Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shampoo removes protein from hair??
06-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Shampoo removes protein from hair??
So i just heard my cousin say shampoo removes the hair's protein as it is very harsh and will make the hair break off. I am not sold on this but my cousin is a beautician so am left wondering.
Shampoos really remove the hair's own protein and make it break?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
RE: Shampoo removes protein from hair??
That is nonsense. The only protein that shampoo will remove is any extra protein added to the hair from hair products. Commercial shampoos will not make the hair break itself or remove its protein. Beauticians are known for giving very bad hair advice so keep using shampoo if you want to use it and don't worry bout your hair falling off into pieces from using a product that has been in the market for decades.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-12-2013, 03:49 AM
Hi Toulalan,

While too much shampoo is not good for having the best curly hair possible, shampoo is not catabolic like your cousin may have hinted. Unless you're using a shampoo made out of sulphuric acid (note the sarcasm, there are none), you don't have to worry about structurally modifying your hair or destroying it by using a conventional shampoo.

Having said the above, it's in your interest to work out your optimal shampooing frequency as you should not be shampooing curly hair daily. The reason for this has to do with your own sebum (as part of my No Shampoo method) and it certainly isn't about salvaging your curls from destruction.

Let know if you got any other questions.

Best

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-12-2013, 01:17 PM
man,I'm not an expert or anything like that but the stuff your cousin said...I want some of dat stuff she smoking bro
06-14-2013, 07:01 PM
(06-12-2013 03:49 AM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Unless you're using a shampoo made out of sulphuric acid (note the sarcasm, there are none),

Big GrinBig Grin
What about those shampoos that claim their super strong & remove everything from the hair?
06-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Alex, u mean chelating shampoos? Those don't break your hair either but theyll wipe out everything from your hair.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Troy Polamalu using a wig for the shampoo commercials? Jurgen 4 3,006 06-02-2013 10:00 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum