Poll: Do you prefer a Straight Razor or a Safety Razor?
Straight Razor
Safety Razor
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straight Razor or Safety Razor?
11-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Straight Razor or Safety Razor?
Straight razor are very popular these days but back in the old days, men would shave with straight razors and would seldom cut themselves. There is also a good amount of men who use electric shavers but for those of you using razors, are you oldschool and shave with a straight razor or prefer the more modern safety razor?

For me I use safety razor, a standard double edge razor. Gets the job done fast. I do also use an electric shaver (I actually own 2 Big Grin) but when it comes to wet shaving I use the safety razor.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2013, 05:34 PM
RE: Straight Razor or Safety Razor?
Until recently I was using the safety razors with cartridges, just generic ones from the supermarket tbh but I started using straight razors some months ago and Im liking it a lot.I enjoy the ritual and extra care when shaving, haven't got any cuts yet but touch wood Smile
I am now shopping around for a beard trimmer for some extra grooming and what not, would appreciate if you could have a look at the thread I started on beard trimmers bro Smile
11-28-2013, 08:41 PM
i am using this one (pic below), yea i know it is old model, but it is cheap and good.

[Image: thumb_50fbd3819cd34.jpg]
12-01-2013, 01:24 PM
safety razor havent really used straight razors other than when I was young and playing around with my dad, is the closer shave of a straight razor really worth the risk of cutting yourself??
12-02-2013, 11:42 AM
I actually use both and have a big collection at home altho I personally prefer a straight razor and also for my business with our service of wet shaving.
I can see tho how a male who has to squeeze every minute of hs morning would not be too fond of straight razors but the risk of cutting - as in big cut - is way overblown by drama queens.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
12-02-2013, 11:46 AM
(12-01-2013 01:24 PM)Vladimir Wrote:  safety razor havent really used straight razors other than when I was young and playing around with my dad, is the closer shave of a straight razor really worth the risk of cutting yourself??

Unfortunately lots of so called "modern" men argue that a straight razor has a big risk of cutting yourself, I have seen lots of drama queens posing as style bloggers who could not shave their way out of a paper bag. These are the people you should ignore Vlad because they are just repeating what the other puppets say.
Now if we talk about nicking yourself - as in a very light cut that you also get with safety razors - then yes the risk is a bit higher in the hands of a beginner, but not that much mate.
Cheers

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
12-05-2013, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 05:49 PM by Bradley.)
I will admit that despite studying to become a barber I do prefer safety razors for my own shaving.Like Barber said above getting a good shave nick free with a straight razor is a skill and shaving with a straight razor requires more attention than shaving with a safety razor etc...
I do use str8 razors tho once in a while, the straight razor gets a much close shave that a safety razor just can do imo

(12-02-2013 11:46 AM)Barber Wrote:  Unfortunately lots of so called "modern" men argue that a straight razor has a big risk of cutting yourself, I have seen lots of drama queens posing as style bloggers who could not shave their way out of a paper bag. These are the people you should ignore Vlad because they are just repeating what the other puppets say.

[Image: sDMAF6j.jpg]
12-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Safety razor for me, I have quite shaky hands so I often cut myself with a straight razor Tongue
12-14-2013, 03:07 PM
I think safety razors and straight razors have their place in wet shaving for men but I often have little time to dedicate to shaving in the morning so I choose a safety razor other wise i would end up even decapitating myself with a straight razor haha
12-20-2013, 08:44 AM
(12-02-2013 11:46 AM)Barber Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 01:24 PM)Vladimir Wrote:  safety razor havent really used straight razors other than when I was young and playing around with my dad, is the closer shave of a straight razor really worth the risk of cutting yourself??

Unfortunately lots of so called "modern" men argue that a straight razor has a big risk of cutting yourself, I have seen lots of drama queens posing as style bloggers who could not shave their way out of a paper bag. These are the people you should ignore Vlad because they are just repeating what the other puppets say.
Now if we talk about nicking yourself - as in a very light cut that you also get with safety razors - then yes the risk is a bit higher in the hands of a beginner, but not that much mate.
Cheers

i use safety razors + a beard trimmer but after reading barber above me thinks of giving straight razors a try now
01-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Its a safety razor for me cause am too much of a wuss to be handling a straight razor and my hand will be shaking as i shave and think about the risk of unintentionally slaying me jugular vein or something like that
01-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Well 4 me it is a str8 razor if i have the time to shave with my razor - i actually enjoy my wet shaving session with my str8 razor and i know theres quite a few of us here in the forum too
> for those mornings when i just dont have the time then its a cartridge safety razor and thats it - for any facial hair grooming i use a electric trimmer.
04-16-2014, 09:16 PM
I heard that knife edged razors came back after the release of James Bond, I think it gives a more full on experience of shaving
04-17-2014, 05:11 PM
I have interest in using a straight razor but I never use one. For me is only a normal razor, the safety type, because it is fast and easy. No risk for big cuts but I have interest in learning more techniques with this forum thanks to all advice I read here. Learn for my hair and also for shaving my beard Smile

(04-16-2014 09:16 PM)herehair Wrote:  I heard that knife edged razors came back after the release of James Bond, I think it gives a more full on experience of shaving

Do you know which James Bond movie it was?
04-17-2014, 05:23 PM
(04-17-2014 05:11 PM)JaimeSpain Wrote:  I have interest in using a straight razor but I never use one. For me is only a normal razor, the safety type, because it is fast and easy. No risk for big cuts but I have interest in learning more techniques with this forum thanks to all advice I read here. Learn for my hair and also for shaving my beard Smile

(04-16-2014 09:16 PM)herehair Wrote:  I heard that knife edged razors came back after the release of James Bond, I think it gives a more full on experience of shaving

Do you know which James Bond movie it was?
Yeah Skyfall, apparently it also improved male grooming
Big Grin
07-03-2014, 03:52 PM
I shaved myself once, got a really bad rash and never did it again. Now I adopted a system of using the Andis T-Outliner for a close dry shave and then finishing it off with the Whal Five star shaver. So far, it has worked out for me pretty well.
07-03-2014, 04:13 PM
(07-03-2014 03:52 PM)Stylish Brotha Wrote:  I shaved myself once, got a really bad rash and never did it again. Now I adopted a system of using the Andis T-Outliner for a close dry shave and then finishing it off with the Whal Five star shaver. So far, it has worked out for me pretty well.

I agree with the Andis T-Outliner. One super handy piece of equipment for trimming anything and for designing parts and what not! Smile just saw the guys were recommending it for the hairstyle designs of some football players in the World cup thread.
07-03-2014, 08:24 PM
(07-03-2014 04:13 PM)Bradley Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 03:52 PM)Stylish Brotha Wrote:  I shaved myself once, got a really bad rash and never did it again. Now I adopted a system of using the Andis T-Outliner for a close dry shave and then finishing it off with the Whal Five star shaver. So far, it has worked out for me pretty well.

I agree with the Andis T-Outliner. One super handy piece of equipment for trimming anything and for designing parts and what not! Smile just saw the guys were recommending it for the hairstyle designs of some football players in the World cup thread.

It's a great shaver and it's great for doing you're own lineups. When I was going through a bit of a financial crisis a few years ago, I would use it to give myself a shape up. I wouldn't trade mine for the world Cool
07-20-2014, 03:44 AM
Even though straight razors seem cooler safety razors win out for me because it's impossible to make side passes on the neck area with that blade and since I want to go ATG there's no other choice
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Philips Norelco 1280X/47 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor review A London Barber 0 78 10-26-2016 10:36 AM
Last Post: A London Barber
Question Electric shaver vs. wet shaving razor? Pros and Cons discussion Stevens 12 4,729 10-07-2016 11:45 AM
Last Post: Joseph.davidson
  Schick Quattro review: Titanium shaving razor for men The Hairstylist 0 104 10-05-2016 01:57 PM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Shaver as good as a razor darrelj 0 432 01-15-2016 09:57 PM
Last Post: darrelj