Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Short Haircuts for Men - Guide with Pictures, Tips and Advice
02-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Short Haircuts for Men - Guide with Pictures, Tips and Advice
This is a full guide on short haircuts for men. We will cover and detail the available short mens haircuts, ranging from near shaved to 2 inches in length. Pictures will be included as well as styling advice, tips and discussions. We will also discuss the available men's hair products for short hair cuts.

Buzz Cut

The Buzz Cut is a generic term for buzzed hair and there are several types of buzz cuts. A burr cut, a butch cut and an induction cut are the types of buzz cuts for men. These haircuts are also military haircuts, and are especially used in the army for recruits.

Induction cut

The Induction Cut is the shortest of all haircuts. With a hair clipper, simply clip your hair with no blade or guard attached (usually known as a #0).

[Image: c4jYU0b.jpg]

Burr Cut

Like with the Induction cut, to get a Burr Cut you should just grab a good hair clipper and this time buzz your hair with a #1, a #2 or a #3.

[Image: I4yYjyC.jpg]

Butch cut

Grab a clipper and clip your hair a bit longer with a #4 or longer if your hair clipper allows for this. Some barbers swap the lengths for a Butch Cut with that of a burr cut, so it is always better to go by guard or blade number than from the actual name of the cut if you want to go for any of these 2 military haircuts.

[Image: xKJPk54.jpg]

Brush Cut

Some barbers will also refer to the burr cut as a Brush Cut. However, a brush cut can also mean the hair on the sides and back of the head are clipped short like in the burr cut but the top is left a bit longer so the hair can stand up, usually in the form of a brush or with spiky hair.

[Image: KFBBamf.jpg]

Crew Cut

In a Crew Cut, the hair is cut with a clipper taper on the sides and back of the head while the top is either clipped evenly with a longer clipper blade or is tapered towards the vertex (back of the top of the head) so that the hair is slightly longer on the front than on the vertex.

[Image: 517px-Channing_Tatum%2C_Jenna_Dewan_2012.jpg]

Ivy League

The Ivy League haircut is cut in the same way as a crew cut, with the only difference being that the Ivy League is several numbers (of the blade/guard) longer. In fact, the top can be trimmed with scissors instead of being buzzed with the clipper as you would do with a crew cut. The Ivy League haircut is also known as a Harvard haircut, Princeton clip or Brown haircut.

[Image: 419px-MattDamonBU.jpg]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2014, 03:11 PM
RE: Short Haircuts for Men - Guide with Pictures, Tips and Advice
Businessman Cut

The Businessman Cut is a simple taper haircut. The hair on the top is left up to 2 inches long, depending on preference, and the sides and back of the head are tapered with scissors. The businessman cut can also be called a convertible haircut or a simple taper haircut.

[Image: 3a334320fae668ffb27b104eaf2382df.jpg]

Regulation Cut

The Regulation Cut is similar to the businessman cut in that the hair on the top is left long enough to allow for parting and styling. However, instead of being done in a classic taper, the hair on the sides and back is done in a high fade to low fade. The Regulation Cut was a haircut popular with soldiers in the Second World War.

[Image: 917565abe23fa9db248e8b7649201338.jpg]

Caesar Cut

The Caesar Cut can be tapered on the sides and back or left without a taper. The hair on the top is left to about one inch longer so that a fringe can be created on the forehead. If the hair on the sides has no taper, the hair is then brushed forward to create a fringe on the sides of the forehead (temples) too. The Caesar cut was a popular haircut in ancient Rome, especially with Julius Caesar.

[Image: george_clooney.jpg]

Fade Haircut

The Fade Haircut is simple a taper on the sides and back of the head done with a hair clipper, where the fade is clipped so that the hair seems to "disappear" into the skin. A fade haircut can disappear high on the sides and back (aka high fade), low (aka low fade) or the fade be done only on the first 2 inches of the hairline (aka temple fade or Brooklyn fade).

The fade haircut is a popular among black men and one of the main constituents of the range of black mens haircuts including the hi top and the 360 waves.

[Image: SportsMourning_t440.jpg?9e2a24ba44807f8f...f6ded075dc]

Undercut

The Undercut is a mens haircut where the hair on the sides and back of the head is clipped short with the same clipper number without any tapering or fading. The hair on the top of the head is usually left much longer, creating sharp angles and giving rise to the Undercut being known as a bowl haircut.

The hair on the top of the head in an Undercut is usually swept or slicked, giving rise to the slicked back undercut where the hair on the top is long enough to be styled and combed back in a slick back.

[Image: tumblr_mddsotiNDr1rdruzpo1_500.jpg]

High and Tight

The High and Tight haircut is done with the sides and back of the head clipped to a #1 or #2 while the hair on the top of the head is clipped with a length that is two clipper numbers higher than the number used for the sides/back (so if the sides/back are done with a #2, the top is done with a #4). The high and tight is similar in structure to the Undercut only that the top is shorter in the high and tight.

The high and tight is a popular military haircut among the Army and Marines, who are sometimes referred to as "jarheads" because of the way this cut looks.

[Image: VuhZVoO.jpg]

High and Tight recon

The High and Tight Recon (aka Recon) is a more extreme high and tight where the sides and back are clipped without a guiding comb or guard attached to the clipper as well as the top of the head is also clipped without a guiding comb/guard, except for a 2 inch wide stripe running from the middle of the forehead to the vertex (back of top of the head). This strip is clipped with a #2 or #3, and the jargon for it is a "landing strip". The Recon is almost like the "official" haircut of the Marines.

[Image: oQ7EXKo.jpg]

Flat top

The Flat Top is a fade haircut with the hair on the top clipped in a way that when the hair on the top is lifted up, it created a flat surface. The Flat Top takes some skill to do (as do all kinds of fades) and the Flat Top is also a military haircut. The hair on the top of the Flat Top can range between half an inch to a whole 1 inch depending on preference.

[Image: Ditka_mike_4.jpg]

Flat Top Horseshoe

The Flat Top Horseshoe, aka Flattop Horseshoe, is cut essentially the same as the Flat Top with one essential difference: the hair inside the top of the head is also clipped, except for the hair nearing the edges of the top of the head, which then creates a U shape and thus the name Horseshoe after Flattop.

[Image: MWN4awM.jpg]

High Top Fade

The High Top Fade is the Flat Top alternative for men with curly kinky hair, especially black men. The sides and back in a High Top Fade are done with a high fade (hence the name) while the top is clipped and trimmed in a way that creates a flat surface. The top can be 2 inches (still classifies as short hair) or can be as long as 6 inches or even more!

[Image: na9xF8H.jpg]

A note on short haircuts for men

While you can always ask your barber for the haircut by telling him its name, it is always best to also agree with him the exact clipper numbers you want used and how the final cut should be shaped. This is of importance because, among others, some barbers may not know the name of the cut or may know the name with other cutting instructions. For example, the crew cut in the USA is done with a backward taper on the top while in Europe the crew cut can be done with an even clipping number on the top.

Hair products for mens short haircuts

Just about each short haircut for men above can be done by yourself with a hair clipper, so it is very important that you invest in a high quality hair clipper instead of buying the cheap ones. A high quality clipper will last you years and continue to provide an excellent performance throughout its lifetime, while the cheap clippers will die and lose their power to buzz through hair, especially if you have dense or thick hair. Having your cheap clipper lose power as you try to clip your hair will become very annoying, especially once it starts pulling your head instead of slicing it.

The other cool thing about high quality clippers is that they can also be used to trim your facial hair, including your beard, so that you can match your beard and hairstyle. Usually a beard trimmer or stubble trimmer needs to be bought separate (and costing anywhere from $40 to $150), so by buying a good hair clipper like the recommended 3 below in the list you will get more bang for your buck.

Recommended hair products

These are the products we recommend for short mens haircuts. The 3 hair clippers recommended below are of the highest quality with the most powerful and long-lasting motors, so I strongly encourage you to invest in any one of them. We also recommend other products that will go well for cutting your own hair.

Simply click each link to read the specs of each of the products at Amazon. Each Amazon vendor sourced is of high quality and of established reputation, plus the price of each product below is extremely competitive and you won't find these products at a lower cost!
  • Get this hair clipper: for a cordless hair clipper, this one is unbeatable. It lasts over one hour buzzing without a break and through the thickest hair, so you can take your time cutting your hair or go for a very detailed haircut (or cut the hair of your friends, your choice!). It also comes with a whole kit with everything needed for the perfect haircut or clip, including a range of blades so that you don't have to buy them separately. It's also made by Andis, and those guys know their stuff when it comes to clippers.
    |
  • Get this hair clipper set: this set comes with everything you need for a cord-using clipper. It not only comes with the clipper itself but also with a fast feed clipper as well as finisher, so you have the full spectrum of hair grooming tools to clip everything from your scalp hair (for the haircut) to your beard, sideburns and detailing the hairline. All the clipping tools are made by Oster, which are excellent manufacturers of barbershop equipment, so really, if you don't want a cordless clipper like the one above, go with this set for the ultimate hair-cutting experience.

If the price for the whole clipping set above doesn't fit your budget, you can also get the hair clipper alone though this Amazon vendor, although make sure to also buy this extra set of guide combs for a more flexible hair cutting experience!
    |
  • Get this 3 panel mirror: this mirror is great for giving yourself haircuts. Because it is made of three panels, you can adjust the angle so that you can see all sections of your head to clip your hair without any problems at all. Likewise the mirrors are magnifying so that you can zoom in whenever you want for a more precise look at what you're trimming or clipping. This means that this kind of paneled mirror is not only great for cutting your own hair but also for shaving and trimming your beard or mustache (or any body hair, actually).
    |
  • Get this set of barber scissors: do not cut your hair with kitchen scissors or any regular scissors! Grab the set of shears (aka barber scissors) in the link which are perfect for cutting your own hair and which will save you a lot of money down the road from not having to go so frequently to the barbershop or hairdresser. The set of scissors includes layering scissors which go great for removing bulk from your hair and for making your hair look sharper in an out-of-bed style. For the price of the set of shears in the link, you really cannot wrong.
    |
  • Get this hair wax: this wax goes very well for styling the undercut, the flat top, butch cut, Caesar cut and just about the rest of cuts where you want to leave your hair with hold but looking more natural than with hair gel.
    |
  • Get this hair gel: this hair gel with give you a harder dryer look, which goes very week for the Flat Top, Recon and any time you want your hair to stand up.
    |
  • Get this pomade: if you want to sweep or slick your hair in the undercut, then the pomade in the link will work very well.
  • Get The Men's Hair Book: this book is a must for any men, full stop. The Men's Hair Book will teach you all about your hair from styling it to profiling it to the hair care strategy to follow (including nutrition for strong and fast growing hair). It's the best reading you could ever make, aside from our forum Cool
Enjoy!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-28-2014, 12:30 PM
And hear i was getting used to a mid length... and now you publish a guide on the short haircuts Big Grin great info and advice mate, its good thing i already had the clipping tools i bought some time ago thanks to you fellas so maybe i am going to be changing my styling goals and play with the clipper for a bit lol
03-01-2014, 04:46 PM
WoW!
This guide is gonna be so useful to me soon. Emailing it to some buddies too as we have been doing some kind of get together where we watch some football, have some beers and clip each others heads with the Andis hair clipper you post under the recommended product links Big Grin the machine just keeps buzzing on and on & head after head and a couple of my buddies dig the military haircuts so this guide is going to be put to some good use pal.

Thanks for taking the time to post these tutorials in the forum. Priceless! Big Grin
03-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Really useful guide TMHF. I was talking with my barber about the kind of BS that one can find online and how hard it is to find online good mens haircuts guides. Finally you guys came along and are posting this kinda epic guides on the forum so on be half of the internet...thanks!!!

I also think the military styles in this guide take the trophy home SRS the really short cuts are always masculine and are a good cushion to fall on if you are desperate for a good look. I find many guys these days are trying all kinds of crazy styles even tho they look flat out bad. The trend seems to win with men now days when back a couple of decades men use to take more pride in their looks and get a cut that meant more than just looking weird to stand out.

I am not saying that all men act like this but certainly more and more men are converting into fashion zombies without topping to think if the style they are going to wear does them any good. Luckily you guys with this forum are opening the eyes of many men. I read the side swept hairstyle guide and I have to say that style together with any of the short styles in this guide should make up the foundation of any mens style. Then from there you can further choose more styles but always have the classics to go back to if things get ugly Smile

My 2 cents.
03-07-2014, 04:51 PM
This guide is what I need!!! I have posted a thread about buzz cuts but before reading this guide. Now I read this guide and I know what I was asking xD
My barber is spanish like me and his english level is 0 so I think I will print this guide and translate to him because I want to have different buzz cuts and short haircuts. My barber is really good but before I join this forum and read the Mens Hair book I visited my barber all the time without a real idea about what style I want. Now because of the experts in this forum and the book I can have a real idea of what I want and express it. I have to express it in spanish because he cannot understand english but that is fine with me explaining.
I think the undercuts and the haircuts of the militaries are perfect for short hair. Thank you very much for explaining with this guide all of the haircuts for short hair!!
03-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Great guide with epic coverage of the whole range of short men's haircuts! Smile

I actually made earlier a post describing the horseshoe flattop thinking you didn't cover it & then I spotted it when I re-read the guide. I seem to have missed it for some reason - maybe the couple of beers I have been having this Saturday evening? lol
Sure this guide will help a lot of men because cutting short hair is a skill that many guys can learn and then benefit from this skill. A good hair clipper like the ones recommended in the guide & maybe some scissors to cut the hair on the top if you feel like it is all you really need! add a styling product to give some styling shape to your mane if you leave enough length on the top of the head & that is it.

Out of the military cuts I would go with the high and tight. For the ones requiring trimming with scissors, then the businessman style is the one I would choose. I had both in the past & they are really convenient cuts.
03-12-2014, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 02:48 PM by Bradley.)
My turn!
I have read the formatting guide lines in another thread so I hope this is the right way to format.

Crew cut
What a clean haircut it is and since it cannot be styled for the most part, the wedge shape and clipper taper in the crewcut give a very out standing look.

[Image: 3da0fdadcbfd31b5689e48092a161e52.jpg]

Undercut

I think this one is one of the favourite haircuts in the forum right? Big Grin
Cool thing about the haircut is that it need not be clipped following the straight line going from temple to temple but that you can instead get a bit more creative and do it curved for a more unique cut.

I like the last of the undercuts as it is style with frontal bangs much like in a caesar cut.

[Image: f1b17eadaecafac80d8a29de8bcad1aa.jpg]

[Image: 84eb70b651ece5e80f840d00a12bfd5b.jpg]

[Image: 1a814a1d42bc480ce38de8edb12dbd01.jpg]

[Image: 52695b6adcf34aac4891ce773cb80330.jpg]

Mohican styled side square

A faux mohawk not faux hawk with the side square clipped.

[Image: a942812ae65e7cdf975f0b4a673aceee.jpg]

Taper

This one is a real good taper classic mens cut.

[Image: f9d5937ab04f88f0760bccb4fec746bf.jpg]
03-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Really Taper hairstyle looks very beautiful.
03-24-2014, 10:29 AM
What a great guide gents. I have been away for a while and came back to see you have all been busy posting some excellent haircut guides.

Obviously I am a bit biased but I have a saying: while a hairdresser for women can be gauged by how good his cutting is with long hair, a hairdresser for men can be gauged by how good his cutting is with short hair. With short hair you only have so much hair to work with and simply making a mistake in one single trim with the shears can cost you the haircut of the gent. With long hair and even medium hair you can make a mistake here and there and correct it by evening it out and not affecting the cut on its whole level but with short hair that is another story. Make a small mistake when doing a fade or when clipping a high and tight for example and that is it, you have to buzz the entire customer's head lol

It really is an art and I suggest anyone out there reading this guide to test the skills of his barber by asking for a taper haircut. You can easily weed out the bad barbers and hairdressers by simply asking for a taper and seeing what you get. Wanna weed them out even harder? ask for a shears-only taper (insert evil face... lol).

(03-12-2014 02:47 PM)Bradley Wrote:  
Taper

This one is a real good taper classic mens cut.

[Image: f9d5937ab04f88f0760bccb4fec746bf.jpg]

Is that taper cut yours Brad? it's beautiful... Blush
04-09-2014, 12:06 PM
cool review!i am sure not everybody knows the names of all haircuts
04-30-2014, 04:27 AM
amazing thread, shows every single short hair cut!
05-04-2014, 07:02 PM
can you get an undercut with super thick hair that just sticks out everywhere? because i really hate my hair i cannot style it in any way! Thanks for your help!
05-27-2014, 04:56 AM
Actually I like military haircuts since I am a soldier in army.
06-08-2014, 01:10 AM
I'll be honest, I kinda disliked the Under Cut until recently! Now, I'm beginning to appreciate it's look!
10-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Do you guys go to a salon or a barbershop for these cuts?
10-17-2014, 05:08 PM
(10-17-2014 04:53 PM)inmate Wrote:  Do you guys go to a salon or a barbershop for these cuts?

The barbers in the forum recommend to go to the barbershop or hair salon at least for your initial haircut. Some of the haircuts are a bit difficult to give to yourself like the tapered sides. After the initial cut at the barbershop, you can then use your own hair clipper or scissors (buy the barber ones) to maintain the length until your hair is out-growing the haircut too much or if the hair is starting to look odd from clipping mistakes. Then you go to the barbershop again for a new cut and go back to maintaining.

You don't need to have the hair clipper skill of a barber to give yourself great short haircuts. I remember when my mane was short I would use my classic Oster hair clipper to keep my hair in an undercut. This was even before the undercut became a global phenomenon Big Grin go figure.

I have read the barbers in this forum also recommend having a hair clipper for one's own use. I totally agree with this line of thought as a hair clipper can become an extremely convenient tool anytime you need a haircut or need to trim your beard, hairline, sideburns and a lot more hair stuff.

If a barber is telling you that it's a good idea to have your own hair clipper at home aside from visiting him for the initial or major cuts, then you bet he is giving you a good tip as he loses business if you can give yourself the minor cuts and trims to maintain the hair instead of visiting him for the minor cuts and trims. I like that about this forum, the guys making a living from the hair cutting trade will say things as they are and to benefit everyone here Smile
10-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the guide.
02-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Excellent guide!
03-18-2015, 11:26 AM
What's the best short haircut?
How do I know what type of haircut is best for me? I've recently had a faux hawk for about 8 years and really looking for a change but I'm clueless as to what to do next... am I in a place where I can find help?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 624,862 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice Alex 36 251,003 08-07-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: AlexVI
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,166 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 111,885 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight