Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shampoo after swimming?
07-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Shampoo after swimming?
Hey everyone, just wondering if it is required to shampoo your hair after being in the swimming pool. Today is supposed to be one of my "off" days but I have plans to go swimming later. So will I need to shampoo when I shower after, or will the sebum coating method be enough? Thanks Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2014, 11:23 AM
RE: Shampoo after swimming?
hey bro in the mens hair book Rogelio says you have two potions of 1) shampoo with normal shampoor or 2) use a chelating shampoo. This is for swimming pool water.
I always use a chelating shampoo even in my off days because i find it works better for me. I have a lot of off days so i just regulate around the swimming pool days. Imo you should at least use a normal shampoo due to the chemicals in swimming pool water.

Also Rogelio tells of another trick which is coating the hair with a leave in conditioner. But he says this is for sea water. Unsure about using this trick with swimming pool water, maybe the other guys can expand on this? sure thing that a couple of us would be very interested in knowing that answer too Big Grin
07-20-2014, 01:17 PM
(07-20-2014 11:23 AM)Machado Wrote:  hey bro in the mens hair book Rogelio says you have two potions of 1) shampoo with normal shampoor or 2) use a chelating shampoo. This is for swimming pool water.
I always use a chelating shampoo even in my off days because i find it works better for me. I have a lot of off days so i just regulate around the swimming pool days. Imo you should at least use a normal shampoo due to the chemicals in swimming pool water.

Also Rogelio tells of another trick which is coating the hair with a leave in conditioner. But he says this is for sea water. Unsure about using this trick with swimming pool water, maybe the other guys can expand on this? sure thing that a couple of us would be very interested in knowing that answer too Big Grin

Yeah I had read his section about the different shamppos but still wasn't quite sure. Ultimately, I decided a chelating shampoo was not necessary since I only went swimming for about 20 minutes and I'm not in the pool very often. But I did decide to use normal shampoo after.

Would definitely like more information about hair care after swimming, since I'm going on a vacation next month and plan on swimming in both pool and ocean water!
07-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Machado, I will reply to both your questions since yours (Machado's) is also interesting and will be of use to B2stMode and other forum mebers (and visitors!).

The water in swimming pools is different (in a bad way) to sea water, so you want to be using a shampoo after going in the swimming pool. The advice in The Men's Hair Book is pretty much all you need, and you do really want to own a chelating shampoo (they are not expensive) to either use every day that you use the swimming pool or to use once a week if going more than once (per week to the swimming pool).

What I would do in your case is convert your "off" days (when you happen to go to the swimming pool) as "on" days so that you are doing the shampooing on those days that you've been in the swimming pool. From there, adjust your shampooing frequency and don't shampoo on the days that you aren't going to the swimming pool.

Rogelio says that your shampooing frequency is dynamic, and I wholeheartedly agree with him. After all, he was the one who developed these methods and the no shampoo method, even without any further testing, will already give great results to regular guys. So don't be afraid to adjust your shampooing frequency because you are going to the swimming pool.

In terms of owning a chelating shampoo, I recommend you to buy this chelating shampoo. You can use it every day after the swimming pool, although I recommend that you use it only once per week and use your regular shampoo during the week for the days that you go to the swimming pool. However, if you notice that your hair is lacking its natural shine and gloss, or it isn't responding as good as usual to your hairstyling efforts, then feel free to up your frequency of use of the chelating shampoo to every day after the swimming pool.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Machado, with regards to your question on what to do after bathing in sea water, the best thing you can do is be pro-active and protect your hair before going into the water. Rogelio also explains his method in The Men's Hair Book, but it essentially is coating your hair with a leave-in conditioner before going into the water. Make sure to also use tap water (or bottled water) to wet your hair so as to coat it in the leave in conditioner!

The trick above works extremely well for protecting your hair from the sea water. In most cases, it will help you avoid having to shampoo your hair that same day, so this trick is pro-No Shampoo method (after all, the trick is from the same guy who developed the method Big Grin). If you don't have a leave-in conditioner to use, then you can instead use a regular conditioner, just don't rinse the regular conditioner and simply go into the sea with the regular conditioner coating your mane.

In terms of what leave-in conditioner and regular conditioner to buy for this trick to work optimally, I recommend that you get this regular conditioner and this leave-in conditioner. Ideally, you should be owning both a leave in conditioner and a regular conditioner, but if your budget is tight, then choose a regular conditioner first.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Thank you TMHF for once again providing help with a thorough explanation! The leave-in conditioner trick is definitely going to be a valuable tip for my vacation next month!
07-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I use the same tricks TMHF said. I also use the leave-in conditioner tip when I go to swimming pools too but I will still use a chelator shampoo like the one TMHF posted in the link. Use it about one day each week during summer cause of me going to the swimming pool a lot of days.
07-21-2014, 04:33 PM
I can tell I have a long way to go with hair care. First off, I have never even heard of a chelating shampoo! Is it the same as a clarifying shampoo?
07-21-2014, 04:40 PM
(07-21-2014 04:33 PM)udm1192 Wrote:  I can tell I have a long way to go with hair care. First off, I have never even heard of a chelating shampoo! Is it the same as a clarifying shampoo?

No. A chelating shampoo is to be used to remove the chemical buildup on the hair from swimming pools and from calcium deposits in tap water (used for showering). Clarifying shampoos on the other hand, are for removing product buildup and re-setting the overall hair's cleanliness (like a super shampoo!).

Lots of websites get the definitions wrong, though (actually, most websites get everything concerning men's hair wrong!). I highly suggest that you read The Men's Hair Book as there's a hug section on the types of shampoos for men that also covers clarifying shampoos and chelating shampoos. That book is full of hair care knowledge (I even learned a couple of things myself too).

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to shampoo and use a hair conditioner for men Stevens 27 100,809 05-02-2016 11:35 AM
Last Post: Refrusloi
Question Hair products and shampoo ingredients, do you believe them? Sunset 8 2,843 03-16-2015 08:43 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1
  Good dandruff shampoo for black men? or curly hair? Robert 2 3,170 12-04-2014 05:16 PM
Last Post: Robert
Question Good dandruff shampoo for men? Vladimir 3 4,027 12-03-2014 11:38 AM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber