Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slick Back Pompadour Hairstyle and Haircut Help?
07-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Slick Back Pompadour Hairstyle and Haircut Help?
Hello! More recently, I've been doing my hair in a classic slick back style. My hair is currently about 2.5 inches on top. I usually use American Crew Fiber to get a more matte look, because to others my age (18), the shiny stuff comes off as being "greasy".

Anyways, I'm considering going for a classic slick back pompadour look. The pompadour can't exceed two (2) inches in bulk, so I think it would be a rather small one, but a pomp is still a pomp! I also can't have my hair longer than four (4) inches in length due to employer standards.

Would I be able to achieve this look if I let just my bangs grow out to about 4 inches and left the rest of the hair to be 2.5 to 3 inches on top, or would I just end up looking like a goofball? Any help is appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2015, 08:05 AM
RE: Slick Back Pompadour Hairstyle and Haircut Help?
Hi mate if I've read you correctly you're talking of leaving the frontal quiff area with four inches or so while the rest of the hair on the top is shorter. Right?

If so then that's a great haircut for a pompadour hairstyle. You really only ned the length on the forelock which is where the quiff goes in a pompadour. The forelock is the frontal part of your scalp. The rest of the hair is slicked back into a duck's derriere shape. This includes the hair on the sides of the head so make sure that you've got enough hair length on the sides for a classic slicked pompadour hairstyle. Don't do like some guys are doing nowadays of doing a pompadour undercut hairstyle. A real pompadour also has the hair on the sides slicked back!

Don't overdo the hair length on the quiff. Four to five inches is a good length for some great volume, but don't grow it to more than six inches or about fifteen centimetres as then it can become a bit of an issue shaping the quiff.

Make sure that you a good men's hair pomade for the pompadour. It has to have a strong hold as otherwise your pompadour will only last a couple of minutes. By far the best pomades for the pompadour are the oil pomades from back in the day. See this hair pomade list that has two oil pomades that work fantastically to style a pompadour. One of the pomades has petrolatum (Black and White pomade) so it can give a very slicked finish if that's what you're into. If you don't like the greaser look, then get the other oil pomade in the list that doesn't contain petrolatum.

If you would rather use a water pomade then you can't go wrong with Layrite. See this post comparing the water pomades from Layrite vs Suavecito as you will get a good idea of what the water soluble pomade of Layrite is for. I highly recommend that you get that one if you're looking for a water soluble pomade.

The only real difference between an oil pomade and a water pomade is that a water pomade is easier to wash off. But then water pomades do not give the hyper greased look of what the old petrolatum pomades could do. Instead the water pomades like the one from Layrite give a very clean high shine look which looks a tad greasy but not as if you dipped your head into a bucket of grease.

Depending on what type of finish you want as I've explained go with any of the oil pomades in the list above or instead go with the water pomade from Layrite that you will find in the link above comparing the water pomades from Layrite and Suavecito. The water pomade from Suavecito is great too but it doesn't have as much hold as the Layrite water pomade.
07-08-2015, 09:34 AM
(07-08-2015 08:05 AM)Bradley Wrote:  Hi mate if I've read you correctly you're talking of leaving the frontal quiff area with four inches or so while the rest of the hair on the top is shorter. Right?

If so then that's a great haircut for a pompadour hairstyle. You really only ned the length on the forelock which is where the quiff goes in a pompadour. The forelock is the frontal part of your scalp. The rest of the hair is slicked back into a duck's derriere shape. This includes the hair on the sides of the head so make sure that you've got enough hair length on the sides for a classic slicked pompadour hairstyle. Don't do like some guys are doing nowadays of doing a pompadour undercut hairstyle. A real pompadour also has the hair on the sides slicked back!

Don't overdo the hair length on the quiff. Four to five inches is a good length for some great volume, but don't grow it to more than six inches or about fifteen centimetres as then it can become a bit of an issue shaping the quiff.

Make sure that you a good men's hair pomade for the pompadour. It has to have a strong hold as otherwise your pompadour will only last a couple of minutes. By far the best pomades for the pompadour are the oil pomades from back in the day. This hair pomade list[/url] that has two oil pomades that work fantastically to style a pompadour. One of the pomades has petrolatum (Black and White pomade) so it can give a very slicked finish if that's what you're into. If you don't like the greaser look, then get the other oil pomade in the list that doesn't contain petrolatum.

If you would rather use a water pomade then you can't go wrong with Layrite. Comparing the water pomades from Layrite vs Suavecito[/url] as you will get a good idea of what the water soluble pomade of Layrite is for. I highly recommend that you get that one if you're looking for a water soluble pomade.

The only real difference between an oil pomade and a water pomade is that a water pomade is easier to wash off. But then water pomades do not give the hyper greased look of what the old petrolatum pomades could do. Instead the water pomades like the one from Layrite give a very clean high shine look which looks a tad greasy but not as if you dipped your head into a bucket of grease.

Depending on what type of finish you want as I've explained go with any of the oil pomades in the list above or instead go with the water pomade from Layrite that you will find in the link above comparing the water pomades from Layrite and Suavecito. The water pomade from Suavecito is great too but it doesn't have as much hold as the Layrite water pomade.

Alright, thank you so much for all the help and advice! I think I'm going to order some Layrite pomade, I've heard really good things about it. I would use Murray's Pomade but that stuff is just too thick and heavy. Then, I'll take a trip back to my barber at the beginning of August! I can't wait!!!
07-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Right good choice in going with the Layrite water pomade in the list as Murray's pomade isn't the type of brand that I would recommend for hairstyles like quiffs and pompadours. The Murray's hairdressing pomade is just too heavy like you say and greasy, not to mention hard to remove. The water pomade from Layrite has all the good things that the Murray's pomade has, only that the pomade from Layrite doesn't have the bad things found in the Murray's hairdressing pomade.

I'm not bashing on Murray's pomade or their other products but as a barber, I'm just not a fan of their products when there are superior products available for any in their line. Even if all you wanted was a super greasy head with a pompadour, I would go with the Black and White pomade that I mentioned in my previous post and that I linked to in the list as opposed to the hairdressing pomade from Murray's. You might as well bathe your hair in mineral oil instead of using that Murray's hairdressing pomade and it'll be cheaper too. Cheers!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 96 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Side part slick back Keith_H21 0 200 11-01-2016 07:50 PM
Last Post: Keith_H21
  I need help with wearing my hair back. daily_aenima 0 148 11-01-2016 02:45 PM
Last Post: daily_aenima
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 280 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1