Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I cut my hair to deal with Florida heat?
08-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Should I cut my hair to deal with Florida heat?
I'm moving to west palm beach in about a two weeks and I currently have medium to long hair and undecided what I wanna do with it. Now Ive dealt with long hair more I. The winter season so it's not to bad but some people tell me I'm gonna wanna cut it all off because the heat kills especially down in Florida. If i decide to keep my hair what are some ways I can keep it well maintained in the heat and humidity??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2015, 05:38 PM
RE: Should I cut my hair to deal with Florida heat?
Hi Luke, I've lived in central Florida (Melbourne / Satellite Beach) most of my life (13/26 years) and have had medium-length / long-hair (shoulder - Mid-blade length) much of the time. Here are my views & thoughts :

First, I think that the gains of keeping your hair long is greater than the gains of getting it short (except for trying to fit in with the general culture) even in Florida. The protection you get from keeping the sun, UV rays, some pollutants, and mosquitoes off much of your head & neck are bigger than the costs of dealing with the humidity, heat, and little bit of extra hair management. The only exceptions being if you have severe lice problems, going through an illness, etc... (which i'm assuming is not likely).

Second, I have seen best results by straightening on the lowest heat setting using a protective heat spray before straightening, following up with Olive Oil, and finishing with a boar-bristle-brush. Straightening alone has had only a marginal positive effect on keeping frizz down and if your hair tends to be naturally wavy like mine, than it'll go wavy again easily in the humidity (Not to mention it can really damage your hair!). Olive Oil is good for the hair, scalp, and helps to keep the frizz away (I also like the sheen it leaves & think it makes hair more manageable). The boar-bristle-brush will to help to distribute the olive and natural oils, stimulate the scalp, helps to reduce frizz even on its own (after detangling), and helps to minimize "clumpy-ness". For me, this morning "grooming routine" including straightening takes roughly 10-12 minutes (with slightly longer than shoulder length hair).

Third, If you haven't already, switch to a natural and non-sulfate shampoo. It has been my experience, that common OTC sulfate shampoos (and alcohol containing conditioners) that strip your hair of natural oils
have cause a lot more frizz and difficulty in management. Combine that with the heat & humidity, and i'll start to look like Doc. Emmet Brown from Back to the Future. A home-made Aloe-Vera gel, Coconut Oil, Lemon Juice, Natural Oils concoction is what I use and works great. ALOE VERA helps to keep your hair growing, keep the dandruff away naturally, and is anti-inflammatory (all good things for the Florida heat).

Hope this helps, good luck.

(08-03-2015 11:32 AM)luke0913 Wrote:  I'm moving to west palm beach in about a two weeks and I currently have medium to long hair and undecided what I wanna do with it. Now Ive dealt with long hair more I. The winter season so it's not to bad but some people tell me I'm gonna wanna cut it all off because the heat kills especially down in Florida. If i decide to keep my hair what are some ways I can keep it well maintained in the heat and humidity??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------