Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short hair vs Long hair, short hair men advantages?
12-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Short hair vs Long hair, short hair men advantages?
As a long time long hair dude I really cannot see myself with short hair. But most men have short hair and the thought of cutting my mane does at time wonder my mind. It is more curiosity than anything else but it does. So my question for those ex long hairs or short hair men, what do you think or see as the advantages of having short hair for men?

Since we also have some barber women in the forum, you sure are welcome to chip in to the discussion ladies Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2014, 10:43 AM
RE: Short hair vs Long hair, short hair men advantages?
For me it would have to be convenient. Really long hair is just too needy. I remember reading in the mens hair book how the longer the hair is the more it takes to groom 100% correct on that.
You need patience to grow ur hair long and most guys who get their hairstyles to follow trends don't have the patient for it. This 90% of the male population i would say.
12-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Well my opinion as a former long hair is that short hair has many advantages. From my experience, guys who have had long hair for many years often hesitate to cut their hair and are afraid of what a shorter hairstyle will look and feel like. Some people will also discourage them from cutting their hair, telling them that it will not suit them or that they will regret it once they walk out of the barbershop or hair salon. But there are many advantages to having short hair.

Short hair takes a lot less time to wash and style than long hair, which is a great time saver for men as they get ready for work in the mornings. If you have become used to spending a long time waiting for your hair to dry or as you wrestled with your hair to try and get it to do what you want it to do, you will be a lot happier with spending less time washing and styling it.

If you opt for a short hairstyle, you will be able to accentuate facial features that might have been covered by your long hair in the past. The eyes, ears and cheeks can look more prominent with short hair to frame the face. The perfect example is the undercut hairstyle that really accentuates the eyes and cheeks of men.

One reason for many long hair men hesitating to cut their long hair is because they think that they won't know what to do with their hair once it is short. A drawer full of hair elastics, hair bands and head bands might seem out of place in the bathroom of a guy with a new short hairstyle. However, short hair is very versatile and can be styled in a variety of ways with or without the addition of hair accessories. Use gel to the diffuse hair and bring out natural curls, mousse to add volume for a party and oil-based products to nourish dry, brittle hair throughout the day.

Short hair is easier to manage when the weather is hot and you do not want to have a thick layer of hair around the nape of your neck. It is also convenient to have short hair if you are sporty and you do not wish to have your hair get in the way.

Choosing to cut long hair is not an easy decision to make, especially if you have lived with long hair for many years or even for most of your life. But if you are confident about making the change and want to highlight certain facial features, or you simply want to have an easy to manage hairstyle, then short hair will likely suit you.
12-30-2014, 02:41 PM
I myself have had long hair for a year now, it's starts to get annoying to be honest. I can't really come up with advantages for long hair, but there is one. Really easy to just tie it in to a bun and go out like that, no worries about gel or wax or whatever. I have been noticing a lot of hairs falling off when taking a shower, that's one reason I'll be cutting my hair short again around february.

I think it's good to switch between short and long hair, it's always good to refreshen the hair. As for advantages of short hair? way easier to wash your hair, less hair in the shower drain and even when giving it a quick brush.
01-18-2015, 05:07 PM
There is a little more than short and long, and I think an analysis of all lengths is in order. Over my life I've had buzzed, short, medium and long hair, and think I can offer some perspectives on all.

Ultra short <.5 in

Pros: easy to clean, dries with towel and air in under 5 minutes, doesn't fall out, styles almost automatically, beneficial if you want to wear hats (I get headaches wearing hats with longer hair).

Cons: no option to style, no face shaping

Ultra short hair is very good for being able to get up and go, it is by far the least effort and quickest. That being said, if you want to spend as little effort on your hair as possible it would be strange to be on a forum all about it.

Short .5-2 in

Pros: Easy to clean, dries with towel and air in about 5-10 minutes, rarely has fall out, styles in only a couple minutes, product can allow you to style it in several different ways with the same cut. Easy to spike, some face shaping, product is often not necessary

Cons: Style options are fairly limited based on your cut, styling is often necessary to look good

Short hair will have shape and style, but most of your style will be decided by the haircut. Your ability to adjust it on the fly is not great but it is possible. most short cuts can be morphed from a parted conservative look to spikes, fauxhawk, or slicked with a little product. Bedhead is sometimes a concern and unstyled short hair can look unkempt and messy

Medium 2-6 in

Pros: Expansive style options within one haircut, best option for face shaping, product optional for many styles

Cons: Drying time can exceed 10 minutes without blow drying, fallout will start to occur. Styling is always Necessary to look good

Medium hair will give you a huge number of options on how to style your hair. The use of different hair products and styles allow a HUGE range of stylistic options, a conservative, slightly long regular cut lets you style in many, many ways, from wild, intentional bedhead, conservative side part, pompadour, and many more. this length also lets you shape your face depending on the way you style. HOWEVER

Long 6 in+

Pros: Ability to style is high, can use hair accessories for more styles, Ponytail is an easy style

Cons: Drying time without blow drying is excessive,
01-18-2015, 05:15 PM
There is a little more than short and long, and I think an analysis of all lengths is in order. Over my life I've had buzzed, short, medium and long hair, and think I can offer some perspectives on all.

Ultra short <.5 in

Pros: easy to clean, dries with towel and air in under 5 minutes, doesn't fall out, styles almost automatically, beneficial if you want to wear hats (I get headaches wearing hats with longer hair).

Ultra short hair is very good for being able to get up and go, it is by far the least effort and quickest. That being said, if you want to spend as little effort on your hair as possible it would be strange to be on a forum all about it.

Short .5-2 in

Pros: Easy to clean, dries with towel and air in about 5-10 minutes, rarely has fall out, styles in only a couple minutes, product can allow you to style it in several different ways with the same cut. Easy to spike, some face shaping, product is often not necessary

Cons: Style options are fairly limited based on your cut, styling is often necessary to look good

Short hair will have shape and style, but most of your style will be decided by the haircut. Your ability to adjust it on the fly is not great but it is possible. most short cuts can be morphed from a parted conservative look to spikes, fauxhawk, or slicked with a little product. Bedhead is sometimes a concern and unstyled short hair can look unkempt and messy

Medium 2-6 in

Pros: Expansive style options within one haircut, best option for face shaping, product optional for many styles

Cons: Drying time can exceed 10 minutes without blow drying, fallout will start to occur. Styling is always Necessary to look good

Medium hair will give you a huge number of options on how to style your hair. The use of different hair products and styles allow a HUGE range of stylistic options, a conservative, slightly long regular cut lets you style in many, many ways, from wild, intentional bedhead, conservative side part, pompadour, and many more. this length also lets you shape your face depending on the way you style. HOWEVER if you don't style your hair, at least wetting and combing, you will look unkempt.

Long 6 in+

Pros: Ability to style is high, can use hair accessories for more styles, Ponytail is an easy style

Cons: Drying time without blow drying is excessive, fallout is common, some limits on styling based on length, tangling becomes a problem at this length

Long hair can be styled in many ways, however sometime the length can limit the ability to style as well. It can be hard to make it look professional. Long hair at transitional lengths, before it's long enough for a ponytail can be hard to handle and will require extensive styling to look good. Some people will automatically dislike long hair, seeing it as rebellious or strange. However the ability to style and create interest with long hair is unsurpassed. Medium hair styles your face, long hair styles your hair.
01-21-2015, 06:24 AM
(01-18-2015 05:15 PM)vonKobra Wrote:  There is a little more than short and long, and I think an analysis of all lengths is in order. Over my life I've had buzzed, short, medium and long hair, and think I can offer some perspectives on all.

Ultra short <.5 in

Short .5-2 in

Medium 2-6 in

Medium hair will give you a huge number of options on how to style your hair. The use of different hair products and styles allow a HUGE range of stylistic options, a conservative, slightly long regular cut lets you style in many, many ways, from wild, intentional bedhead, conservative side part, pompadour, and many more. this length also lets you shape your face depending on the way you style. HOWEVER if you don't style your hair, at least wetting and combing, you will look unkempt.

Long 6 in+

Cons: Drying time without blow drying is excessive, fallout is common, some limits on styling based on length, tangling becomes a problem at this length

Long hair can be styled in many ways, however sometime the length can limit the ability to style as well. It can be hard to make it look professional. Long hair at transitional lengths, before it's long enough for a ponytail can be hard to handle and will require extensive styling to look good. Some people will automatically dislike long hair, seeing it as rebellious or strange. However the ability to style and create interest with long hair is unsurpassed. Medium hair styles your face, long hair styles your hair.

That's actually a very good description of the pros and cons of the different lengths of hair. It's great to hear the experience of users who have gone through different lengths to try to get the hair length they're most satisfied with Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-29-2015, 09:05 PM
i Have had long hair in the past. the biggest downside to having long hair is taking care of it. also when i used to take a shower and a bunch of hair started falling i was worried because i have super thick(dense hair). and short is just wash/style/ and go but i feel like longer hair looks better whit guys with thick hair. just my 2cents
03-03-2015, 05:51 PM
@Long Mane

There have been some well-thought pros and cons mentioned in this thread.

One thought I have on the matter is this: long hair is a choice that not everyone gets to make. Most professional working men are not allowed to have their hair long, they must choose their job over long hair. Which makes the decision easy for them.

If your situation is such that you have the freedom to wear your hair at whatever length you choose, exercise that freedom. Keep lettin' it ride!

If you do cut it, think about waiting until it's long enough to donate to charity. Your hair will go to a good cause, and of course you can start growing it out again.
03-04-2015, 06:54 AM
Long hair in the workplace still has a long way to go.
(03-03-2015 05:51 PM)TheLonghair701 Wrote:  One thought I have on the matter is this: long hair is a choice that not everyone gets to make. Most professional working men are not allowed to have their hair long, they must choose their job over long hair. Which makes the decision easy for them.

If your situation is such that you have the freedom to wear your hair at whatever length you choose, exercise that freedom. Keep lettin' it ride!

If you do cut it, think about waiting until it's long enough to donate to charity. Your hair will go to a good cause, and of course you can start growing it out again.

Yes, there's still a lot of long-hair discrimination against men in the workplace, especially in the USA. There's less of it in Europe and especially in the Scandinavian countries. I recall seeing at some point a Scandinavian politician with long, but can't remember from what country he was from (I think he was from Sweden).

Long haired men are not along in their follicle-based discrimination: men with long beards are also looked down upon in the workplace, and I know this is an issue for long beard aficionados, just as it's an issue for long hair guys.

I do believe that in the US and similar English-speaking countries, long hair in men is starting to become more acceptable in the workplace. It has become already acceptable in society, so the next place is the workplace. Incidentally, the same goes with long beards, and it's mostly due to the sparked popularity of the hipster beard in the last 3 years.

I would still not risk it, however, in highly-corporate roles and environments, unless you're the CEO or owner of a company (or you work in Silicon Valley where long hair in men has always been acceptable).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing out my hair. Skyro 0 137 11-11-2016 06:14 AM
Last Post: Skyro
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 119 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  Make the end of my hair thicker? HeyJoe 0 94 10-28-2016 07:47 AM
Last Post: HeyJoe
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 439 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz