Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Short haircuts for thick hair? experts opinions
03-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Short haircuts for thick hair? experts opinions
Can the barbers and experts in the forum recommend short haircuts for thick hair? do you recommend thinning the hair to make it less thick? I am talking of the option that hairdressers sometimes give you when getting a haircut that they use a comb over scissors cutting technique to remove bulk from the hair.
Recommendations for thick hair short mens haircuts to be for all hair types if possible so from straight hair to curly hair. I am personally interested in what some of you have to say but sure this topic will help others no matter their hair type.
Lastly will any hair clipper be enough for thick hair or is it better to go with the premium clippers?? thanks bros Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2014, 04:32 PM
RE: Short haircuts for thick hair? experts opinions
James, let's first establish what thick hair is. When people refer to "thick hair", what they are actually meaning is "dense hair" or a high hair density (i.e. more hair strands per square inch on the scalp).

The higher the hair density one has, the more his hair will look bulky and "thick" as a whole (that's where the "thick" association comes from). Of course, hair will also differ in cross-sectional area (i.e. shaft thickness) in every male but the difference is too small to account for the effect that some men get from having too-bulky hair. On the other hand, hair density will vary across a 'wider" (so to speak) range, which readily accounts for giving hair its bulky appearance on those men with high densities, while men with low hair densities (typical of male pattern baldness) will seem to have overall thinner hair (although thinning of the cross-sectional area does also occur in male pattern baldness).

If I recall correctly, you also have a copy of The Men's Hair Book and Rogelio (author of the book) explains all of this in great detail in the book as well as also debunks many myths surrounding the semantic association of thick hair and its growth (lots of interesting tidbits to read in the "myth debunking" chapter of the book!).

As for the actual short haircuts for thick hair, there are certainly some haircuts that are better suited for this particular density of hair (in this post, I will mention "thick hair" so as to refer to a "high density" of hair, if only for helping readers to better assimilate my post after having establishing at the beginning of the post what thick hair really is).

Because of the natural bulkiness of thick hair, haircuts that are gradually trimmed or clipped are great for thick hair. Haircuts that create sharp edges like in the old-school Undercut are not good cuts for thick hair, especially if the edge (perimeter of the top of the head where the Undercut starts) is left sharp. However, if the edge of the Undercut is smoothed with a fast taper or a 2 step Undercut then, yes, the Undercut is a good haircut for thick/high density hair.

Again, because of its bulkiness, removing length from the overall mass of the hair is a great option to please the aesthetics of any mens hairstyle for thick hair. Ideally what you want is very short sides and back while the hair on the top is left at a short length, which is anywhere from near shaved to 2 inches. Going back to the taper haircut I mentioned earlier, the hair on the sides and back of the head should be cut in a very short taper, ideally a clipper/shears taper. Avoid fade cuts for the most part as fades will have the paradoxical effect of skewing the aesthetics of the hair on the top of the head.

When it comes to taper haircuts for thick hair, I am talking of short tapers like these ones as per a short businessman cut or Ivy League haircut:

[Image: 3a334320fae668ffb27b104eaf2382df.jpg]

[Image: gerard-pique-profile.jpg]

[Image: 414px-Damon_cropped.jpg]

[Image: e426d0cee985d10fe70a43496318d769.jpg]

[Image: Take+That+and+X+Factor+star+Gary+Barlow%...merged.jpg]

Or a 2 Step Undercut like these:

[Image: 2c063c1975626e495590e949cc492938.jpg]

[Image: a50a0b3bff5d8df09bd1f96af2223c64.jpg]

[Image: RcUSib8.jpg]

With regards to the styling of the hair on the top, you can choose anything you like such as a side swept, a brush up or a modern slick back. Having thick hair (i.e. high hair density) is actually a blessing in disguise as it is always better to have more hair than to have less hair.

Thick hair is awesome to style and recreate shapes with (like quiffs), provided that you actually know how to style the hair. It is in fact at the hairstyling stage where most guys fail, which is why many go mad over their thick hair and prefer to look for very short haircuts to obliterate their bulky locks. We had the case of a forum member with a high hair density (i.e. thick hair) who asked for advice on getting a cool hairstyle for his thick hair and who, after getting a good sense of how to style, cut and grow his thick hair, was able to prove unintentionally that thick hair can look great when one knows what he is doing (this is why we always recommend to go through all our forum guides on mens hairstyles and also read The Men's Hair Book to get the full grasp on real hairstyling and your own customized hair aesthetics).

Other than taper haircuts or undercuts with smooth edges, you are right in your suggestion of the types of buzz cuts. Namely, I am talking of the military haircuts which are not all buzz cuts but which certainly have one thing in common: very short hair on the sides and back of the head, and that's precisely what men with thick hair need when it comes to a short haircut.

A Crew Cut like the one below is an excellent haircut and style choice for men with thick hair:

[Image: 397px-Crew_Cut%2C_Semi_Short_Taper.jpg]

Go through our military haircuts guide to pinpoint the haircuts that you like the most, although, for high hair densities, the High and Tight, the Crew Cut, the Ivy League, the Regulation Cut and any of the old fashioned buzz cut styles (Burr Cut, Induction Cut, Brush Cut) will be great styling options. Exclusively for men with tight curly hair, the High Top Fade is a haircut and hairstyle option that fits pretty much the essential requirement of gradually tapered short sides and back (although the High Top Fade haircut is done in a fade, fades are less of an issue for tight curly hair than for straight or wavy hair).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Lastly and as per your question, men with thick hair need to be extra careful with the choosing of a hair clipper. In this forum, we advocate the owning of a hair clipper to give yourself haircuts in the comfort of your house and in minutes as well as save a lot of money down the line from not having to visit the barbershop as often as you'd do without owning your own hair clipper. What this means is that men with thick hair wanting to buy a hair clipper must be more demanding when it comes to specs of a clipper. A hair clipper with a rotary motor (most powerful motor) is essential for men with thick hair, as hair clippers that are not as powerful as hair clippers with rotary motors will not be able to successfully clip the hair in the first clipping attempts. Or worse, the hair clipper will get stuck or die half way through the haircut, and this is specially so with cordless hair clippers.

In this forum, we recommend everyone to look for premium high quality when buying a hair clipper (and other hairstyling tools), so we recommend either this cordless hair clipper from Andis (comes with absolutely everything you need for the perfect haircut and it's an exceptional and tough clipper) or this corded hair clipper from Oster (a classic powerful clipper made for heavy duty use). Either of those two hair clippers in the links are excellent clippers to own, and they make even more sense for men with thick hair who, by nature of their locks, must buy a powerful heavy-duty clipper. By the way, if buying the Oster hair clipper in the link above, then do also get this extra set of 10 attachable guides so that you can have a wide range of lengths to choose from when clipping your own hair (the set of attachable guides is already included in the linked Andis hair clipper).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Good Job TMHF

Some great Short Hairstyles pictures for men with "thick" hair
As a guy with very dense (thick) hair I can relate 100% to what you said, yes it can be frustrating to have it but I think every man would kill to have a thick head like myself,

Could you recommend any medium styles for "thick" hair?
03-22-2014, 02:50 PM
(03-21-2014 06:55 PM)shane88 Wrote:  Good Job TMHF

Some great Short Hairstyles pictures for men with "thick" hair
As a guy with very dense (thick) hair I can relate 100% to what you said, yes it can be frustrating to have it but I think every man would kill to have a thick head like myself,

Could you recommend any medium styles for "thick" hair?

Shane, for medium length, I would pretty much follow the same hair cutting and hairstyling advice I gave for short hair: keep the sides and back very short in a clipper taper or similar, and let the hair on the top do its job naturally. Perfect example of a man with high hair density and medium length hair is Zayn Malik.

Zayn Malik uses the Brush Up hairstyle to take advantage of the length because hair that is too dense (i.e. too much per square inch) will turn into voluminous chaos if not tamed. So the solution is to enhance the chaos up and get a Brush Up. I am actually putting out very soon a full guide on the Brush Up hairstyle but you can check out in the link of Zayn Malik's hairstyles his Brush Up along with other medium length hairstyles. Another hairstyle that goes very well with thick hair is the volume side part. Again, high density hair will naturally have volume so, instead of trying to fully tame the hair into a flat style, take advantage of the volume and side part it naturally (i.e. use fingers), even recreating a bit of a Quiff on the front/forelock.

First picture below is of Zayn Malik's Brush up hairstyle while the second picture if that of a man with thick hair and a side part style with volume. Incidentally, men who are not blessed with a high hair density need a hair dryer to give more volume to their hair while men with high hair density don't need to necessarily spend the money on a hair dryer as their hair will achieve the volume natural (although it's always a good thing to own a hair dryer regardless of hair density, hair type or length).

[Image: zayn_malik_5.jpg]

[Image: 5acfd88842699d7859e5809aa7f5167b.jpg]

03-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Follow to a T what TMHF posted in his reply above mate. Top notch advice and he is right about removing bulk from the laterals of the side and back. Go for a taper or smoothed undercut which is something I also agree since a regular undercut is going to look too awkward. You can also go and get a high and tight which is like an undercut but much shorter and the high and tight really suits men with short thick hair.

And agreed also on what thick hair means. You would need a microscope to really know if you have thick hair and be able to measure it while having too much hair per centimetre square or inch square is actually not that difficult to tell since the difference between low and high can vary by twice the amount of low density. Trust me having almost twice the amount of hair compared to average is a huge difference when you look at it whether yourself in the mirror or ourselves as barbers (and the clippers will also tell us).
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Salvaging a too-short cut aimsme 0 48 12-05-2016 12:40 PM
Last Post: aimsme
  My hair / hairline and haircuts I could get . Help. John_cook115 0 114 11-15-2016 05:52 PM
Last Post: John_cook115
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 221 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander
  Best tall men hairstyles and haircuts for great aesthetics A Tall Guy 1 251 10-20-2016 11:17 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum