Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Receding hairline with vertex thinning: 27 year old long coiled hair male
04-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Receding hairline with vertex thinning: 27 year old long coiled hair male
Greeting friends, thank you for taking the time to read this post. First of all I don't want to come across like one of those people fishing for compliments, my family has hair loss history in male relatives as well as I can tell how much hair I lose daily, not to talk about my hairline which wasn't always like this but doesn't bother me as much hence I can hide it with my long hair and also makes me look more mature. It is mostly the vertex thinning what bothers me the most but of course if I could keep it how it is at the moment or perhaps even grow some new hair I would highly appreciate any advise.

I have just purchased a whole years worth supply of rogaine and I'm here looking at the mirror thinking whether to apply it or not, it is mostly the shedding phase about it what scares me the most, does the shedding happens quick after starting treatment? I also wonder if applying once a day would help not making the shedding as dramatic.

Thanks a lot for all your help, y'all rock!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2015, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 05:06 PM by Audioruben.)
RE: Receding hairline/ vertex thinning 27 year old long coiled hair male
How can I post pictures? I would appreciate any help, thanks a lot friends.
04-16-2015, 02:51 PM
RE: Receding hairline/ vertex thinning 27 year old long coiled hair male
Here are some pictures, thanks for upgrading my account. Excuse the pictures quality, it was difficult to take the pictures myself

[Image: image.jpg]

[Image: image_1.jpg]

[Image: image_2.jpg]

[Image: image_3.jpg]
04-20-2015, 12:17 PM
You still have plenty of hair but it'll do you good to start treating MPB now.
You still have a lot of hair left and the receding is minimal and within the boundaries of mild male pattern baldness. You're a Norwood II (getting close to a Norwood III) with plenty of hair density still and no thinning on the vertex, so you have quite a few years ahead enjoying your hair. However in some extreme cases, male pattern baldness can progress very fast and leave one bald before the age of 30, but you'd have to have a similar case in your family to really be risking such a very-rapid progression.

About the vertex, I think that the lighting and the fact that you have long hair is giving the illusion that your are losing density and thickness in that part of the head. Bear in mind that you're in a well-lit room, and we've had the same issue in the past with other forum members who would take pictures with a lot of light and they'd be fearing that they would go bald, when under normal lighting their vertex is absolutely fine.

On top of the high-lighting scenario, as you have long curly hair, your hair is sticking to one another into what we call "locks" (a group of dozens of hair strands going in the same direction). This is specially common with men with curly coiled hair. Thus, between each curly long lock, there will be some spacing, which is what's happening in your case and which should not be confused with vertex thinning. That's not to say that currently you're having some minor thinning going on, but at the moment and gauging from those pictures, you're doing very well and you're taking care of your hair.

Now, since there is some slight receding and due to your family history of male pattern baldness, it's important to act now, as you can maintain your current Norwood stage very well with Rogaine and some nutritional supplements. It's when you get to a Norwood IV that things start to become very difficult as there's too much hair loss that has occurred by then.

Here's a diagram depicting the Norwood stages; yours is a Norwood II for now.

[Image: WySY1EY.jpg]

The only real proven treatments for male pattern baldness are minoxidil (which is what Rogaine has) and finasteride (brand name is Propecia). You can take some supplements that will enhance your treatment and help somewhat, but if you're losing your hair, then a minoxidil-based product such as Rogaine should be your first line of treatment. Do not go on finasteride unless you talk to either an andrologist (male health doctor) or a dermatologist as finasteride can have some serious side effects, while Rogaine or any other simple minoxidil preparation do not have side effects (aside from some itching in the beginning and some paradoxical hair loss which is regrown soon after).

You have mentioned elsewhere that you have a good amount of Rogaine already, so that's a good move. I would start by using it every day for the next 6 months and then assess whether you're seeing any differences. Take pictures like the ones you've taken every 4 to 6 weeks during those 6 months so that you can keep track of what is being maintained and/or regrown.

I still recommend that you bookmark our OTC men's hair loss products thread as we've listed great and affordable sources for Rogaine, other minoxidil-based products and other MPB treatments to complement your current treatment. For anyone else who is considering buying Rogaine or any other hair loss products, click on that thread as we've listed sources for the USA, UK and for international locations.

Aside from the Rogaine, there are a couple of nutritional supplements and shampoos that will help in maximizing your Rogaine treatment.
  • Cod liver oil: cod liver oil has both omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin A. The omega-3 help to decrease inflammation in the scalp (local inflammation is believed to be linked to MPB) and it will also make your hair glossier and have more natural shine. The vitamin A in cod liver oil is an excellent nutrient for healthy and supple skin, including the scalp and the hair follicles. I highly recommend that you get THIS cod liver oil as it's exactly what you'll need and there are forum members already using it for male hair loss.
  • Vitamin C: great anti-oxidant and very cheap when bought in large amounts. Have a look at THIS supplement here of vitamin C. Simply follow the instructions for dosage.
  • Zinc with copper: zinc is involved in lots of bodily functions including the strengthening of the skin and it's also involved in the healthy production of the sexual hormones (testosterone and dihydrotestosterone). Take one tablet per day of THIS zinc supplement.
  • Multi-vitamin supplement: if you feel that your diet is sub-part, then get a good and affordable multi-vitamin supplement. Get THIS one here and simply take it once a day as per the instructions.
As you can see with the listed supplements above, they're all nutrients needed for a healthy body, and not just healthy hair, so you will be benefiting entirely from ingesting these nutrients. Also, each of the supplements that I have posted a link for are affordable and of high quality, as you want to buy high quality supplements when dealing with something as serious as male pattern baldness. However, high quality need not equate sky-high prices.

In terms of extra hair products to use, I would recommend you to go on a ketoconazole shampoo. Now, ketoconazole shampoos were initially designed for dandruff (they're anti-fungal), but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that ketoconazole shampoos do in fact help to treat male pattern baldness. The reason for this is because the fungus that causes dandruff causes local inflammation of the scalp, so by keeping your scalp protected from the dandruff fungus, you're improving your MPB treatment. About 60% of men suffer from dandruff, so it's worth getting a ketoconazole shampoo to treat male pattern baldness.

If you want to get a great and affordable ketoconazole shampoo, get THIS one here. Get both the ketoconazole shampoo in the link and the listed nutritional supplements above as soon as possible so that you can add them to your current Rogaine treatment and start milking the benefits of such a holistic approach to treat androgenetic alopecia (i.e. another name for male pattern baldness).

It's also important to have a good healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and fruits, and, if you smoke, you must stop now as smoking worsens male pattern baldness! Smile

If you haven't already, then get the book The Men's Hair Book in the link and study especially the hair care chapter. Since you have long hair, you're prone to traction alopecia which can destroy the hairline of a male with MPB. You really want to pay special attention to your hair care, and The Men's Hair Book is by far the best read (aside from this forum!) that you can do when it comes to keeping your hair over the long term.

You still have a lot of hair left and you're right now in a situation where you can seriously tame your male pattern baldness. Unfortunately, there's no cure for male pattern baldness as of yet, but daily use of Rogaine with a healthy diet and the use of some nutritional supplements plus a healthy lifestyle (e.g. no smoking, regular exercise such as running or hitting the gym at least three times per week) can work wonders on a guy like yourself who is only between a Norwood II and Norwood III. Many bald men would kill to be in your situation and be so capable of keeping your mane healthy and lustrous! Smile

Lastly, it'd be a good idea to visit a good dermatologist or andrologist to talk about your male pattern baldness and make sure that you're under medical supervision if you decide to go on finasteride/Propecia.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-20-2015, 08:03 PM
RE: Receding hairline with vertex thinning: 27 year old long coiled hair male
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my thread with such useful advise, I appreciate every single one of those as I will do my best to adopt them all on a daily basis. I usually eat healthy but I occasionally smoke cigars.

I'm glad to know that there is still a lot that I can do in order to tame this issue, since the main reason as to why I'm concern is that I have noticed an increment in hair loss in the last couple months, and that all the men from my father side of the family (but my grandfather) and even my half brother are bald, most even before they hit 30. But from my mother side nobody is bald.

I read you advised me to start the rogaine treatment, it's been my third day already and so far no itching neither irritation, though now I'm wondering that since is mild alopecia what I have should I wait another year or so to start treatment or would you advise me to do so from the get go? If so should I apply it once or twice a day? Also I worry that my current hair would get so used to the minoxidil that I could even lost it all if I ever stop treatment. Also regarding propecia I'm a bit afraid of the sexual side effects, come on let's face it, we either want our hair back or maintain it for em ladies anyway lol

Thanks again for all your time and consideration, you've been incredibly helpful!
04-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Use the Rogaine treatment and recommended supplements for at least 6 month.
No, do not wait one year to start the Rogaine treatment. Since you mention your half brother fully balding before the age of 30, you could very well lose a lot of hair in a year's time and move to a Norwood IV which will not be pleasant.

Continue with the Rogaine treatment and try it for the next 6 months. Try to also get the supplements that I recommended (and listed) in my previous post. If you see that you cannot get them all because of their price, I would then suggest that you make the effort to at least get the ketoconazole shampoo and the cod liver oil. You want to minimize the inflammation on the scalp, and both the keto shampoo and the cod liver oil will go a long way in taming inflammation.

Use the recommended supplements concomitantly with the Rogaine. You may get some scalp itching in the beginning with the Rogaine, but this is completely normal and it fades away. You may also notice that you're shedding more hair strands than usual, and this too is normal as Rogaine encourages the hair strands that are almost over in the life cycle to fall off to then allow new thicker hair strands to grow from the follicles.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Thats for your reply, I have already started as I've been four days applying the treatment in twice a day. Is there any difference in applying the treatment once or twice a day?

I'm going to try to get those supplements and so I will be updating this post every month for the progress, thanks again my friends!
04-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Use Rogaine with a frequency of once a day.
Since we don't know what form of Rogaine you have, I'd say that you follow the instructions in the label. In any case, you're minimally losing hair (if that, as your current hairline may just be your actual adult hairline), so you can get away easily with once-a-day applications.

You can then re-assess at the 6-month mark and gauge how the Rogaine has been working for you.

05-19-2015, 07:27 AM
Dear friends, it's been over one month since I started the rogaine treatment everyday at night, and I must say I have seen the difference, to worst....

I've never lost this much hair before, when I started you could barely tell the thinning in vertex, but now it is very noticeable from different thinning spots across the scalp and not only in vertex anymore.

I am still applying the minoxidil but to be honest with y'all I'm disappointed and feel like I should stop because I was ok beforehand and now I'm at the verge of depression. Everybody keeps telling me that I'm going bald and funny thing is that I'm doing the rogaine not to and it's been actually making me bald... Here are some pictures, what would you friends recommend me?

[Image: 83D4466F-52C8-4B71-A040-71F6BB9F848B.jpg]

[Image: 0AD49C0F-796F-4F5E-95EF-09EC098EDD10.jpg]

[Image: AF526831-5DBF-4946-8854-CD8A6CCCF73D.jpg]
05-19-2015, 07:57 AM
Minoxidil products have a tendency to shed lots of hair strands in the beginning.
Your vertex is fine, you can see that on the last picture. The first picture is in a well lit environment which makes your scalp reflect upon taking a picture of your head. This is completely normal. The hairless patches that you see if some the locks of hair going in different directions, this is completely normal with wavy hair, which is your hair type.

Wavy hair has a tendency to group as locks which then go in the same direction, thus exposing a minimal part of the scalp, which is what you're seeing in the firs picture and in the last picture (minimally).

About Rogaine, it is very common to shed a lot of hairs in the beginning of a Rogaine treatment. This is because Rogaine encourages the hair strands that are nearing the end of their cycle to fall off so as to make space for healthier and thicker hair strands. The hair that you see fall off is hair that was close to falling off (i.e. shedding) anyway, but Rogaine has sped up their shedding. This is activated by minoxidil itself (the active ingredient in Rogaine) and it has the benefit of getting your newer and healthier (and thicker!) hair strands to grow out as fast as possible instead of having to wait months for the old hair strands to shed.

As said, excessive shedding with Rogaine is completely normal during the beginning of the treatment and is why you need a solid 6 months of daily use to fully see and notice the benefits of Rogaine (or of any other minoxidil-based product).

Lastly, bear in mind that shedding long hair looks more visible and noticeable because of its inherent length. The mass of hair strands is perfectly normal if that's a day's worth of shedding! Smile

08-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Hi, I have a question. How many times should I use Rogaine? Do I use it everyday?
08-10-2015, 01:03 PM
I have personally been using it daily for about four months once a day before bed. My shedding stage was very bad, but I kept going and the heavy shedding has stopped but looks like it's been back to how it was before starting the treatment; though I've noticed minimal results such as new hair growth (even in the forehead, be careful when applying lol) and a thicker head of hair. Will post pictures at the six month mark into the treatment.
08-10-2015, 02:55 PM
I'm glad that you're finding some remedy to your hair loss with Rogaine. Like it was advised to you Rogaine takes months to fully show up its results so don't despair. We do know that it's the most tested hair loss product over the counter as minoxidil was created by scientist so it isn't a scam product like lots of hair loss products out there.

If you feel that Rogaine isn't cutting it anymore by the eight month you can jump on finasteride. But finasteride is a more serious decision and you need to have a doctor prescribe it. Finasteride works even better than minoxidil but on the other hand it can have some bad side effects on libido and erectile dysfunction.

Quote:Hi, I have a question. How many times should I use Rogaine? Do I use it everyday?

Yes you use it every day. Shower in the morning and apply it to your hair once you dry your hair after the shower. Allow for the Rogaine to dry in a couple of minutes on its own and you can then style your hair with any hair product. Make sure that no hair product used to style your hair touches the scalp, this is actually the correct way to style men's hair but most guys layer up their scalp with hairstyling products which can disrupt the absorption of Rogaine. Use the foam version of Rogaine if possible.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help. Not sure about the state of my hairline. Rivere 0 374 10-21-2016 01:51 PM
Last Post: Rivere
  Non-male pattern balding? Losing hair but unsure about reason AntonD 4 389 10-18-2016 06:28 PM
Last Post: AntonD
Shocked 21 years old. I am going bald, having maturing hairline or just paranoic HardRocker995 0 1,186 09-22-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: HardRocker995
  Bald father, grandad with full hair - Am I balding? 20 year old Benji_111 0 541 09-19-2016 08:43 AM
Last Post: Benji_111