Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Staff Review of The Men’s Hair Book by Rogelio Samson
03-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Staff Review of The Men’s Hair Book by Rogelio Samson
This is my review of the book The Men’s Hair Book: A Male’s Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney. This book is also known simply as The Men's Hair Book & it is written by mens hair expert Rogelio Samson.
First my overall opinion, this book is freaking awesome! Big Grin I have never read anything like this & you cannot find information like this anywhere. The book is really detailed on the field of mens hair and it is also easy to read & apply the many lessons found in the book. There are also case studies at the end of each chapter to show you how the lessons in the chapter apply to real life.

Before continuing with my review, you can read and see more of the book in this page.

The Men's Hair Book is based on a 'hair management system' & this system was created by hair guru Rogelio, who is the author of the book. Rogelio is a popular expert who first got in the scene with his blog Manly Curls. If you have ever read his blog you will then know how Rogelio rolls, he is against bullsh*t and "fluffy" stuff - as he calls it Big Grin - so he is pretty direct. His Manly Curls blog is very popular & has a lot of fans, including many members of this forum!

Ok back to the book. The book breaks down the system into parts & follows a sequential order. Each couple of chapters covers each part of the hair system or 'aspects' as he calls them. This way you get to learn everything about your hair from a logical approach since at the beginning you will first learn all the basics about your hair & then you'll have to identify your hair ID by following Rogelio's ISEZ hair type method which is also found in the book. This hair type method of Rogelio is really popular and we use it in our forum because it is perfect for mens hair.

After you have your hair profiled it is then time to learn the daily grooming and styling of your hair. Expect to learn everything about how you interact with your hair - this means everything about cleaning your hair and not just shampoos, conditioning your hair and using styling products. The grooming chapter has a huge list of all the types of hair products for men & you will learn how they work & their pros/cons.
Another chapter is dedicated to the art of styling your hair, and you will find recommended hairstyles for your hair profile and the instructions for the hairstyles. This is why the unique hair profile method of the book is so useful because from the profiling of your hair, you can then get the right hairstyle for you.
You will also have lots of styling advice from choosing a barber to using hair accessories to how to use a hair dryer. He also covers growing your hair long as well as how to straighten your hair if you want to and the options that you have.

Then once you learn everything about the daily 'interaction' - grooming and styling - of your hair, you will learn about hair care. The chapter on hair care is massive and there are so many methods and quick convenient tips that you will learn that I lost count. There are lots of tips and tricks, all created by Rogelio thru his great experience with mens hair & thru having really long curly hair so the dude is an encyclopedia of hair advice and tricks.
There is also a chapter dedicated to learning about the right nutrition to grow strong and healthy hair. This section is also huge and Rogelio even mentions food groups that he has found to really benefit hair growth as well as the nutrients such as vitamins and mineral. This chapter itself is worth buying the book because the advice is really good and is based on Rogelio's experience with his own hair, with the hair of other guys and also based on medical research that Rogelio studies - he has confessed to be a 'hair geek' & its truth Big Grin

So after the two huge chapters about hair care and nutrition you then have a chapter where you will go thru everything taught so far so you know how to apply the methods and system fast & without problems. This chapter puts everything together for the chapters of hair profiling, grooming, styling and hair care/nutrition. It's nice to have everything reviewed again and put in a summarized order so that chapter is quite useful if you didn't catch everything during your first reading of the book.

After the chapter summarizing the system and methods, you then have a big chapter dedicated to de-bunking myths. Have you ever watched Mythbusters on Tv? it is the same in that chapter but about hair. Lots of epic stuff to learn that will surprise you & some lols too. The next chapter is a Q&A chapter where any small questions you may have about hair styling, grooming or small daily things are found there and explained in great detail.

Last chapter is the appendix where you will find 29 diagrams, drawings and tables. These same illustrations are found in the other chapters and used where applicable.

Overall, my review score for The Men's Hair Book is 10/10! I have never seen a book like this & it is an excellent book to keep as a reference. We use some of the methods in the book in this forum too so that tells you how applicable the concepts of the book really are. You will find anything you can think of in this book and it is all explained in great detail. The case studies found at the end of each chapter are also very valuable because they are based around a barbershop environment & you can see for yourself how the lessons of the chapter are applied to real life.

You can find The Men's Hair Book in bookstores in the US & I think in UK too. However the best place to buy the book is @ Amazon, which you can do so by going to the book's Amazon page in this link.
Jurgen

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 02:51 PM
RE: Staff Review of The Men’s Hair Book by Rogelio Samson
Cheers for the review mate.
I agree its an excellent book to really learn the perfect way to style and look after your hair. I actually found my self learning a few things that i would not expect as a barber lol the hair type guide is pretty sweet and the whole hair equation system he covers with the book is a great way to tailor the hair with the hairstyles and hair care. Thats the essence of the book, to teach you how to get your own best hair. I usually tell the guys coming to our barbershop to get the book so their more in tune with their hair and we barbers can actually make a better job. The difference between good hair and hair that is not looked after is like night and day when it comes to styling and cutting Big Grin
03-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Oh and the case studies are really good btw i can relate with quite a few of the case studies and the types of issues that clients come to us with Big Grin
03-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I agree it is a great book.

I even changed barber or well more like I left my hairdresser and look for a barber who knew his stuff suing the method in the styling chapter to *shop* for a barber. My new barber now does some awesome tapers and I could not be any happier with him. I even mentioned the book to him and he already had it to. When I told him what he thought about the tips for *shopping* for a barber he told me he agreed 100% haha
03-07-2014, 04:25 PM
I hear a lot about Rogelio! i visit his blogs many times and always learn new things. I am from Spain so sorry for my english and by the way Rogelio is a spanish name I am sure! Big Grin
But yes I have the book and I love it because it is like starting from 0 and building from the ground... what I mean is you first learn everything that is about the hair in the first chapters and then after that is the hairstyles and the more complicated stuff. I think this is a smart way to teach to have great hair because many men only have focus on hairstyles and more hairstyles!! but first you need a strong base or intelligent foundation to really understand the hairstyles... and this is exactly the Mens Hair book.
I give the book to some friends of mine and they love it also but the problem is that their english level is 0% and they have to use the dictionary Big Grin Big Grin but I have basic or maybe medium level of english and can read and understand the book 100%.
03-11-2014, 06:20 PM
The book has helped me so much its unbelievable to me. You learn to understand your hair so you can know exactly what will work for you so instead of wasting time looking at hairstyle pics like i used to and wondering... mmmm would that even look good on me... your hair will look good from putting the whole system int he book on automatic.

This book (+ you guys in this forum) have saved my butt big time not to mention the money as now I can grow my hair without having to go for a trim every 3 weeks to control all the frizz and bad shape like I did before. My hair now is under control and way easier to handle and style. When I style a hairstyle it looks 100x better than before I got this book and learned everyhing about grooming and hair care and the right styling according to the hair Id and personal situation.
ps. The paperback looks real nice btw with the yellow and back colors for the front cover.
03-12-2014, 01:58 AM
Think I'm gonna order myself a copy today and see what I can learn

Hopefully I can pick some tips up and I'm intrigued to learn more about my hair and what exact styles would suit me
03-13-2014, 03:58 PM
(03-12-2014 01:58 AM)shane88 Wrote:  Think I'm gonna order myself a copy today and see what I can learn

Hopefully I can pick some tips up and I'm intrigued to learn more about my hair and what exact styles would suit me

Sure get the book as it will give you a big knowledge advantage when reading the threads in this forum. For example & like I said in my review, the hair type guide we use in this forum is straight out from The Men's Hair Book & with permission from Rogelio.
It is not just about the hairstyles for a guy & most men focus too much on the hairstyle part. But it is the grooming & hair care that should go first & thats what the book teaches you. You will first learn about grooming, hair care, the strategies to follow & to combine, the nutrition, the different methods - no shampoo method, ISEZ method, sebum coating method, the '9 minute perfect mane' method & a lot more - and then after all of that you will get to learn about the hairstyles. Its a smart way to approach your hair & is also a great way to learn to identify the best styles and haircuts that suit your hair type.

After all your hair is going to be there for many decades & your hair is a big part of your appearance & certainly more important than facial hair or body hair. When a woman says whats her perfect man... one of the things she will say is that he must have a thick nice head of hair!
03-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Very thorough review of The Men's Hair Book, Jurgen!

You have pretty much echoed what we admins and mods feel about this book as well as what our forum members feel about the book. For starters, The Men's Hair Book is a "real" book, no 50 page advertorial or wannabe book with page after page of bad information. The Men's Hair Book is the kind to own and cherish and to always keep in your book shelf for consulting at any time.

The methods that Rogelio created are truly pioneering. Not even the women's hair niche has been able to come up with such creative methods as those of Rogelio (and as covered all in the book). Likewise the book is for all men with all kinds of hair types and all kinds of knowledge, from newbies to barbers (you only have to ask mod Barber, he even admitted that as an old-school barber, he learned quite a few new things himself from the book LOL).

This book is exactly what men need. An encyclopedia that will satisfy the casual guys just wanting to know how to style their hair to the hardcore fashionistas who use their hair as part of their dapper style. Since Jurgen has reviewed the book in detail, all I can add as one of the admins of this site is that this book is really worth it and is a great reading complement to this forum and for the guys who really want to take their hair to the next level of epicness Cool

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-15-2014, 04:28 PM
I think like many of you guys i also bought the two books of Rogelio (The Curly hair book and The Mens hair book).
About this book The Mens Hair book it has been the best investment i have done in quite some time and the book isnt expensive anyway to be calling it an investment lol however the book has brought sense and logic to the mess that i have been creating for years with my hair.

Srs reading thru the chapter about shampooing for example, i realise i dont know *** about something as basic as shampooing my hair and i have been doing it wrong fore years! the same for styling my hair too and its now wonder that my hair looked rats for all these years. Now i finished reading the book and started putting to practice all the lessons of the book my hair is magically improving on its own lmao even got my gf curious about wtf i have been doing to my hair with the book.
For me this book is a cross of an encyclopedia and a full manual. Like say when you were preparing yourself for your driving test and you study the manual... thats pretty much what The Mens HAir book is.
03-18-2014, 08:08 AM
Finally managed to order the book today from Amazon, paid extra to get it tomorrow, looking forward to reading it, with the amount of the positive reviews this book has received and how it help people understand and helped their hair, i can't wait to see how I can learn and improve my hair and hairstyle, should be fun, will post a small review of the book towards the weekend

I know this is off topic (sorry guys) but does anyone know any good male grooming books out their? Thanks
03-19-2014, 02:42 PM
(03-18-2014 08:08 AM)shane88 Wrote:  Finally managed to order the book today from Amazon, paid extra to get it tomorrow, looking forward to reading it, with the amount of the positive reviews this book has received and how it help people understand and helped their hair, i can't wait to see how I can learn and improve my hair and hairstyle, should be fun, will post a small review of the book towards the weekend

I know this is off topic (sorry guys) but does anyone know any good male grooming books out their? Thanks

TBH I only bought books for hair and The Mens Hair book is the best book you will read bar none. You will learn a lot about your hair like many of us have after reading it since the book its not just about the pretty side of hair like the hairstyles but everything form hair growth to nutrition to exposing all the hair myths (lol after you learn in the book the real facts about this myths you will be like... what the hell was I thinking back then!)

*** On thing tho is to be careful with what you buy as there was a thread sometime ago of a forum member (Zorba i think?) who is a photographer & who reported that there was a scam going on with some of the grooming books where books are called 'photography books' (as in by a photographer) while the books all they have are stolen images from websites and stock images. Even one of his friends who was a photographer too for male models found some of his pictures in the scamming book which was been sold in amazon as a real photography book from a real photographer lol! this is not just on the grooming section of books tho its on the whole of amazon Undecided
03-20-2014, 07:00 AM
£13 well spent, picked up some great tips and learned a lot of new things and what I was doing wrong
I've jumped on the no shampoo method (was kinda doing it already but without realising the important information) the sebum coating method is great and I advice everyone to use this method, also I realise that ive been using to much hair wax lol oh well

Big thanks to Rogelio for a amazing book and everyone on here with the advice Big Grin
Still in the process of growing/changing my hairstyle, getting it cut next week, I can't wait to rock my messy shaggy hairstyle Smile
03-20-2014, 07:24 AM
(03-20-2014 07:00 AM)shane88 Wrote:  £13 well spent, picked up some great tips and learned a lot of new things and what I was doing wrong
I've jumped on the no shampoo method (was kinda doing it already but without realising the important information) the sebum coating method is great and I advice everyone to use this method, also I realise that ive been using to much hair wax lol oh well

Big thanks to Rogelio for a amazing book and everyone on here with the advice Big Grin
Still in the process of growing/changing my hairstyle, getting it cut next week, I can't wait to rock my messy shaggy hairstyle Smile

We are glad it helped you, Shane! It's a great book and it really focuses on the "whys" and "how tos" so you learn and understand exactly what your hair needs (and because of that your hair will look awesome automatically). Just wait till you get to the nutrition chapter and the myths chapter for even more valuable advice (the myths chapter is epic and debunks a lot of "baloney" that is passed around in bar talk, online and even in hair salons!). Rogelio has a great track record of delivering great hair advice through his blogs already so we are very happy to recommend his book as additional reading to our forum.

I am trying to get Rogelio to have a thread in our forum just for his book (and his other book The Curly Hair Book) but he is usually very busy (although he loves the idea and usually answers any questions and gives a lot of advice in his blogs). That way any additional questions can be asked in the thread although, mind you, the last chapter of the book has something like 35 Q&As for any additional questions anyone may have, including how to manage your hair without any hair products Big Grin

Treat the book as your encyclopedia to reference, and it will also be very useful when browsing this forum. For example, we use Rogelio's hair type guide in the book (the actual name in the book is ISEZ hair type guide) which is very useful to put your hair into a category already (straight hair requires a bit different approach to styling and care than, say, coiled curly hair).

Ok, that's enough of my bromance and nut-hugging on Rogelio LOL

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Ok I've managed to read the book all the way through and all I can say is it's a amazing and yet simple book
I've jumped on the "no shampoo" like most of people have on here and im about a week in and I've already noticed their a improvement in my hair, my hair feels healthier and smoother and even more manageable
I have a 1/4 off shampooing at the moment, I use normal conditioner every other day and leave in conditioner on the days I don't use conditioner, it's just simple stuff like this that will greatly improve your hair

Everyone and anyone who wants to rock a top hairstyle needs to get this book asap, honestly this book will help you achieve your hairstyle to the best you can achieve with it Big Grin
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
(03-24-2014 04:07 PM)shane88 Wrote:  Ok I've managed to read the book all the way through and all I can say is it's a amazing and yet simple book
I've jumped on the "no shampoo" like most of people have on here and im about a week in and I've already noticed their a improvement in my hair, my hair feels healthier and smoother and even more manageable
I have a 1/4 off shampooing at the moment, I use normal conditioner every other day and leave in conditioner on the days I don't use conditioner, it's just simple stuff like this that will greatly improve your hair

Everyone and anyone who wants to rock a top hairstyle needs to get this book asap, honestly this book will help you achieve your hairstyle to the best you can achieve with it Big Grin

Awesome to hear the book helped you so much! Smile That's the kind of raving feedback Rogelio has been getting on his book. As you read, the book is full of cool useful methods as having hair that you are truly happy with is not just about seeing a pretty model with a hairstyle and saying "I want that hairstyle" (in fact, such a "me wants" lazy attitude is a recipe for disaster when it comes to looking your best and why most guys get a big dose of reality when they go to the barber and get a haircut).

03-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the really informative review! I was thinking about getting a book on hair but not sure if I would be THAT interested lol. Perhaps I'll get it for the iPad and give it a read.
03-25-2014, 03:02 PM
(03-25-2014 02:21 PM)JDeee Wrote:  Thanks for the really informative review! I was thinking about getting a book on hair but not sure if I would be THAT interested lol. Perhaps I'll get it for the iPad and give it a read.

James, you may actually benefit more from Rogelio's other book, The Curly Hair Book. You are a young curly male and The Curly Hair Book covers the same hair care, grooming and styling system as the one found in The Men's Hair Book, only that, as an addition, The Curly Hair Book is also full of motivational and inspirational content. On the other hand, The Men's Hair Book is a bit more detailed and formal, but either book will be close to life-changing reading experiences (vastly improving your hair will immensely improve your image, looks and self confidence).

Rogelio is a curly dude with really dense and big hair, so he wanted to write a book that was dedicated to the curly men of the world Smile Rogelio is the author and owner of ManlyCurls.com, which is one of the most popular male blogs on the internet and he covers in that blog a lot of curly hair advice. Since many curly men tend to dislike their hair, Rogelio gives you the great knowledge to manage your curls and also the inspiration and motivation, and he finishes each chapter explaining how the lessons of the chapter have related to him over the years (in The Men's Hair Book, Rogelio finishes each chapter with a barbershop case study examining and solving a hairstyling or hair care issue of a barbershop client).

The Curly Hair Book is real fun to read, which makes it even easier to learn all the lessons and very interesting to read the book till the end. You can get The Curly Hair Book in the book's Amazon page (click the link to visit the page and read more on the book).

Having a mens hair book to read, browse and reference as you read and learn from this forum is an excellent way to rapidly learn everything that you need to know about your hair. Both The Men's Hair Book and The Curly Hair Book are excellent books to own that will genuinely help you a lot, and not just help you now but actually also help you over the long term and for the many years ahead as you can use the books as reference reading any time you have a question, doubt or would like to refresh your knowledge. And for what is worth, Rogelio has mentioned in the past that buying just one of the 2 books is fine as he prefers that you finish one book and put all the lessons into practice before getting the other book of his that you are missing Smile

03-25-2014, 03:20 PM
(03-25-2014 09:20 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(03-24-2014 04:07 PM)shane88 Wrote:  Ok I've managed to read the book all the way through and all I can say is it's a amazing and yet simple book

Awesome to hear the book helped you so much! Smile That's the kind of raving feedback Rogelio has been getting on his book. As you read, the book is full of cool useful methods as having hair that you are truly happy with is not just about seeing a pretty model with a hairstyle and saying "I want that hairstyle" (in fact, such a "me wants" lazy attitude is a recipe for disaster when it comes to looking your best and why most guys get a big dose of reality when they go to the barber and get a haircut).

Indeed, the book has just been brilliant, I've learnt lots and lots new things, my hair just feels a lot better, I did kinda though went for the copy hairstyle (Coentrao) lol but you only get out of it if your willing to put the effort into it, I agree though, you can't just expect to go into a hairdressers and expect to have it perfect when you come out, I think things like face shape, face type, ethnicity and to a certain extent hair type can have a influence on how your hairstyle could be, however as I have a diamond shape face and it's longer than wide, hairstyles like a middle parting just don't suit me it's makes me look nerdy, my best hairstyle by far is it to have a faux hawk or spike in the middle style, I could ask anyone that question and they would tell me that, only thing I will need to do is straighten my hair, but for 5-10 mins effort I willing to do it
03-25-2014, 03:46 PM
(03-25-2014 03:20 PM)shane88 Wrote:  
(03-25-2014 09:20 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  

Indeed, the book has just been brilliant, I've learnt lots and lots new things, my hair just feels a lot better, I did kinda though went for the copy hairstyle (Coentrao) lol but you only get out of it if your willing to put the effort into it, I agree though, you can't just expect to go into a hairdressers and expect to have it perfect when you come out, I think things like face shape, face type, ethnicity and to a certain extent hair type can have a influence on how your hairstyle could be, however as I have a diamond shape face and it's longer than wide, hairstyles like a middle parting just don't suit me it's makes me look nerdy, my best hairstyle by far is it to have a faux hawk or spike in the middle style, I could ask anyone that question and they would tell me that, only thing I will need to do is straighten my hair, but for 5-10 mins effort I willing to do it

Agreed.

Here at this forum, we are trying to help shift the bad habit that men have developed over the years of seeing a handsome model or actor with a haircut/hairstyle and then rushing to the hairdresser to get the same haircut/hairstyle. This is not the way to go about developing one's own image and it leads to many guys simply giving up on their hair or, worse, having it affect their self confidence. It is fine to see hairstyles of popular guys and think, "mmm, this is a nice hairstyle", but then you have to also think "and how could I possibly adapt this hairstyle to my unique hair case?". That's why also having a good barber/hairdresser/hairstylist who knows your hair and what you need and want is so important, and in fact The Men's Hair Book and The Curly hair Book have big sections dedicated to picking the best barber/hairdresser/hairstylist to ensure the best experience and aesthetics of your hair.

A very notorious example of the herd like mentality that many men have developed is the case of the Undercut. I am not sure about the UK (where you're based, Shane), but in the United States, the Undercut is like a plague LOL Every young dude has seen Boardwalk Empire and Michael Pitt with the Undercut and everyone has been wanting this same hairstyle despite the fact that the Undercut can and will look freaking awful on some guys. I personally believe this is part of men nowadays being too trend driven and sacrificing their ability to think for themselves.

The Men's Hair Book (and The Curly Hair Book too) allows you to see your hair and yourself as unique (with regards to image and aesthetics) as well as an individual who needs a tailored solution and not cookie cutter style solutions. This is why we cannot recommend The Men's Hair Book enough because just that life lesson is worth getting the book. Throw in the fact that the book is full of very useful and applicable mens hair knowledge as well as epic advice and you have the perfect book to keep for many years and to consult whenever you like.

I for one am happy that our forum has grown so much in its very young life and that many forum members like yourself have benefited from this forum and have obtained the solutions that they were searching for for so long Smile

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Layrite Super Hold Deluxe Pomade REVIEW Jurgen 29 26,195 10-13-2015 08:45 AM
Last Post: Thomas Martin
  TIGI Bed Head Men Matte Work Wax REVIEW Jurgen 13 35,046 01-14-2015 10:34 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1
  Andis Ceramic BGR+ Professional Hair Clipper Detachable REVIEW Barber 5 6,970 12-19-2013 12:11 PM
Last Post: imane
  Conair 225NP Comfort Touch Tourmaline Ceramic 1875-Watt Hair Dryer review Jurgen 4 3,093 05-29-2013 07:41 PM
Last Post: Alex