Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Starting my hair journey 5 1
Starting my hair journey
11-22-2018, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2018 06:58 AM by simeon960.)
Wink Starting my hair journey
Good day to everyone, I'm Simeon coming from Bulgaria and Serbia. I've done few attempts in the past but have always failed to meet my target goal so I decided to come to this forum and maybe find some answers and perhaps meet new friends. I've done it in the past almost to shoulder length but I've always given up because of one reason or another and every time I shave it off I deeply regret it so I thought it would be better to seek advice from you rather than myself.
So for some unknown reason when growing my hair long I always start from buzz cut and during the course of a few months the hair on the sides grows a bit faster than that on top and it doesn't look good especially in the awkward stage and I want to ask you whether it is wise to shave the sides one or too times so the other part of the hair has some time to catch up ?
Also my hair is really dense and thick(unlike my beard sadly) and it gets greasy too fast and the more I take showers the faster it gets greasy. Any tips on that? Also I wanted to ask if some of you have heard about quinine water, it is quite known round here and it's thought to aid in hair growth. But is there actually any scientific evidence to back up this claim, cause I didn't find any trust-worthy source ? I'm applying it 3 three times daily on the scalp. My ultimate goal is to exceed past shoulder length and I'm really motivated as I probably won't have it for long time as all males in my family are bald(but do have full beards so the cup is half full half empty depending on what you want to have more) and I'm 22. I wasn't able to attach photos for some reason
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2018, 02:02 PM
RE: Starting my hair journey
Glad to have you here!

As for your questions as you embark on your journey; you should not trim or cut your hair when growing it long. Yes, the awkward stage can last some onths as the hair gets all to hang down, but trimming any areas of the scalp will only lead to delaying your hair growth.

What we advice on this forum is to start growing your hair long from an even length all across the scalp. That means that the hair on the sides and back should be at about the same length as the hair on the top when growing one's hair long (especially to shoulder length). Shaving the sides (especially) is only going to make your hair look awkward once it gets long, unless you're going for some kind of long hair undershave hairstyle which is quite an extreme hairstyle in its very own right.

About quinine water or tonic water for faster hair growth, that's not something that has been proven by science and is more of an old wives' tale than anything else. It's very difficult to speed up hair growth if you're already healthy.

I've upgraded your account so that you can post photos of your hair and your progress. Look forward to seeing how you get to your shoulder-length hair goal!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Short hair to long Journey shahrukhch1 22 15,998 01-26-2017 12:14 AM
Last Post: Eddy52
  Chronicling my long hair journey jaysen_ 6 2,308 12-28-2015 12:42 AM
Last Post: jaysen_
  Long hair journey to growing a man bun! WesleyGarrett 5 2,865 09-18-2015 07:07 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett
  My Journey to Top-knot kle95 11 5,165 05-14-2015 10:35 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum