Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side Part v. Combover
07-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Side Part v. Combover
So lately I have been noticing a lot of young guys styling their hair in a side part, but they call it a comb over. I just find this a little funny because to me, a comb over has always meant a balding man taking the hair he has and combing it over to cover the spots where he is losing hair (hence the name). So am I right in distinguishing the difference between these two styles, or are the terms "side part" and "comb over" actually interchangeable?Huh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2014, 02:53 PM
RE: Side Part v. Combover
A combover has been regularly associated as the hairstyle of balding men, who would go on to grow the hair on the side of the head to then cover the top of their (bald) head. However, a combover can also refer to hair that has been combed to the side all across the top of the head. Depending on the location where you're at, the term "combover" or "side comb" will be used or not (and possibly some other very-local hairstyling terms like a "modern side part").

It should be said that people, as usual when it comes to men's hair and hairstyles, do confuse and mistake a side part with a combover. I have seen even hairdressers get the terms wrong so, as a general rule, one should always be bringing pictures or printed pictures (from this forum if possible) to show to their barber or hairdresser. That way there is no mistaking of what one wants done on his mane.

I am posting below the definitions and differences between a side part and a combover aka side comb. I'm posting pictures too so that you can visually see the differences as well as posting a couple of recommended products that really suit each of the hairstyles.

Side part

The side part is a hairstyle where the hair is parted (i.e. styled to the side) on either of the temples (left and right). He hair is parted towards the other temple, while the hair on the other side of the parted line is combed towards the opposite side of the hair on the top. This creates a visible "parted" line and thus the name: side "part".

By the way, a side swept is a hairstyle where the hair is parted just like in the regular side part but the hair is flattened and laid low (usually with pomade or hair gel).

A great pomade to use for a side part is THIS one as it is a clean pomade that leaves the hair with a good hold and malleable.

I am posting below some pictures of the side part hairstyle. Notice the visible parted line.

[Image: 6a1241d86ebd4b8bc42a648a95df58ca.jpg]

[Image: cary.jpg]

[Image: Robert-Redford.jpg]

[Image: 042811_steve_carell110428185519.jpg]

[Image: officex-large.jpg]

[Image: f8adf35aaa4877ae56975bba7f6fc9ff.jpg]

[Image: 487c629b33a8ae7697b9ab8a81ac9536.jpg]

Combover or side comb

The combover is also known as a side comb. In this mens hairstyle, the hair is styled to the side but without a visible parted line. Thus, in the combover, the hair is parted low on either side of the head, so technically there is no visible parted line. All the hair on the top of the head is styled in the same direction, whereas in the side part, almost all the hair on the top of the head is styled in one direction, but a small part of the hair on the top of the head (i.e. hair on the other side of the parted line) will be styled in the opposite direction of the hair on most of the head.

In any case, I suggest that you use the term "side comb" to describe a combover and leave combover as the Donal Trump hairstyle that we have all grown accustomed to call! Big Grin

A combover is usually more of a casual hairstyle (compared to the side part). A combover is also associated with the quiffing of the forelock (i.e. styling a Quiff) and with bangs and fringes similar to mop tops. Thus, for combover styles, products like hair mousses (like THIS one) and hair wax (like THIS one) are very welcome and yield some pretty cool casual combover/side comb styles! Smile

[Image: 9e32cfb7c5687903a6064a5cc919de7f.jpg]

[Image: 2669_1_48943.jpg]

[Image: zac-efron-gq-magazine-may-2009-04.jpg]

[Image: jryG1I2.jpg]

[Image: ff5cbf521910768d1d1a323b87603e18.jpg]

[Image: 3501531d86df5e7b4c96d250de90deef.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Side part slick back Keith_H21 0 191 11-01-2016 07:50 PM
Last Post: Keith_H21
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 310 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  do you guys recommend a hairstyle for somebody with a patch on the side of their head kaylinm1 0 226 07-29-2016 11:02 AM
Last Post: kaylinm1
  How do I achieve this casual side part hairstyle with volume? Gary99 0 514 06-19-2016 09:48 AM
Last Post: Gary99