Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Review of Philips Norelco HS8420 Nivea for Men Electric Razor
08-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Review of Philips Norelco HS8420 Nivea for Men Electric Razor
I have always enjoyed using electric razors over traditional razors. The ease of use outweighs the irritated skin and the reduced closeness of shave. Some time back, I bought the Phillips Norelco HS8420 Nivea for Men electric razor. The reason I chose the Phillips Norelco HS8420 over other similarly priced razors was one feature that the HS8420 that no other razor in my price range had: The ability to dispense shaving lotion directly from the razor onto the skin to alleviate razor burn.

The Phillips Norelco HS8420 is not a cheap razor as it so happens with all high-end electric razors for men. In the distant past, I generally opted for cheaper options, not believing that I would get any extra benefit from spending over $100, and many electric razors cost much more than that. The allure of having a shaving lotion that could be dispensed onto my face directly from the razor and could be used easily in the shower certainly justified paying a few extra bucks, but was it worth it? Let's see how it compares to other electric razors I've used, but first here is a picture of it. Continue reading below the picture for the review.

[Image: uU8hC3v.jpg]

Ease of use

The Phillips Norelco HS8420 is one of the smallest electric razors I've ever used and is extremely lightweight. It glides along easily and does not vibrate heavily and noisily like some other larger electric razors. In addition, the HS8420 is designed specifically so that it can be used in the shower. This makes it more versatile than a lot of cheaper brands which do not work as well when used in the shower.

I love shaving with a safety razor in the show, so the fact that I would use this electric razor in the shower was a huge plus for me.

The HS8420 comes with the unique ability to dispense Nivea shaving lotion on the skin directly from the razor. This lotion is easy to load into the razor and reduces most of the burn that typically comes with using an electric razor, although it does not eliminate all of the burn. It is recommended that you wet your face before using this razor, as this also drastically reduces the amount of burn while shaving (see my tips for skin irritation for ways to reduce shaving irritation).

Closeness of shave

The Phillips Norelco HS8420 provides a super close shave similar other high-end electric razor I've used, although it does not provide the skin-close shave of traditional razors (but this is impossible unless you pay a huge price for the top shavers anyway!). The only drawback is that the HS8420 does not include a pop-up trimming tool, something that is standard on other electric razors like the Wahl 4000 shaver system.

The HS8420 is easy to clean. Having open blades and no hidden compartments, it is possible to clean this razor simply by submerging it in hot water with the razor turned on. Those pesky loose hairs will be thrown off the razor in no time and the Nivea dispensing slots will be unclogged in seconds.

The verdict? The Phillips Norelco HS8420 is a great electric razor, although it is certainly isn't a cheap razor. If you can afford the price, however, it's easy to overlook the few faults of this razor and enjoy the improvement in shaving quality and comfort that the Norelco HS8420 provides. The Nivea shaving lotion dispensing plus the ability to shave in the shower with the razor certainly justify buying it!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Philips Norelco HS8420 Nivea electric razor review.
Sunset, what an awesome and useful Philips Norelco HS8420 Nivea for Men shaver review! To start with, the collaboration between Philips and Nivea to get together and come up with this Norelco HS8420 electric razor was epic.

I don't think there's anything else I could add to this review of this Norelco rotary shaver. I vouch for its usability, ease for contouring the face, good closeness of shave and lack of irritation (not that you get much with a shaver/electric razor but the continuous secretion of the Nivea shaving balm on the spot is a very welcomed attribute of the HS8420).

The only thing I would argue against this Norelco HS8420 is that the closeness of the shave isn't the blatant perfection of the higher-end Norelco electric shavers, but the closeness of the shave that you'll get with the Philips Norelco HS8420 is good enough and reliable enough for hyper conservative environments (think of business meetings). If you instead want a Norelco electric razor that leaves your face like a baby's behind, then simply go with THIS other Philips Norelco!

Returning to the reviewed Philips Norelco HS8420, and as a last comment, since the reviewed Norelco electric razor can be used in the shower, the Philips Norelco HS8420 truly offers a major advantage and can appeal to those men who are shower shavers and who hadn't made a move onto the electric razors due to not finding a good one that was shower proof. Well, here is the Philips Norelco HS8420!

As a last comment, some men have really sensitive skin that even high end electric razors can irritate (albeit mildly). For these kind of men, the Norelco HS8420 is the perfect electric razor. And by irritation, I am not talking just of itching or minor bumps. If your skin reddens somewhat, enough to be noticed, then the Norelco HS8420 is your ticket to aesthetic fully shaved skin! Smile

For anyone interested and as for where to buy the Philips Norelco HS8420 Nivea for Men electric razor, go with THIS vendor HERE. Plenty of positive reviews and information that will give you peace of mind.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Up Top Ten Philips Norelco Electric Shavers for Men Reviews Sunset 2 1,723 10-11-2016 10:58 AM
Last Post: sleeping cat
Question Electric shaver vs. wet shaving razor? Pros and Cons discussion Stevens 12 4,510 10-07-2016 11:45 AM
Last Post: Joseph.davidson
  Schick Quattro review: Titanium shaving razor for men The Hairstylist 0 85 10-05-2016 01:57 PM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Shaver as good as a razor darrelj 0 402 01-15-2016 09:57 PM
Last Post: darrelj