Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sea salt spray. Yay or nay?
08-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Sea salt spray. Yay or nay?
Hi guys!
I experimented a bit with sea salt spray lately, since a friend of mine had one spare.
I like the grip it gives to my hair, altough i use it more like a preparation before styling.
Now, i was wondering, if i would use it quite often, or even every day, does it damage your hair?
I mean, its salt after all, and usually salt dries stuff out. Or is this something diffrent here?

I would like to hear your opinions/experiences about sea salt spray!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2014, 02:57 PM
RE: Sea salt spray. Yay or nay?
I have also gotten good results with sea salt. But I have not used the spray for a long time to make any good conclusions. When I get on the sea and let my hair to dry alone and with the sun it always makes my hair look epic. I heard the guys here mention the same benefits of sea salt spray.

However I doubt that sea salt would damage hair. Salt is in your sweat too and that stuff gets on your hair. Doubt that the body would still be secreting that after hundreds of thousands of years if it damaged the air.
08-31-2014, 09:18 PM
(08-30-2014 02:57 PM)James Wrote:  I have also gotten good results with sea salt. But I have not used the spray for a long time to make any good conclusions. When I get on the sea and let my hair to dry alone and with the sun it always makes my hair look epic. I heard the guys here mention the same benefits of sea salt spray.

However I doubt that sea salt would damage hair. Salt is in your sweat too and that stuff gets on your hair. Doubt that the body would still be secreting that after hundreds of thousands of years if it damaged the air.

Thats actually a very good point i havent thought about! Thank you!
09-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Like James above mentioned, don't worry about sea salt; it's actually pretty innocuous and to damage hair, you need strong chemicals that cause reactions (think of lye used in hair relaxers).

Do use the sea salt spray lightly though. While it is true that (curly) hair usually looks nicer when you get out of the sea and your hair dries, the salt itself will be left on your hair as deposits. In fact, you've probably seen this in the hair of your arms: you will see tiny crystals when you get of the water in your arm's hair (if you have any substantial hair there). So basically make sure you are shampooing at the very least once a week if using a sea salt spray.

Don't go around drenching your hair with the product, simply use it lightly for styling purposes and with another styling product, unless you're going for a natural messy look. Sea salt sprays give more texture and thickness to your hair: great for a beach type hairstyle.

For either yourself or any wondering some good sea salt hair products, check out these sea salt sprays:

1) This ONE here has some excellent reviews and is very cheap.

2) This ONE here is one I've used myself and I can assure you it does what it's intended to do (gives a thickening appearance to hair, exactly as if you were in the beach after leaving the water and having your hair dried up with air alone). Works very well for wavy and coiled hair types (i.e. for curly hair).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-13-2014, 04:38 AM
Hey Migu,

For me, it's a yay. Been using it for about a year now.
Not sure about your hair, but i've thick, volume heavy Asian hair, but sporting a pompadour at the moment.

Was introduced to me by my barber. He uses it as a base layer while my hair is still damp. Blows dry it and a "natural" pompedour is formed. It's actually a good way to shape your hair, while blowdrying, that is. That could actually last me awhile if I wanted to go for a natural puff on my hair that day.

Well, back to my barber. He then puts on the Shaper for me to give the pompedour extra weight, before finishing off with the spray. That will keep my hair nice and upright for a good day. I find that on days when I skip the salt, my hair goes flat a little faster.

If it helps, I'm using the sea salt from label.m. The choices provided by moderator (thanks, mod!) seems interesting. Will try it once my current stock runs out!

Cheers,
MTiwggs
09-14-2014, 10:40 AM
For me its a Yay aswell! Love the texture it gives my blond hair!
09-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Salt is a "dessicant", which means it sucks out the moisture. I tried sea salt shampoo/products a few times. I liked 'em, but they made my hair feel like straw.

Maybe if you have oily hair they work better. My hair is already kind of dryish, so that could have been the problem.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------