Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slicked back hairstyle with curly hair?
06-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Slicked back hairstyle with curly hair?
Hi guys maybe this is an obvious question but is it possible to get a slicked back hairstyle with curly hair?? my friend has really curly hair, I would say more towards the coiled hair type. I showed him the pictures in the slicked back hairstyle guide and he really liked the classic slicked back where the hair is styled low and tight with pomade.

His hair tho looks really hard to style. I think it would be too hard for him to really slick his hair back the classic way although he can comb it back with a wide tooth comb. It just does not lay down on the head but stays more like messy. Hair length is medium, I think is about 3 or 4 inches. Do you think it is possible to get the classic slick back hair with curls?
Thanks for any replies!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 04:01 PM
RE: Slicked back hairstyle with curly hair?
Alex, getting slicked back hair with curly hair can be quite the task depending on the actual hair type within the curly hair texture. In your case, you seem to be positive that the hair type is "coiled" which can be slicked back in a classic style, but at the extent of the health of the hair.

Coiled curly hair will raise from the scalp even in a flat hairstyle as is the classic slick back where the hair is combed back with a strong pomade. Coiled hair has strong curves (since it curls) which means that unless the hair is pulled really hard and an extra strong hair gel is used, you will not be able to attain a flat hair look. You would need to use an extra-strong hair gel because otherwise you would have to use an oil-based pomade with a super strong hold and that would lead to a very oily disaster. Likewise, you would have to comb the hair really hard which carries a very high risk of damaging the actual hair strands and making the situation even worse.

In reality, the "classic" (i.e. flat) slick back hairstyle is only doable for straight hair and wavy hair. With coiled curly hair, the hair will not remain flat unless you go to extremes as I describe above, and if you care about your hair, then you should always avoid extremes as hair is very delicate and if it is damaged then you will compound any hairstyle issues you have.

I would advise you/your friend to simply do the modern slick back with a water-based pomade like this one here. The modern slick back for coiled curly hair (instead of the classic style) can still look classy and elegant, and the good thing is that you will not have to risk damaging your hair with the modern slicked back style as described in the hairstyle guide in the link. It's a good thing that your friend is using a wide-tooth comb already as that should be the only type of comb he should be using to comb or style his curls.

Whatever your friend does, just make sure that he does not end up with his curly hair slicked back like Cristiano Ronaldo in the picture below (left) Big Grin By the way, on the right picture of Cristiano Ronaldo below, we can see the magic that occurs when using an actual good hair straightener instead of the cheap garbage that has flooded the hair care industry!

[Image: e39e7b10-d460-11e3-bca2-b18c65f1d461_Cri...espues.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-09-2014, 01:39 AM
I have coily hair and I tried to style it in a slicked back style (pompadour) with pomade. The pomade would not hold the curls, it curled up into a greasy mess. Its wasnt pretty...
07-09-2014, 11:35 AM
(07-09-2014 01:39 AM)Afro-Ginger Wrote:  I have coily hair and I tried to style it in a slicked back style (pompadour) with pomade. The pomade would not hold the curls, it curled up into a greasy mess. Its wasnt pretty...

Yep, slicked back hair will only hold back well with wavy curly hair (out of the three curly hair types: wavy, coiled and kinky). Afro-Ginger, since I just read that you are reading The Curly Hair Book, wavy hair would be Type I to II curls Smile

With coiled curls, it is best to do a casual modern slick back as I mentioned, since the curls don't need to stay held and fixed. It's a step up in terms of styling from a Shake & Go, which you will also be reading about in The Curly Hair Book!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-18-2014, 12:47 AM
Cool thanks Cool
07-20-2014, 11:17 AM
huge difference that products for curly hair can mate! so for curly hair the slicked back style under the modern version like you guys explained in the guide is the best hairstyle for curly hair?
07-30-2014, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2014 07:46 AM by MadMike.)
Hi folk,I really like the slicked back hair but for some reason ,I can't style it without a hairstyling product, my hair seems to be dry very fast and in the end (without hairstyling product) it look like a fro.

Is this normal or it's just me ?
09-02-2014, 07:26 AM
I'm also trying to find a "formal" hairstyle that works with my medium wavy/curly so that I don't have to cut my hair (I'm trying to grow it out).

I tried to do the slicked back using gel, pomade, mousse. None of which worked. The strong gel hold it for a while but eventually it became wavy and curly in the points. I still haven't tried hair spray though, will it hold it more? Should I start have my hair damp or dry when I use hair spray.

Also, is it ok to use a pony knot with a slicked back? I can't hold all my hair in a pony knot yet, but enough to make it work.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 314 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 288 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 13,721 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  curly super dry bush type unshiny hair shau1203 0 265 08-09-2016 03:30 PM
Last Post: shau1203