691fb458499192.jpg]

[Image: 7d193902d7e57cef5cee852636e5d017.jpg]

[Image: be10a69ac3335b9270372051317a9234.jpg]

[Image: 304f2f4bf1dd2e8daa865dbba3782f72.jpg]

[Image: a31c1d1ee50d3f225d02df7b8b8648e9.jpg]

[Image: 78763648475434a76e8fc1f73b7ee55c.jpg]

[Image: c2b760df28fbe234572d069319747435.jpg]

[Image: c3db4f911db936b00360e58ce93a3e78.jpg]
03-05-2014, 03:48 PM
wow guys this really is an EPIC guide! congratulations as this is the kind of guides the internet needs and surely i know quite a few of our clients will benefit from the guide as they are growing their hair to actually style the man bun lol
Really like all the pictures you posted since the hairstyle can be tied in some many ways. And ponybun?? you fellas and your new words i thought we had enough with the metro mullet! Big Grin
03-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I am sure this guide is going to sky-rocket the interest of the man bun in the United States and in the rest of the world.

Since the guide is a manual with all the instructions all one has left is to wait for the hair to grow Big Grin but other than that this guide is going to be quite useful for a ton of guys out there. Including me actually.
04-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
More pictures of the man bun, this time it is with Zlatan Ibrahimovic who wears the man bun hairstyle for every game since over a year ago. Sometimes Zlatan Ibrahimovic does the man bun in the samurai style where the hair sits on top of the crown or vertex and all the hair is tied in one single bun.

[Image: 125020-zlatan-ibrahimovic-sortira-en-fev...50x0-1.jpg]

[Image: article-2061604-16083DFB000005DC-12_306x423.jpg]

[Image: PANews+BT_N0533151378222837514A_I1.jpg]

[Image: Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-PSG.jpg]

[Image: 2012-07-18-zlatan-ibrahimovic.jpg]

[Image: zlatan-ibrahimovic.jpg]

[Image: Zlatan+Ibrahimovic+Paris+Saint+Germain+F...O2qLgl.jpg]
04-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Here is the man bun style of Chico Flores, a Spanish soccer player playing in the Premier League. Chico Flores hair/man bun was suggested by forum member "HereHair" in our Zlatan Ibrahimovic's man bun thread!

Great to see that we have many members in the forum who are aware of other male celebrities from other countries/sports/careers who get to wear all these kind of exotic styles Smile It's difficult to keep track of all these sports celebrities who are continuously changing their hairstyles (and, for some reason, European soccer players are notorious for this LOL).

Chico Flores hair in man bun hairstyle

[Image: flores-cup58-754269_478x359.jpg]

[Image: CHICO.jpg]

[Image: flores-plays-down-monk-argument-13638691...181407.jpg]

[Image: ImageHandler.ashx?Width=300&Heig...ansea2.jpg]

[Image: Flores_3078797.jpg]

[Image: Chico-Flores.jpg]

[Image: flor-388651.jpg]

[Image: 0.jpg]

[Image: chico-flores.jpg]

And this is how Chico Flores hair (long) looks otherwise.

[Image: 50554_heroa.jpg]

04-17-2014, 04:17 PM
(04-17-2014 04:14 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Here is the man bun style of Chico Flores, a Spanish soccer player playing in the Premier League. Chico Flores hair/man bun was suggested by forum member "HereHair" in our Zlatan Ibrahimovic's man bun thread!

Great to see that we have many members in the forum who are aware of other male celebrities from other countries/sports/careers who get to wear all these kind of exotic styles Smile It's difficult to keep track of all these sports celebrities who are continuously changing their hairstyles (and, for some reason, European soccer players are notorious for this LOL).

Dude you should see his new hair, type in on Google Chico Flores new hair 2014, he's the one who has blonde streaks and looks like George Michaels,
04-17-2014, 04:28 PM
(04-17-2014 04:17 PM)herehair Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 04:14 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Here is the man bun style of Chico Flores, a Spanish soccer player playing in the Premier League. Chico Flores hair/man bun was suggested by forum member "HereHair" in our Zlatan Ibrahimovic's man bun thread!

Dude you should see his new hair, type in on Google Chico Flores new hair 2014, he's the one who has blonde streaks and looks like George Michaels,

Just spotted the pictures of Chico Flores new hairstyle. I am messaging Jurgen right now as we have got to get this Flores guy featured on the Celebrity Mens Hair section. That "Wham" inspired George Michael haircut deserves, by all means possible, its very-own dedicated forum thread LOL

[Image: BlIgpirIEAAkrse.jpg]

04-17-2014, 04:32 PM
(04-17-2014 04:28 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  

Just spotted the pictures of Chico Flores new hairstyle. I am messaging Jurgen right now as we have got to get this Flores guy featured on the section. That "Wham" inspired George Michael haircut deserves, by all means possible, its very-own dedicated forum thread LOL
It's funny how haircuts can seriously can people, before he looked like a drug dealer now he looks like the guy who will steal your girlfriend lol
04-17-2014, 04:43 PM
(04-17-2014 04:32 PM)herehair Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 04:28 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  

Just spotted the pictures of Chico Flores new hairstyle. I am messaging Jurgen right now as we have got to get this Flores guy featured on the section. That "Wham" inspired George Michael haircut deserves, by all means possible, its very-own dedicated forum thread LOL
It's funny how haircuts can seriously can people, before he looked like a drug dealer now he looks like the guy who will steal your girlfriend lol

Here is the difference between his man bun and his new George Michael haircut.

[Image: 1Chico-Collage.jpg]

And, absolutely, hair can really change the image of a person almost immediately. We have talked a lot about this specific fact in the forum: hair is among the very few physical traits of yours that a person will notice straightaway. You can have a great tan, a six pack, some artistic tattoos, bad teeth, a hairy chest or whatever other bodily attributes you may have, but among the few things that people will notice immediately of you when they see you at work/supermarket/cinema/bar/cocktail party/church or wherever else (except at the beach or in the bedroom) is your hair (plus a couple other things, like body shape, height, facial hair and face shape/symmetry, which then acts as a gauge for facial attractiveness, the latter which is also greatly influenced by one's hair!).

04-27-2014, 04:49 PM
It looks like I forgot to post in this man bun tutorial the picture of Zlatan Ibrahimovic's hair in a ponybun. The man bun is more common as a mens hairstyle but a good ponybun where the hair is half of a bun & half of a ponytail is pretty cool too & less common.
Already we have examples of the ponybun in this whole thread. TheMensHairForum has done a great job with this man bun tutorial so I am adding another picture of the ponybun because I think it is a very interesting hairstyle for men with long hair, even more interesting than just the whole bun. You can reference the ponybun of Jared Leto that was posted in the guide too for a better idea of the aesthetics of the style.

Also if Zlatan Ibrahimovic is wearing a ponybun hairstyle, then you know the ponybun is a manly hairstyle lol & even tho I am not convinced about the sticking the tongue out thing in the picture of Ibrahimovic below like Miley Cyrus Big Grin

[Image: 1000x665458.jpg]
04-29-2014, 03:24 PM
This look would not be for me in any way shape or form. I guess on some it does not look too bad.
05-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Patrick Rafter hair
Back when Patrick Rafter's hair was long, he would sometimes style his long mane in a ponybun to play tennis matches. Patrick Rafter would vary between the ponybun & the ponytail but when his hair got too long, he would prefer the pony bun for styling his mane & keeping it convenient without bothering him when he was playing a tennis match.

[Image: patrick_2.jpg]

[Image: gregh_2335352b.jpg]

[Image: 400.jpg]

[Image: patrick_33.jpg]

[Image: 99RafterDavisCup_APCJGunther.jpg]
05-17-2014, 02:03 PM
What a shame that my hair is thinning and growing it long is just not possible anymore.

The manbun looks like a cool hairstyle to try for some time when you have long hair.

Get a haircut if you are not happy with it but worth a try. Jealous in a cool sense of any of you who can grow a mane like a lion Big Grin I can tell you I would be growing it long if I could !

Sure as hell you can start thinning any time now so make the most of your time with the hair you have now. I started thinning fast and with no warning and I would have taken my hair serious if I had known I was going to start balding in my early thirties.

Just my two cents.
05-23-2014, 10:46 AM
A few more pictures of the man bun and ponybun. Below are some pictures of the man bun hairstyle of Andy Carroll. He also likes to wear a ponybun too so he is a good example of how the two styles can be worn easily & exchanged.
Andy Carroll's hair has been long for a good time now & he keeps it tied in a bun, ponybun or ponytail during football games. He is also known for getting into fights, showing us that a bun in a man does not need to affect his manliness Big Grin he also seems to like bubbles.

[Image: Andy_Carroll_2666275b.jpg]

[Image: The-West-Ham-manager-said-008.jpg]

[Image: andyCarrollWestHameDebut_large.jpg]

[Image: PANews+BT_N0348101391766206863A_I1.jpg]

[Image: 300px-Andy_Carroll_3.jpg]

[Image: Andy-Carroll-Training-Norway_2771112.jpg...9757244824]

[Image: 466328597-457448.jpg]

[Image: Aqfzzly.jpg]

[Image: 466329197-457554.jpg]

[Image: Andy-Carroll-008.jpg]

When Andy Carroll got into a fight with Chico Flores who also wears his bun, it was an epic man bun fight.

[Image: chico-flores-swansea-andy-carroll-west-h...0201163803]

Two more pictures of Chico Flores' man bun, this was before Chico Flores haircut imitating George Michael Big Grin I don't have any words for the fur coat he is wearing...

[Image: 5807152-large.jpg]

[Image: chico-coat-jameswelham.jpg]

This is a good picture of how the man bun looks from behind. It sits up high on the crown of the head.

[Image: 5899831-large.jpg]

This is a good picture of how a ponybun looks from behind. You can see the half bun & half ponytail shape.

[Image: Nolan_1617782a.jpg]

(05-17-2014 02:03 PM)Vladimir Wrote:  What a shame that my hair is thinning and growing it long is just not possible anymore.

The manbun looks like a cool hairstyle to try for some time when you have long hair.

Get a haircut if you are not happy with it but worth a try. Jealous in a cool sense of any of you who can grow a mane like a lion Big Grin I can tell you I would be growing it long if I could !

You can still wear a bun if you are balding. It depends on the balding stage. If you can see your scalp on the top of the head & not just a receding hairline, then yes a bun is not a good hairstyle to wear. But if it is only a receding hairline then that is fine. Just look at Zlatan Ibrahimovic's hair with the man bun & receding hairline!

[Image: Zlatan_Ibrahimovi%C4%87_Euro_2012_vs_Ukraine.JPG]

[Image: 397px-Zlatan_Ibrahimovi%C4%87_Euro_2012_vs_England.JPG]

[Image: Zlatan_Ibrahimovi%C4%87_Euro_2012_vs_France_03.jpg]

[Image: 399px-Zlatan_Ibrahimovi%C4%87_Euro_2012_...nce_02.jpg]
05-30-2014, 02:06 AM
This is the style i'm going for, but it seems like it'll take forever. It's such a shame Chico Flores cut his off! I know he looks a bit sexier now with the 'George Michael' look but I really liked his bun.

It sucks that I can't grow proper facial hair. I'd love a great beard like Pirlo's alongside it but unfortunately I can only get 'wired hairs' on my face!

I'll definitely set up a 'journey' thread once I hit 11 posts. I don't really want to post 'filler' as it's a bit negative but I don't think there's a way around it. Still when I set it up, hopefully it'll get a good response and people can either gain motivation to grow their hair long like me. If nothing else it'll be a good place to track my progress! Smile
05-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Docks, it'd be good to follow your journey so we can see your case and give you feedback to make the most of your facial/scalp hair. Facial hair is a little bit different to scalp hair, and facial hair takes a long time in males to mature (up to age 30).

Scalp hair, on the other hand, can be grow long and fast, especially if following a nutrient dense diet and using supplements for optimal hair growth such as extra vitamin C, vitamin E and fish oil (even a little extra protein helps!). Good nutrition also affects the growth and quality of facial hair (and of your whole body) so it's always good to try to get as close of a nutritious diet as possible so as to make the most of your hair aesthetics potential!

The only inconvenient to the man bun is a possible case of traction alopecia if wearing the bun too tight and for extended periods of time without releasing pressure or untying the bun. I have been following for some time Zlatan Ibrahimovic's hairline and I am 99.9% confident that he is ripping apart his hairline from tying his buns way too tight (and he keeps them like that when not playing soccer too).

I'll keep an eye out for your journey/tracking thread once you start it Smile

05-30-2014, 11:13 PM
(05-30-2014 02:29 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Docks, it'd be good to follow your journey so we can see your case and give you feedback to make the most of your facial/scalp hair.

Thanks! I'm a few posts short of the required amount but as soon as I hit it i'll create one.

(05-30-2014 02:29 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Facial hair is a little bit different to scalp hair, and facial hair takes a long time in males to mature (up to age 30).

Well I guess i'll be waiting for a while then, haha.

(05-30-2014 02:29 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Scalp hair, on the other hand, can be grow long and fast, especially if following a nutrient dense diet and using supplements for optimal hair growth such as extra vitamin C, vitamin E and fish oil (even a little extra protein helps!). Good nutrition also affects the growth and quality of facial hair (and of your whole body) so it's always good to try to get as close of a nutritious diet as possible so as to make the most of your hair aesthetics potential!

I've been using a couple of products which i'll discuss once I begin my 'journey' thread, but I had no idea that protein helped the hair so much. Will definitely look into those supplements as well.

(05-30-2014 02:29 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  The only inconvenient to the man bun is a possible case of traction alopecia if wearing the bun too tight and for extended periods of time without releasing pressure or untying the bun. I have been following for some time Zlatan Ibrahimovic's hairline and I am 99.9% confident that he is ripping apart his hairline from tying his buns way too tight (and he keeps them like that when not playing soccer too).

I read a post about this from the author of The Men's Hair Book, and I was actually very concerned! If I do continue to grow my hair long i'll always be looking to tie it back, so as soon as I noticed that it's tearing his hairline I immediately had some doubts. I guess i'll have to look into this further as the months go by Undecided.

Still, massive crush on Zlatan Heart

(05-30-2014 02:29 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I'll keep an eye out for your journey/tracking thread once you start it Smile

Thank-you. This forum seems really supportive. Smile
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 624,612 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice Alex 36 250,779 08-07-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: AlexVI
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,156 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 111,815 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight