Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Receding hairline and best hairstyles for medium wavy hair?
09-05-2015, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2015 07:58 AM by JamieD.)
Photo Receding hairline and best hairstyles for medium wavy hair?
I always took it for granted that my hair was thick and that was that. Barbers have commented on it and said that it would serve me well when I'm older but now at the grand old age of 21 I'm not too sure if my hair is beginning to recede or not. There is a history of balding on my father's side of the family. At the very least my father is III perhaps borderline IV on Norwood's Classification and he's 45. He was one of the lucky ones, a few of his brothers are worse.

I'm pretty sure I've always had a circular hairline. The areas to the sides of my fringe were always shorter than the middle of my fringe. Having said that, barbers have always cut my hair like that so maybe that explains it too. Also, I'm pretty sure my hair type would be considered wavy (correct me if I'm wrong). What hairstyles would suit my hair. I never use products tbh and I'm looking for something new.

Pictures:

[Image: 566c48cc04cf2f9d34637458cb07b861.png]

[Image: 81622b04b270b12a24087d39eeb5513f.png]

[Image: 2ac10800ccdbf06e08492b9275694e35.png]

[Image: 4adac0f1ee198c2345d21fbbf2bd4889.png]

[Image: c97a353fa2b9c0e37a8fd2a9f71dec46.png]

Moderator edit: the pictures above were formatted for their best display.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2015, 09:34 AM
RE: Receding hairline and best hairstyles for medium wavy hair?
Thanks mods for putting the pictures up. Can anyone clarify whether my hair is receding or not? I was thinking of taking pictures every three months to monitor potential hair loss. Does anyone have any recommendations for potential hair styles? Going to the barbers in the next couple of days Smile
09-07-2015, 01:45 PM
I am fairly certain that you're not balding and that's just your normal adult hairline. You're 21 years of age so it's very likely that you've notice some minor hairline recession recently as your hairline has finally taken its shape. The maturing of the hairline occurs between the ages of 17 and 23 but it can occur even sooner or later, depending on whether you're an early bloomer or a late bloomer.

You're absolutely right in monitoring your hairline every three months if you're worried about balding. That's the best measure that you can take at the moment seeing that you are (most likely) not balding and have only done through an episode of hairline maturity. If you search around the forum you will find cases of forum members monitoring their hairline every three months. It's the best advice that you can get since I would not yet jump on something like minoxidil.

See this thread for a very useful case of a forum member who is also very young and was extremely worried of losing his hair. It turned out that his hairline had matured although the last time that I saw a reply from him in another thread, apparently his dermatologist had mentioned that there was a chance of male pattern baldness. I'm not very sure, but read that thread as some of the forum's powerhouses have replied in that thread and have given out some extremely helpful advice that you just won't find anywhere else.

One thing that is recommended in this forum and that I too recommend is to post a picture of your hairline prior to hitting puberty. If you can then post a picture of your hairline at the age of 10 to 12, with a frontal picture being enough. Please obscure your face in the picture as all that is needed is to see the shape of the forehead's hairline. Even a picture where the hairline isn't very visible will do as kids of that age have yet to have their hair thicken up so the hairline of a kid of that age is usually very easy to tell.

You have a lot of hair and it looks thick too. The male pattern baldness that attacks men of you age is extremely aggressive and thins out the hair in a matter of months. I've seen cases like this at our barbershop and they are very sad cases. A male of your age can go in a matter of six months from sporting a handsome head of curls, for example, to having sparse hair that looks ratty and weak.

With your age, if you are to start balding, you will notice some rapid noticeable changes, so checking your hair every three months is the best thing that you can do at the moment. Keep a copy of this official forum diagram of the Norwood scale, which measures the typical progression of male pattern baldness. You should be checking your pictures every three months against that diagram.

[Image: WySY1EY.jpg]

Many of the forum barbers are coming back from the Labor Day holiday and their August holidays so there will be more eyes around. If you can, go ahead and post a picture of your juvenile hairline just to double check that your current hairline shape is just a maturing event. Then we can talk about what hairstyles will suit your hair type and hair length. If you can't find any pictures to post to compare your juvenile hairline, then don't worry about it.
09-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Music RE: Receding hairline and best hairstyles for medium wavy hair?
(09-07-2015 01:45 PM)Panther Wrote:  I am fairly certain that you're not balding and that's just your normal adult hairline. You're 21 years of age so it's very likely that you've notice some minor hairline recession recently as your hairline has finally taken its shape. The maturing of the hairline occurs between the ages of 17 and 23 but it can occur even sooner or later, depending on whether you're an early bloomer or a late bloomer.

You're absolutely right in monitoring your hairline every three months if you're worried about balding. That's the best measure that you can take at the moment seeing that you are (most likely) not balding and have only done through an episode of hairline maturity. If you search around the forum you will find cases of forum members monitoring their hairline every three months. It's the best advice that you can get since I would not yet jump on something like minoxidil.

Thanks very much for your response, it was very informative. I noticed the OP of the helpful thread you linked mentioned his beard filling out. I only turned 21 last month and my beard is still very patchy. I grew it for a month in May and there was still patches of hair missing so it didn't look the best and I got rid. Perhaps this is something that could also indicate whether it's my hairline maturing not? Also, I struggled with acne from about 14-20 and had a pretty bad eight months where it was a little more frequent before. I started washing my face and exfoliating on a regular basis and since June it has stopped for the most part.

On another note, I've struggled with dandruff for as long as I can remember. I used Nizoral for about three months at the beginning of the year and it got rid of it. Its back again but its not as bad as before thankfully. Is Nizoral a shampoo that would recommended here or would it be considered harsh? Having read through the linked thread I noticed some of the vitamins mentioned to improve the healthiness of hair so I'm definitely going to keep those in mind too. Also, I will definitely post back every three months or so. Although it's nature for males to experience balding at some point in their lives, I want to catch it as early as possible and have options open to me.

Anywho, here is a picture of my hairline when I was 12. It's the best I can find at the moment with everyone asleep and I took a screenshot of it from an old video. I'll try and get a better picture tomorrow, but I was 11 in this one and had a straight fringe:

httpsgyazo.com/03465b8b814cceb7f4c7540e3dc107df
09-09-2015, 01:03 AM
Here are a couple more:
httpsgyazo.com/f61b3c6450c40cbf2568279507ac2e7d

httpsgyazo.com/ca29db5eba9d66dad8e23c7073d52ffc
01-21-2016, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2016 05:59 AM by JamieD.)
It's my three month update and I'm slightly worried to be honest. To me, it looks like the hair over my right temple is more receded than the left but I'll post pictures and see what you think. I've started taking accutane recently due to my acne returning and maybe that has something to do with increased loss. Could this still be a case of my hairline maturing? (Remove exclamation marks to view links)

https!://gyazo.com/8203b910272f4058d0b4261ddcfe04f3

https!://gyazo.com/dc1a3a41418017ff3ded1921bb6ffa44

https!://gyazo.com/8c284bfd9c554d241c120a10ccc1a3db

https!://gyazo.com/50227486cc964f2f3026069dfa08f6c4

https!://gyazo.com/df6ee16338871fca232c0cfb9c5c88a0

https!://gyazo.com/5105c7f6cd6c9f7167ea82a39ea34428
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help. Not sure about the state of my hairline. Rivere 0 420 10-21-2016 01:51 PM
Last Post: Rivere
Shocked 21 years old. I am going bald, having maturing hairline or just paranoic HardRocker995 0 1,277 09-22-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: HardRocker995
  Hair receding or maturing? Possible balding with receding hairline Relinquish 2 1,163 08-18-2016 01:17 AM
Last Post: Relinquish
  Receding Hairline or Maturing Hairline or Neither? GoodHair 17 93,120 08-04-2016 02:01 AM
Last Post: 16 years old