Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Style of Tony Stark beard? name and pictures help!
02-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Style of Tony Stark beard? name and pictures help!
Lads does anybody know what style is Tony Star beard? talking of the geezer from Iron Man basically when his all dressed up as a human and not like a robocop lol posted below some pictures of the beard of Tony Stark... am assuming its some kind of official facial hair style right?? seen it before but never really stopped to think of its actual name lol and what styling products or trimmers or razors or what-ever are needed for it? cheers!

[Image: 20120416023223!Iron-man-site-tony-stark.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lsq3zydcqn1qmlgfpo1_250.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 03:57 PM
RE: Style of Tony Stark beard? name and pictures help!
Yes, Anton, that's certainly (to us) a familiar beard style of Tony Stark! The actual name of Tony Stark's beard is a Balbo facial hairstyle, although his Balbo is not a textbook Balbo and has some elements of a Van Dyke facial hairstyle too. Let me add some more pictures of Robert Downey, Jr's bearded facial style in Iron Man before I continue in this post to tell you how to do the Balbo and what I recommend:

[Image: Iron-man-tony-stark-arc-reactor.jpg]

[Image: mD83nxc.jpg]

[Image: Tony-stark-i-am-iron-man.jpg]

[Image: 214_robert_downey_jr_-906173-large_image.jpg]

[Image: Tony-Stark-1.jpg]

[Image: 600full-tony-stark.jpg]

[Image: onYvaGm.jpg]

The Balbo involves a mustache and then a goatee which extends along the jaw without the goatee ever connecting with the mustache. In the case of Robert Down Jr's Balbo beard style, the goatee isn't as long or thick as a regular Balbo and there is some trailing of facial hair to connect the goatee to the mustache. We could say that his Balbo is a more refined attempt of this bearded style Big Grin.

How to do a Balbo facial hairstyle? It's very simple: just grow a full beard and then shave the sides of the beard, except for a thick line trailing across the sides of the jaw but without connecting this trail of facial hair to the sideburns either. You will thus be left with a mustache and a goatee that extends through the jawbone towards the sideburns. Just by looking at the pictures above you can tell exactly how to shave and trim the Balbo, and it's actually an easy facial hairstyle to shape up and can involve some creativity on your part! The facial hair below the jaw (i.e. on the neck) should be shaved too, by the way.

[Image: 9hRfY4R.jpg]

You will need a good razor and a good beard trimmer and mustache trimmer; those will be the only products for a Tony Spark Balbo beard. A safety razor is usually recommended instead of a straight razor for shaving the full beard so as to then turn it into a Balbo facial style since a safety razor gives you more room for error and for not cutting yourself. A solid sturdy safety razor with double edged blades is an awesome investment that will last you years, unlike the plastic new-age cartridge razors of today which have expensive cartridges. My recommendation is to buy this safety razor which is as sturdy and low maintenance as it gets and then buy yourself some 50 double edged platinum blades for super close shaves. This double edge blade pack contains 50 double edged platinum blades that fit the recommended safety razor and which together (safety razor and double edge platinum blades) will give you a great shaving experience (including super close shave) and great maneuvering for shaping your Balbo!

When it comes to maintaining the Spark-inspired Balbo, you need to own a great beard trimmer that allows you to precisely select any length of facial hair as you can have your Balbo at any length, from stubble length to a good half inch length, it's up to you and as I said above, be creative with the shape and length. Whatever length you decide, I highly recommend you to invest in a high-quality beard trimmer that acts as a mustache trimmer, sideburn trimmer, stubble shaper and even hairline trimmer, and this high quality hair trimmer will do the job excellently and is a great investment when it comes to mustache and beard trimmers as it will trim your beard, mustache, eyebrows, sideburns and hairline. So, really, the price for the linked hair trimmer is unbeatable for the value it provides.

If you have a higher budget, you can also go with this innovative vacuum-sucking beard and mustache trimmer that will suck in the trimmer facial hair as you trim your Balbo. The great advantage of this facial hair clipping tool is that you will not make a mess wherever you decide to trim so it's very convenient for when traveling or if you tend to make a mess like some of us do when using a beard/mustache trimmer and we have our ladies complaining about it Big Grin If you like that option, then definitively go with that linked vacuum-sucking trimmer as it will trim any facial hair from beard to mustache to stubble.

Lastly, if you want to check out some shaving creams, then have a look at our shaving creams thread Wink You've really got everything to pull a great Balbo and the instructions above and the tools I have recommended will be helpful for any other facial ahirstyle you decide to give yourself in the future!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Lol mate i just posted in another thread how freaking helpful you guys have been and the amount of golden information we can find in these forums thanks to expert chaps such as urself mate and now i come to a thread i started like an hour ago and get this top of the pops huge guide as a reply on a saturday nite!! you have just nailed it again mate, totally got the point of it, clear as crystal and i will be growing me some stubble in the following days now to practise shaving the balbo lines with your instructions.
Thanks so much tmhf cause i really cannot thank you fellas enough for helping those of us looking for answers who have never found 'em anywhere else! i have been in this forum for months now but its every time i log in that i read and learn more and more mind blowing stuff on male grooming that not even the big magazines are capable of covering. Proud to be part of this forum even if its just me asking questions most of the time lol hopefully soon enough i have learnt enough thanks to you guys and i can give back to the forum and help the noobs Smile Cheers mate and have a good one!
02-08-2014, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2014 02:05 PM by Stevens.)
This facial style usually looks mediocre on regular dudes & its popular with some of the metal pop groups which makes it even worse lol However the style on Robert Downey Jr in Iron Man 2 looks real good and even suits his face shape... I am not a grooming expert like TMHF above & I didnt even know the name of the beard style, but I can normally tell when styles be them for face or scalp look good on guys & this one on Downey is a winner
02-20-2014, 12:56 PM
this is one of those things i had asked myself in the past but never really bothered to ask lol thought it was just some goatee and a mustache to book but its cool to know the actual name and how to go about it!
Question then what would be the actual hairstyle of Tony Stark? so now we know his beard is a balbo... but what about his hairstyle? would it be just a regular side part?
02-20-2014, 05:48 PM
(02-20-2014 12:56 PM)Alex Wrote:  this is one of those things i had asked myself in the past but never really bothered to ask lol thought it was just some goatee and a mustache to book but its cool to know the actual name and how to go about it!
Question then what would be the actual hairstyle of Tony Stark? so now we know his beard is a balbo... but what about his hairstyle? would it be just a regular side part?

His hairstyle does look to be alternate between a messy styled side part and a more formal side comb part. Slap on a taper haircut and you have got yourself what we call a convertible haircut which allows you to swap the styling of your hair however you want and into most hairstyles, no extra trimming needed. That would be the reason why he keeps the part but it keeps looking different.
About the beard i thought that would be a van dyke but your right TMHF it is a balbo Big Grin noob mistake here. Just it shares some common elements with the vandyke style but that railing goatee is a dead giveaway.
Off to bed anyway, night guys!
03-28-2014, 05:24 PM
I loved the movie and the bard style! it is for sure a rare style but here in Spain I notice more men growing beards like this balbo one which I remember only skater guys would grow in 2001 to 2005 Big Grin
04-29-2014, 03:30 PM
I like how he looked when playing the character of Iron Man. I think the look suited Robert well.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is Ron Swanson mustache style name? JaimeSpain 3 2,025 07-19-2016 08:16 AM
Last Post: beardlover
  Colin Farrell True Detective Mustache Pictures TheMensHairForum 6 3,050 07-19-2016 08:05 AM
Last Post: beardlover
  Raul Meireles beard, haircut and hairstyle pictures Jurgen 4 19,425 12-18-2015 07:31 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  David Beckham New Hipster Beard Style - Pictures TheMensHairForum 5 6,194 12-16-2015 09:41 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c