Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slicked back hair problems.
08-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Sad Slicked back hair problems.
So I recently shaved the sides to a number two and slicked back my hair (modern slick). Loved it at first but I am now getting extremely annoyed. The pomade I use (black and white, oil based) has very little hold. I style as detailed in the thread on this same forum, yet my hair falls into a centre parting at the slightest breeze or nod of my head. Highly irritating. My hair was cut to have a longer fringe, so that may be the issue, but I'm going to try some suavecito pomade soon for extra hold. In the meantime is there anything I can do to combat it? I have tried extra hold hairspray, doesn't work. Have tried a stronger hold gel type stuff, doesn't work. Help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 10:12 PM by Migu85.)
RE: Slicked back hair problems.
(08-12-2014 01:17 PM)justkeeplivin Wrote:  So I recently shaved the sides to a number two and slicked back my hair (modern slick). Loved it at first but I am now getting extremely annoyed. The pomade I use (black and white, oil based) has very little hold. I style as detailed in the thread on this same forum, yet my hair falls into a centre parting at the slightest breeze or nod of my head. Highly irritating. My hair was cut to have a longer fringe, so that may be the issue, but I'm going to try some suavecito pomade soon for extra hold. In the meantime is there anything I can do to combat it? I have tried extra hold hairspray, doesn't work. Have tried a stronger hold gel type stuff, doesn't work. Help!

Hi Justkeeplivin!
I just got me a modern slicked back undercut last week. My sides are a number 2 aswell, and my top is 5-6 inches. At the beginning, i wanted to try with the pomades recommended in this forum. But i couldnt find them here in switzerland. So what i do, is towel dry my hair and using a styling/texturising cream (i use Tigi Small talk) first, and comb it trough evenly with a comb and blowdryer. Make sure you comb your hair back.
Then at this point, where your hair goes straight back, i start to mess around mith the blowdryer blowing the sides, from left to right, right to left, to get as much volume as possible (you can always bring hair down, once its up Wink
Then, instead of a pomade i use wax, and distribute it trough the hair with my hands and instead of a comb. You can go a bit messy with it, it is easy to clean your style at the end. And heres the point: im not going for the wet look, so matte products work very well. I mostly use Tigi matte separation workable wax recommended in this forum. But i also did it with clay, putty, paste, and other waxes.
Waxes come in all diffrent kind of holds, so im sure youll find the right one.
Remember, with wax, less is often moreWink

Edit by myself: i also use some hairspray at windy days, but even without it, the hair stays in place mostly.
Give it a try, and report back!
08-13-2014, 04:19 AM
Thats essentially what I do anyway but ill have one last try. I ordered the suavecito so that'll be hete tomorrow, as well as a a foldable comb. I would upload pics but that requires 50 posts!

My previous hairstyle was no2 sides choppy length on top with longer lengtg in the fringe. It had been 5 weeks since my last cut, all I did was shavr back and sides, so I feel I may need a fresh cut just to tidy that up.

Any other suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Thanks mate.
08-13-2014, 06:02 AM
Its kind of hard to imagine how it would be possible to get a center parting like you said.
Maybe tell us your styling routine.
Because when i did my blowdry, for volume, its almost impossible to get this center parting even when i try to do it with my hands.
Maybe you use too much product? This could make the hair very heavy, and they then tend to fall down to the left an right side of your head. Or do you have something like a natural center part?
11-04-2014, 08:07 AM
I had the exact same problem, specifically when I used Layrite pomade with my hair. I switched up to Suavecito and it works like magic with a decent hold! I find that applying the pomade to towel dried hair works best and then combing and blow drying at the same time helps it dry in the position you want. If you have thick hair, like me, I ask my barber to thin it out a bit more on top so it's lighter in weight - therefore easier to style. I also use pure Argan oil about once or twice a week on my hair to soften it as it's very thick! This seems to work for me, hope my advice comes in handy!
11-15-2014, 04:17 AM
Suavecito firm hold is the way forward. Holds my modern slick all day long without the hair coming undone
01-10-2015, 11:57 AM
(08-12-2014 01:17 PM)justkeeplivin Wrote:  So I recently shaved the sides to a number two and slicked back my hair (modern slick). Loved it at first but I am now getting extremely annoyed. The pomade I use (black and white, oil based) has very little hold. I style as detailed in the thread on this same forum, yet my hair falls into a centre parting at the slightest breeze or nod of my head. Highly irritating. My hair was cut to have a longer fringe, so that may be the issue, but I'm going to try some suavecito pomade soon for extra hold. In the meantime is there anything I can do to combat it? I have tried extra hold hairspray, doesn't work. Have tried a stronger hold gel type stuff, doesn't work. Help!

Have you tried Spiker Water resistant styling glue by Ice Hair? I use this stuff all the time and it's the strongest holding wax I've ever used. Anyways just a thought, perhaps you can look it up. It's popular here in Vancouver, BC. Cheers
01-14-2015, 10:44 PM
my hair just naturally does want to slick back what to do
03-11-2015, 07:19 PM
try sauvecito firm hold, it holds very well.
10-26-2015, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 10:00 AM by jroel.)
Layrite Superhold is amazing. But im having trouble with my slick back. It tends to always want to part down the middle in the back. I've tried multiple products. Im not sure what to do.
11-18-2015, 07:54 PM
I am a heart face guy!! I need a hairstyle idea and I tried going for a slick back using American crew pomade (I have straight thick hair) and it doesn't work. It make a center parting at the slightest nod of my head... So basically... I want to know a good hairstyle for a heart shaped man!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Urgent slick back problem. DrySlickBack 1 517 09-05-2016 04:24 AM
Last Post: Salazar Mojo
  What to do with poofy asian hair? Straight hair styling problems Lutas 6 54,922 02-11-2016 12:57 PM
Last Post: AntonD
  Keeping Stray Hairs Down? (Modern Slicked Back) jojo_ 1 1,027 11-14-2015 11:45 AM
Last Post: Geddes123
  Classic Slick Back Crown (back) parting!? jroel 0 532 10-26-2015 10:07 AM
Last Post: jroel