Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Style difference between undercut and undershave??
03-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Style difference between undercut and undershave??
Hi guys i have a quick question, what is the difference between the undercut and the undershave? I have learned a lot about the undercut hairstyle in this forum and i cannot thank you all enough. Now all this stuff makes sense for once in my life after years of hair abuse and not knowing wtf i was doing Big Grin
So yeah back to the question, anybody pls know and tell us the difference between undercut and undershave? perhaps the name says it all but i overheard the name the other day in the barbershop as i was leaving but never got to ask what it was to the barbers there. Maybe one of the barbers here can solve this hair mystery of mine?? lol thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2014, 03:19 PM
RE: Style difference between undercut and undershave??
Machado, the actual difference between both haircuts is simple semantics. In the Undercut (see our Undercut hairstyle guide), the hair is clipped with a hair clipped, usually the length being from a #0 (without a guiding comb attached) up to a #3, whereas in the Undershave (see how to shave your head) the hair is simply shaved with a razor, although some barbers may refer to the Undershave as the haircut being done with the shortest of all blades (000 or so), which basically means that the hair is clipped so short (with a hair clipper) that it is, for all aesthetic purposes, "shaved".

The actual naming and barber terms used will depend on the barber and his own jargon, which is why it is so important to always choose a good barber with whom you can communicate and have him understand you perfectly (for a guide on how to shop for a barber, read The Men's Hair Book as you'll learn that and a lot more on hair grooming, hair care and hairstyles).

Because of the availability to regular consumers of very potent and high quality hair clippers such as this one from Oster, some barbers may refer to an Undershave as a textbook Undercut as the shortest length that can be achieved with hair clippers like that Oster one do truly resemble a shaved scalp. In fact, if you like to give yourself haircuts (the Undercut is very easy to do, just clip your hair from the temple line down with same clipper length), I highly recommend owning a high quality clipper like the one in the link above because you can give yourself clipper cuts that mimic a razor-shaved lengths without the inconvenience of having to actually shave your head, which has its own cons itself such as irritation to the skin or risking slashing your scalp which you won't be risking by owning a high quality hair clipper like the one in the link above.

In any case, don't sweat it. If you want the sides and back of your head shaved for an Undershave, then specifically ask for your back and sides to be shaved. Otherwise as for an Undercut and mention what length you want it done with (if unsure about the length that will suit you, just ask him and he will tell you as barbers have seen a lot of heads and hair so they usually have a great sense of aesthetics).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-19-2014, 03:49 PM
I had never heard of the under shave but it would make sense that it would be to a razor what the undercut is to a clipper.
My question is why would any one shave their heads like that?? the result would be as anti aesthetics as it can really get & make no sense unless we are talking of Skrillex wannabes which still does not make the shaving any more acceptable lol curious now!
04-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Gotcha guys Smile it now makes sense even tho it seemed obvious but i have learned so many crazy hairstyle names from this forum that i prepare for almost anything lol blows my mind how some one would want to shave their undercut rather than just getting it clipper done Huh

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2016 Hair Styles For When The Undercut Dies The1HairThatWontStay 8 4,980 08-02-2016 02:14 PM
Last Post: johnfederico786
  Growing out undercut TenMess 0 565 05-29-2016 06:22 AM
Last Post: TenMess
  How would you label this style? (Ben Mckenzie - Gotham) Gwame 1 906 05-02-2016 11:36 AM
Last Post: Refrusloi
  Advice please: How to style long hair like this (with reference photo) stbay1217 2 1,071 12-10-2015 05:56 AM
Last Post: tonymacroni