Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Receding Hairline or Maturing Hairline or Neither?
08-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Receding Hairline or Maturing Hairline or Neither?
For some background information, I'm 20 years old and generally take good care of my hair. Lately I've noticed a lot more hair falling out when showering or when styling my hair. I probably lose about 10 hairs in the shower (even more if I shampoo/condition, probably closer to 20), and about 10-15 more when I style my hair. If I run my hands through my hair I also usually get about a strand or two. I'm beginning to worry if my hairline is receding, as the corner of my hairline is "messy" (there's a lot of smaller hairs). Also if this amount of hair loss isn't normal, what's a good way to stop the hair loss? I'll try to get some pictures up later. Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2014, 07:03 PM
RE: Receding Hairline or Maturing Hairline or Neither?
Just bumping this. To add to it, I actually noticed about 20 hairs after I was done styling my hair today (I just used wax, no heat or anything). Any information would be appreciated, thanks.
08-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Can you post pictures?

At 20, your chances of suffering from male pattern baldness are minimal, although there's always a chance. Having said that, by 20, many men have a mature hairline (i.e. the hairline they will stay for the rest of their lives until they start balding), while other men can maintain the same hairline (or just about) as when they were teenagers.

If you post pictures, we can gauge your case better. Also, I believe you're also following the methods from The Men's Hair Book (or The Curly Hair Book), and, as said in the book, you should expect more hair shedding due to the fact that your hair strands are lubricated (from using a conditioner properly and from using your own sebum). The difference between the bad hair that most guys have and a well lubricated mane is like night and day, including the hair shedding (which would otherwise still be trapped in the hair).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Here are some pictures.

This picture is from a couple months ago, but it's what my hair looks like when it isn't pulled back:

[Image: 6_zps1e173349.png]

These are from a couple months ago:

[Image: 4_zpsb26b9ce7.png]
[Image: 3_zps9d363194.png]
[Image: 5_zps2b86cbdc.png]

These are more recent, and what my hair looks like at the moment:

[Image: 1_zpsa9b63b7e.png]
[Image: 2_zpsc7266332.png]
08-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Just posting this as a bump.
08-25-2014, 06:45 AM
The pictures from some months ago had me slightly worried because the receding looks to be isolating the forelock, which is the start of the "island" shape in male pattern baldness. However, the more recent pictures you posted do show that the hairline is less receded, if any. It's probably a visual effect, but the problem is pointing out which of the two hairlines is the currently correct one.

[Image: WySY1EY.jpg]

I would say keep an eye out. You're 20, so even if you had male pattern baldness, it would take a long time to recede. I would not just yet touch minoxidil/Rogaine, since minoxidil is much better suited for vertex thinning, and you seem to have plenty of thick hair strands on the top of the head already. You can use minoxidil if you're super worried, as minoxidil still works on the temples and hairline, but you'd be shelling out anywhere from 30 to 50 bucks per month (have a look at out OTC hair loss products thread for cheap reliable sources of minoxidil/Rogaine).

What I'd do is wait until 3 months and evaluate, and then wait another 3 months and then take action. If in 3 months there is some further receding of the temple corners, act on it. However, you won't be really able to 100% know if it's male pattern baldness until 6 to 12 months time as that's enough time for the hairline to recede in aggressive MPB cases (which are the ones that occur to young men like you). A typical case of an aggressive MPB on a young male is that of soccer player Arjen Robben, who, by age 22, was balding profusely already.

As said, wait 3 months. You also have a pretty forward hairline naturally, so that's a good thing. Since you're 20, this could be your hairline maturing to your adult hairline. It's not easy to tell and, even if you went to a hair loss doctor, they won't be able to tell you 100% or give you a prescription for finasteride, which is hormonal suicide for a 20 year old male.

Wait, and relax. You have thick hair strands so you have a good foundation for some hreat hairstyles, so take advantage of that! Do, however, avoid combing the hair too ward or classic slicked back hairstyles (do the modern slick back instead if slicking your hair backwards).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the detailed response. I could post some more pictures if that would help determine whether or not it is male pattern baldness. In both pictures I was pulling the hair back with a decent amount of force, so maybe it could have exaggerated the results?

But if I am actually losing hair (or if it is actually male pattern baldness), could there be any reason for it other than genetics? The reason I'm asking is because hair loss doesn't run on my mother's side of the family, and my older brother has no hairloss at all. My dad does have some hair loss (probably NW II-III) but considering his age it's really not too bad. The only hair loss I have in my family is some of my uncles on my dad's side of the family. If it isn't genetic, what else could it be? Could stress or diet play a role?

Thanks again.
08-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Also to add to this, I have been styling my hair kind of spiked up, kind of like a faux hawk. I have two cowlicks on both sides of my hairline which cause the right side of my hairline to grow to rightward, and the left of my hairline leftward. Since I'm "pulling" or "parting" the hairs in the opposite direction, could that be causing too much tension and be the cause of the hair loss if it is indeed hairloss?
08-27-2014, 07:43 AM
Be careful with genetics, they are tricky, and all it takes is for one unexpressed gene to be expressed on you to cause chaos. It's isn't as easy as looking at your uncles, although it can give you a hint about how hair genetics expresses in both sides of your family (but only a "hint"). Also, hair loss comes from BOTH sides of the family, not just the mother's side.

One thing about genetics and hair loss which should be investigated by you: if a male becomes a Norwood IV+ before age 30 to 35, then that type of MPB is classified as aggressive and there's some evidence that it expresses clearer on a male. What I'm trying to say is, if your uncles went visibly bald before age 35, then that hypothetically increases your chances of going bald. I am telling you this because, were you to have MPB (which I am 90% you don't and it's just you pulling your hair too hard), then you could research your family members (go back as many generations back as possible) and check if any of them went bald before the age of 35. Because, if any of them did, then I would recommend you to keep an eye on the hairline by taking pictures of your head every 3 months.

Stress and diet can cause mild hair loss, but you need to be under a lot of stress (chronic stress) and/or dieting really hard during a long term. If you have the regular stress of any young male (e.g. homework, part time job, romantic worries), then you'll be fine.

Illness does cause hair loss though, but you seem like a healthy young man and it's the highly-debilitating illnesses that cause hair loss. Lastly, the hair loss from stress/diet/illness is spread across all of the scalp and doesn't follow the typical pattern of male pattern baldness.

I think you're pulling your hair too hard on the pictures, hence it's a visual effect. Do report back on your uncles though.

08-27-2014, 07:46 AM
(08-26-2014 04:33 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Also to add to this, I have been styling my hair kind of spiked up, kind of like a faux hawk. I have two cowlicks on both sides of my hairline which cause the right side of my hairline to grow to rightward, and the left of my hairline leftward. Since I'm "pulling" or "parting" the hairs in the opposite direction, could that be causing too much tension and be the cause of the hair loss if it is indeed hairloss?

Cowlicks are a mess to style, and you need longer hair to be able to style the hair properly. Your hairline cowlicks are mild though, I've seem some pretty hardcore ones.

You should still be able to style a Faux Hawk though, no? Your cowlick on the right looks like a very mild one, although you have some thick hair strands which doesn't help. In any case, you have lots of density and thick strands, so you can do some cool hairstyles. Having said this, if you want to wider range of hairstyles, then grow your hair an extra 3 inches of length as that will give you better malleability of the hair.

08-29-2014, 03:51 PM
(08-27-2014 07:46 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(08-26-2014 04:33 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Also to add to this, I have been styling my hair kind of spiked up, kind of like a faux hawk. I have two cowlicks on both sides of my hairline which cause the right side of my hairline to grow to rightward, and the left of my hairline leftward. Since I'm "pulling" or "parting" the hairs in the opposite direction, could that be causing too much tension and be the cause of the hair loss if it is indeed hairloss?

Cowlicks are a mess to style, and you need longer hair to be able to style the hair properly. Your hairline cowlicks are mild though, I've seem some pretty hardcore ones.

You should still be able to style a Faux Hawk though, no? Your cowlick on the right looks like a very mild one, although you have some thick hair strands which doesn't help. In any case, you have lots of density and thick strands, so you can do some cool hairstyles. Having said this, if you want to wider range of hairstyles, then grow your hair an extra 3 inches of length as that will give you better malleability of the hair.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am able to do a faux hawk, but at shorter lengths the hair on the sides of my hairline stick out so it doesn't look very clean. I'm not sure if that's because how thick my hair is or it's just the way it grows. But I'm relieved it's not male pattern baldness haha. What would you suggest to tame the hair shedding? I'm losing about 20-25 hairs when shampooing, and another 10-20 hairs when styling my hair. I know you lose a lot more when you take care of your hair, but is that much hair loss too much?
09-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Hey there I am not an expert like TMHF but heres my advice:
About the hairstyle problem you have I do agree with TMHF. You have thick hair strands & straight hair which can have the problem of hair growing up & being a bit difficult to style until you have some more length. You report this happening to you with short hair so have peace of mind that it is only because you have thick strands.

About the shed hair strands when you style your hair, this is completely normal. What you can do is run your fingers thru your hair when you have applied the conditioner. This is what is called the sebum coating method in The Mens Hair Book. Just use the fingers of your hair like a comb - shape your fingers like the teeth of a comb - then run your fingers thru your hair. Or you can simply use a regular comb & not your fingers - up to you. This gets rid of the shed hair strands that are still attached to your healthy growing hair. The fingers or comb pulls the shed strands carefully while leaving the growing hair untouched.
09-05-2014, 08:09 AM
(09-02-2014 09:53 AM)Jurgen Wrote:  About the shed hair strands when you style your hair, this is completely normal. What you can do is run your fingers thru your hair when you have applied the conditioner. This is what is called the sebum coating method in The Mens Hair Book. Just use the fingers of your hair like a comb - shape your fingers like the teeth of a comb - then run your fingers thru your hair. Or you can simply use a regular comb & not your fingers - up to you. This gets rid of the shed hair strands that are still attached to your healthy growing hair. The fingers or comb pulls the shed strands carefully while leaving the growing hair untouched.

Thanks, I've actually tried doing this the past few days on the days I don't shampoo/condition my hair. I noticed about 5-10 hairs shed everyday I did it. But when it came time to shampoo/condition my hair, I once again noticed about 15-20 hairs shed when shampooing, and another 5-10 when conditioning. I'm just wondering how much hair loss is too much?
09-05-2014, 10:46 AM
(09-05-2014 08:09 AM)GoodHair Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 09:53 AM)Jurgen Wrote:  About the shed hair strands when you style your hair, this is completely normal. What you can do is run your fingers thru your hair when you have applied the conditioner. This is what is called the sebum coating method in The Mens Hair Book. Just use the fingers of your hair like a comb - shape your fingers like the teeth of a comb - then run your fingers thru your hair. Or you can simply use a regular comb & not your fingers - up to you. This gets rid of the shed hair strands that are still attached to your healthy growing hair. The fingers or comb pulls the shed strands carefully while leaving the growing hair untouched.

Thanks, I've actually tried doing this the past few days on the days I don't shampoo/condition my hair. I noticed about 5-10 hairs shed everyday I did it. But when it came time to shampoo/condition my hair, I once again noticed about 15-20 hairs shed when shampooing, and another 5-10 when conditioning. I'm just wondering how much hair loss is too much?

Don't worry about it. When you shampoo and condition, you are "juicing" your hair (with the conditioner) so you are releasing hair strand that were detached from the scalp. That number is absolutely normal, don't worry.

We men with no male pattern baldness shed about 100 hair strands per day (more or less). When you have longer hair, like you do, the hair is more visible, so you get scared: this is what happens to men who start looking after their hair and growing it to their desired hairstyle.

Post the same pictures in 3 months time. I will keep an eye on your images when you post them. But for now, relax and continue with your hair care and hair styling until you found something you like. You also have dense and thick hair, so you have plenty of ranges to choose. Smile

10-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Just as an update to this thread, I've noticed a lot more hair being lost. I've been getting roughly 20 hairs lost when applying wax and I noticed around 40-45 hairs after shampooing and conditioning. The hairs themselves also vary in thickness and length. It's starting to get a bit concerning as I've also noticed a small change in my hairline (it used to be an upside down U shape, whereas now it's similar to the pictures I posted earlier). The odd thing is my family doesn't really have much balding, and no one I know has had hair loss this young.

I'll stick to TMHF's advice and wait another month or two and post update pictures, but I just wanted to post an update as I've noticed an increase in the amount of hair I'm losing.
11-23-2015, 07:20 PM
(08-17-2014 09:25 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  For some background information, I'm 20 years old and generally take good care of my hair. Lately I've noticed a lot more hair falling out when showering or when styling my hair. I probably lose about 10 hairs in the shower (even more if I shampoo/condition, probably closer to 20), and about 10-15 more when I style my hair. If I run my hands through my hair I also usually get about a strand or two. I'm beginning to worry if my hairline is receding, as the corner of my hairline is "messy" (there's a lot of smaller hairs). Also if this amount of hair loss isn't normal, what's a good way to stop the hair loss? I'll try to get some pictures up later. Thanks in advance.

I'm a 25-year-old guy, my hairline is starting to recede, and I want to know what my real options are. This hurts me particularly because I have thick, wavy brown hair, and I consider it my best physical feature (it is by far the part of me that I get the most physical compliments on). I'm not wearing a toupee or anything obvious and gross. I'm 25 for God's sake! I'm too young to be old!
11-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Quote:I'm a 25-year-old guy, my hairline is starting to recede, and I want to know what my real options are. This hurts me particularly because I have thick,wavy brown hair, and I consider it my best physical feature (it is by far the part of me that I get the most physical compliments on). I'm not wearing a toupee or anything obvious and gross. I'm 25 for God's sake! I'm too young to be old!

I have tried it like 3 years ago and I'm still using it. Remember that you cannot expect any miracles when you are balding, your hair will never be the same, but you can make it look better. This is one of a few things that helps and trust me I've tried millions of them.
08-04-2016, 02:01 AM
Hi I'm 16 years old and I have done a lot of research about this and I really need clarification if I really am going bald and I could post pictures If it helps by the way you don't have to sugarcoat it.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help. Not sure about the state of my hairline. Rivere 0 374 10-21-2016 01:51 PM
Last Post: Rivere
Shocked 21 years old. I am going bald, having maturing hairline or just paranoic HardRocker995 0 1,188 09-22-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: HardRocker995
  Hair receding or maturing? Possible balding with receding hairline Relinquish 2 1,124 08-18-2016 01:17 AM
Last Post: Relinquish
  Is my hair receding?? AlphaChief69 0 576 07-21-2016 04:53 AM
Last Post: AlphaChief69