Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spikey side swept hair?
02-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Spikey side swept hair?
I've been experimenting with my hair alot recently, and I've perfected brush ups, quiffs etc.

But I really struggle to replicate a spikey side swept style, I just can't get my hair to go anything like it.

What I was trying to replicate:

[Image: 1486730_748457048516101_1510067578_n.jpg]

[Image: 1z6wfhk.jpg]

Any particular styling tips which would help recreating these?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2014, 12:15 PM
RE: Spikey side swept hair?
Are you using a hair dryer? You will certainly need one to get that messy emphasis.

Have a look at our hair dryer discussion if you don't have a hair dryer yet and want to consider purchasing one. For volume hairstyles, a hair dryer is almost a must-have Smile Incidentally, a hair dryer is also very useful to get the extra volume for brush ups and quiffs.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-14-2014, 12:43 PM
(02-14-2014 12:15 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Are you using a hair dryer? You will certainly need one to get that messy emphasis.

Have a look at our hair dryer discussion if you don't have a hair dryer yet and want to consider purchasing one. For volume hairstyles, a hair dryer is almost a must-have Smile Incidentally, a hair dryer is also very useful to get the extra volume for brush ups and quiffs.

Yeah I am using one, as you said, that's how I get the volume on top for the brush up's etc, I usually use hair mousse also to give it extra volume.

What I was wondering was how to actually create the spikey side swept effect. Is there a particular brush or technique I should use?

Is there any other products I should use?
02-14-2014, 05:21 PM
(02-14-2014 12:43 PM)connorhassle123 Wrote:  
(02-14-2014 12:15 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Are you using a hair dryer? You will certainly need one to get that messy emphasis.

Yeah I am using one, as you said, that's how I get the volume on top for the brush up's etc, I usually use hair mousse also to give it extra volume.

What I was wondering was how to actually create the spikey side swept effect. Is there a particular brush or technique I should use?

Is there any other products I should use?

Use hair wax. First coat you hair with wax, proceed to style with the fingers and as you are setting the direction of the forelock (front hair) finish of by tousling the tips of the hair.

So, point the hair dryer angled to the forelock so the hair is blown to the right, have your hair coated optimally in hair wax, then use fingers to continue giving direction to the right with the blown air from the hair dryer. Then, as your fingers run through the hair strands/locks, tousle the ends (tips) of the hair by shaking the fingers (while keeping the hair dryer pointed at the hair section). As a last move, give the last defining touches with some more wax to accentuate the "spikes".

Grab a matte wax hat gives a natural look, this TIGI hair wax works really well for those messy side parts and gives definition without the grease of classic pomades or gels.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-17-2014, 09:58 AM
So should mousse be used for this or is just wax fine? Also should the hair be coated in wax before or after blowdrying?
02-17-2014, 12:48 PM
(02-17-2014 09:58 AM)GoodHair Wrote:  So should mousse be used for this or is just wax fine? Also should the hair be coated in wax before or after blowdrying?

Both products can be used but for this style, wax is better for the finishing details so yeah go with wax. For other hair styles I prefer mousse as it goes better with blow drying imo.
I use wax after the hair dryer - for other hairstyles tho - but others prefer before starting to blow dry & for this style, because the messy finish needs detailing, use both before & after or start with wax before blow drying like TMHF mentioned and if more work is needed to detail then add a little bit more wax after the blow dried side locks are set.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Side part slick back Keith_H21 0 214 11-01-2016 07:50 PM
Last Post: Keith_H21
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 330 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  do you guys recommend a hairstyle for somebody with a patch on the side of their head kaylinm1 0 231 07-29-2016 11:02 AM
Last Post: kaylinm1
  How do I achieve this casual side part hairstyle with volume? Gary99 0 526 06-19-2016 09:48 AM
Last Post: Gary99