Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Slicked Back Hair Guide: Styles, Haircuts, Products, Pictures, Advice and More
03-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Thumbs Up Slicked Back Hair Guide: Styles, Haircuts, Products, Pictures, Advice and More
Gentlemen, we shall continue in this thread our extremely popular slicked back hair guide. This is the second part of the guide as the first part (in the link) was getting too big, especially with all the slicked back hair pictures. In any case, there is a lot of information and advice on the slicked back hairstyle in that first part of the guide, so check the link above to go through the first part of the guide and see plenty of inspiring hairstyle pictures as well as all the hair product recommendations and styling advice.

As said, we will continue the second part of the guide in this thread, so please ask your questions here. If this second part of the guide gets too big again, we will start a third part. In this part, we will continue with much more advice, information and answers concerning the slick back and the hair products that we recommend. We will also continue to post plenty of picture sets of the hairstyle.

Ok, so back to one of our forum's favorite men's hairstyles: the slicked back hairstyle! I will start this second part by posting a good set of slicked back pictures. However, before posting below the first set of slick back pictures, let's quickly recap from the first part of the guide some of the basics of the slicked back hairstyle:
  • There are two types of slick back styles: the classic style and the modern style.
  • The classic slick back is all about flatness while the modern style is all about volume (while keeping the styled-back aesthetics).
  • An example of the classic slick back would be Jimmy Darmody's hairstyle in Boardwalk Empire (played by Michael Pitt).
  • An example of the modern slick back would be David Beckham's slicked back undercut.
  • Overall, the slicked back hairstyle favors the use of pomade, hairstyling cream and some styling waxes. Hair dryers for men are awesome for styling the modern slick back.
  • The hairstyle favors the straight and wavy hair types for men.
  • Men with curly hair should only attempt the modern slick back, not the classic slick back.
  • The hair length in the slick back can be as long as you want, although the minimum length is a medium length which is between 2 to 6 inches of hair length.
The pictures below cover the two types of slick back styles. I have also included a picture of Jimmy Darmody's slicked back hairstyle (classic slick, first picture) and of David Beckham's slick back hairstyle (modern slick, second picture).

You are free to ask questions, post advice, post pictures or comment as much as you want on anything to do with the slick back hairstyle. The staff team will continue posting many more pictures, including variants of the slick back style like the equally-popular slicked back Undercut. We will also include more advice and information, aside from any of the advice that we post in any questions asked.

With that said, let's rock on with the slick! Smile

[Image: 0850336a4c9c9de3e470f708f7f766f0.jpg]

[Image: ee6b025ce6b4c2ee4f5ff712e402d40b.jpg]

[Image: 7f15eabf374e7839f77ba43c34b795ed.jpg]

[Image: 17bec6c25bdec7ff1d66027f06523b88.jpg]

[Image: a699b5fc666fc1059590cc635fb9ca6f.jpg]

[Image: 23c3fcb854ca168f74525d35930ddad1.jpg]

[Image: 038cd54500ffc03b36f3aa113f788379.jpg]

[Image: 9ef08afa2854cfbd80b12c69e4128dac.jpg]

[Image: 0533c43310909311f541b85016fde910.jpg]

[Image: 2a8e57f75b33264ae0de93ca2394ac40.jpg]

[Image: ac20639f6ef612ca7d4f4a72980e84c5.jpg]

[Image: 51fd6b811afc35491aab6feb33f51e18.jpg]

[Image: ec09d655bd23c84fda103e9f291d1805.jpg]

[Image: f68e116c743f270ec5a9b9dd7773112f.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Undercut haircut or taper cut for slicked back hair?
Here's an interesting question posted by a forum member in the previous part of the guide, which I will answer here.

(03-10-2015 06:03 AM)Briscogun Wrote:  This is a great resource, thanks for posting this. I'm finally trying a slick back style even though my pomade is only so-so (I have to re-wet it and re-slick it a few times a day), but I have a question regarding the best length for the sides. Is it best to do some sort of a taper on the sides, or just let it stay long enough that I can slick that part back, too?

I like how undercuts look on some guys, but my head is more on the round side and I work in a professional environment so not sure it work on multiple levels.

Looking for some advice if possible. Thanks!

The haircut for the slicked back hairstyle on the sides and back of the head can be done as one may prefer. There are plenty of men's haircuts to choose from; you have the taper haircut, the fade, the Undercut and the Regulation Cut aka mid-contour haircut (plus many other similar cuts and variations). That's the great thing about the slicked back hair style, it goes well with just about any haircut and it's a convertible hairstyle, which means that it's easily changed to another hairstyle without having to modify the haircut or hair too much (aside from any styling). You can go from a slick back to a dapper side part in less than a minute.

If you have more of a round face, then I'd certainly go with a taper cut on the sides. The Undercut works very well for men who have vertical temples or who have temples slightly angled. With rounder temples and a rounder frontal face shape, you pretty much need to balance it out with a good taper cut.

The good thing about the taper haircut is that you get to choose how long you want it. Any good barber will cut you a taper cut with extreme precision, so you can tell the barber exactly what it is that you want and he/she will cut it.

For slicked back hair with a round face shape, I'd recommend that you go with a fast taper cut. What this means is that you have the hair that delineates the top of your head from the sides and back of your head cut fast with scissors so that, once you get to about 2 inches below said delineating line, the hair is then clipped (i.e. with a hair clipper) and not cut.

The hair length at the hairline of the ears and nape in the taper haircut for the slicked back hairstyle is very short. While this may sound like some complex mens haircut, it really isn't for a skilled barber or hairdresser. What you have to ask your barber for is a fast and short taper haircut. This essentially tells the barber that he will cut your sides short in a small amount of space (i.e. the aforementioned 2 inches below the delineating line) while the taper cut will be ending at the hairline (of the ears and neck) with a very-short hair clipper length.

By all means, you can simply ask your barber for a regular taper haircut and then see if you'd like the taper to be faster and/or shorter. I highly recommend that you do it like that if this is your first time getting a taper haircut or if your barber or hairdresser has yet to familiarize himself/herself fully with your hair type, hair density and head structure.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-11-2015, 09:17 AM
The cool slicked back Undercut of Jimmy Darmody and curly hair styling.
When it comes to slicked back hair for men with curly hair, one should approach the styling as finger-styling only. Do not use a comb to comb your hair back; if you must, only use a good wide tooth to softly comb the hair back and prepare it for finger styling

Once your curls are combed back with either a wide-tooth comb or your fingers, you then continue using your fingers forming a rake to style your hair back. With your fingers forming some kind of rake (wide apart), you should start at the forehead with your fingers and move the fingers back through your curls. You do this motion as many times as you want until you're happy with how your curls have been set in the slicked back hairstyle.

Jimmy Darmody's slicked back hair pictures:

Of course, Michael Pitt's character Jimmy Darmody in Boardwalk Empire renewed the interest in the slicked back style. In fact and to be more precise, Jimmy Darmody renewed the interest in the slick back Undercut. This is a type of hairstyle that combined the slicking of the hair back (as per this guide) with the Undercut haircut.

As I've mentioned in my previous reply in this guide, slick back hair can be cut on the sides and back of the head with all kinds of haircuts. You can do a taper cut, a fade, some form of contour cut or just go with a single clipper-length Undercut. Lots of possibilities when it comes to the haircuts available, and each one will make your slick back hair a little bit more different. After all, it's your hair and you're free to customize it!

So, as part of this slicked back guide, I'm posting below a good set of pictures of Jimmy Darmody's slicked back Undercut. It's worth saying that Michael Pitt (actor playing Jimmy Darmody) also slicks his hair back in real life, and he has cut his slicked hair in both the Undercut haircut and the taper haircut.

[Image: ee047b443bc60e871a6bf35251ce9289.jpg]

[Image: f5ec484bd96e37acc052e77353bb0f80.jpg]

[Image: 7d6391b16a80e018a8ac3ff98235a418.jpg]

[Image: 8d1bca31c71d7253aa6c2fdd884a9ac0.jpg]

[Image: 9b5ec85cf849b4847349922cde933a92.jpg]

[Image: 916cd6e802074304106e4612e40b16ea.jpg]

[Image: 4aabacf3bf71d54a4b3b85748b957c5f.jpg]

[Image: 0aeefcfd93450888c4c710ab0e6e7b94.jpg]

[Image: 154c897add2cac45a2b54ddf46dbceb6.jpg]

03-12-2015, 08:39 AM
RE: Slicked Back Hair Guide: Styles, Haircuts, Products, Pictures, Advice and More
Thank you for the reply in the first post, TMHF! I'm going to give the taper cut a shot in the next few days and I have one of your recommended pomades on order, so hopefully within the next few days/week I will be up and running with a nicer looking slick back. Thanks again!
03-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Always start long with a taper haircut and then adjust the length shorter at will.
(03-12-2015 08:39 AM)Briscogun Wrote:  Thank you for the reply in the first post, TMHF! I'm going to give the taper cut a shot in the next few days and I have one of your recommended pomades on order, so hopefully within the next few days/week I will be up and running with a nicer looking slick back. Thanks again!

You're welcome!

A taper haircut is an essential haircut for barbers, so just about any barber can cut a good taper. As I mentioned, ask him first for a regular taper and tell him to leave it a bit long as you want to see how it looks and then perhaps decide to have it shorter. He will either cut it with shears or shears with clipper, and, then, if you aren't happy with how it looks, he will very likely just adjust the clipper length to a lower one and proceed to buzz it shorter.

It's also always good to go to the same barber once you start getting more customized haircuts like you will be doing. This is good as a barber familiarized with your hairstyling taste and hair will be able to cut your hair precisely how you want it to look. With a new barber, you run the risk of getting a bad haircut if it's anything outside of the generic cuts for men.

Feel free to keep us posted!

03-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Defining the modern slick back with classic slicked back hair.
Awesome, this hairstyle kills it!

Like admin posted, there are two types of slick back styles - classic & modern. There have been some epic examples of both styles in the pictures posted in this guide already, so I will try now to go through each type of slicked back hair.

Classic slick back:

With the classic slick you leave your hair flat by combing it back several times - as much as you want until it looks like you want it to look. The first picture is of Jake Gyllenhaal's hair in a classic slicked back in the movie Prisoners. Jake Gyllenhaal has been a fan for a long time of both types of slick styles.

[Image: 204a1ff9bf805a1b16a996042c450f01.jpg]

[Image: f964bc15b42f811df7a1e7a14441a50f.jpg]

[Image: 59321915d58509ff6dbef36e66d76fc4.jpg]

Modern slick back:

With the modern slick back you leave some volume on your hair. The styling is first with a comb & then with your fingers. You use the comb to direct the hair back & then you use your fingers to give body & fullness to the hair.

[Image: 9546e8e564c0cba7eca197e36122de0f.jpg]

[Image: a547a74fd997ee9dd5dc6fec6186c7c8.jpg]

[Image: 9225b28482b24a64fc7b7b1ea9023c30.jpg]
03-15-2015, 02:01 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Slicked Back Hair Guide: Styles, Haircuts, Products, Pictures, Advice and More
Slicked back is a classic that won't die!!!
03-15-2015, 11:37 PM
RE: Slicked Back Hair Guide: Styles, Haircuts, Products, Pictures, Advice and More
I recently got an undercut by my barber with a #1 guard on the sides and back and left the length on top. My hair on top is about 2-3 inches and doesn't seem like it is long enough to slick straight back. I am able to slick it back, but also to the side and the lengthy side just hangs off and doesn't really blend well because the sides are so short. I'm also not sure if I have an oblong or oval face shape. Should I be getting an undercut with a perhaps a #2 or #3 guard or even just a taper instead? I am scared that if I asked for a taper, the barber will attempt to blend the hair by cutting some of the top off. I want my hair on top to be as long as David Beckam's, so I'm going to keep growing it. I also have straight asian hair. Thanks in advance!!
03-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Pictures of the classic slick back hairstyle of Jared Leto.
Here is a set of pictures of Jared Leto's classic slick back hair. While Leto's platinum blonde bleached hair gives the hairstyle a modern look, the actual slicking is of the classic type. Notice how the hair remains even throughout the slick and fairly symmetrical.

[Image: tumblr_nl7r5wFpsn1tl0rano4_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nl7r5wFpsn1tl0rano3_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nl7r5wFpsn1tl0rano6_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nl7r5wFpsn1tl0rano1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nl7r5wFpsn1tl0rano2_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nl7r5wFpsn1tl0rano5_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nl7r5wFpsn1tl0rano8_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nl7r5wFpsn1tl0rano7_500.jpg]

03-24-2015, 12:12 PM
My hair was wavy, now straightened. My fringe roughly touches the eyebrow.

I'm having problem slicking back my hair. The hair at the back, right side, won't stay down even when I use strong wax, something like a cowlick . The shape of the front is totally wrong too, it looks like one bundle of hair, it doesn't have the natural flow backwards, it always goes towards the left. Do advise.
03-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Hair length and hair type are crucial to get a good slick back style!
(03-24-2015 12:12 PM)zeth-v7 Wrote:  My hair was wavy, now straightened. My fringe roughly touches the eyebrow.

I'm having problem slicking back my hair. The hair at the back, right side, won't stay down even when I use strong wax, something like a cowlick . The shape of the front is totally wrong too, it looks like one bundle of hair, it doesn't have the natural flow backwards, it always goes towards the left. Do advise.

How long is your hair and is it fully straight (since you mention your hair is straightened).

Hair length and hair type can hugely influence whether you get a good slicked back hairstyle or a bad slick back hairstyle. Someone with coiled hair that is 2 inches long will not get a good slick back style, much less a good classic slick back.

03-31-2015, 01:51 AM
The length is 3 inches give or take. It's pretty straight aside from the fried ends.
Recently, I tried Suavecito Firme but it still couldn't hold down my hair, one side keeps sticking out awkwardly. Do I need a haircut or something?
03-31-2015, 07:34 AM
If you have thick straight hair, then you will need five inches of hair length.
If your hair currently is 3 inches long, then I recommend that you grow it longer to about 5 inches long. You mention that a side of the hair sticks out, and this is typical of thick straight hair, which is a bit more difficult to lay flat in a slick back hair style. Extra hair length is your ally in your quest for a classic slick back, so grow the top of your head patiently for the next 3 months and you will have a pretty cool classic slick back.

In the meantime and since your hair looks to be thick, I'd recommend trying vertical hairstyles like the Brush Up hairstyle or any of the textured messy hairstyles that are very easy to do.

08-22-2015, 08:19 AM
Hey, I have straight black hair, I've tried to slick it back, but it won't stay back, even when my hair is completely wet. My hair's length is 4 inches.
What am I doing wrong?
12-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Hello! I really like Brad Pitts or David beckhams slick back. I tried to get it at a barber shop but he didn't do so well. When people say cut the back does that mean that also has to be shaved? Because mine isn't.
If you can possibly tell me how to tell my barber exactly how to get either cut that would be much appreciated. Thank you!
12-17-2015, 10:14 AM
(12-09-2015 09:17 PM)wavywest Wrote:  If you can possibly tell me how to tell my barber exactly how to get either cut that would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I guess showing some photos to your barber using smartphone would do the trick..
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need Some Advice Camden 0 59 11-25-2016 06:15 PM
Last Post: Camden
  My hair / hairline and haircuts I could get . Help. John_cook115 0 102 11-15-2016 05:52 PM
Last Post: John_cook115
  Side part slick back Keith_H21 0 193 11-01-2016 07:50 PM
Last Post: Keith_H21
  I need help with wearing my hair back. daily_aenima 0 142 11-01-2016 02:45 PM
Last Post: daily_aenima