Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebellious Hair
03-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Rebellious Hair
Hello, all. New here!

I'm a 20 year-old college junior. I'm in a very professional program with many professors that are Air Force retirees. They do not usually allow hats to be worn in class, and understandably so.

I have wavy hair that is very thick. The last time I've seen it in its most natural state was freshman year of high school. My family used to poke fun at me saying my hair was a mop. Since then I've tried to clean up and look like I care about my appearance. With regards to product and styling, my hair has never been cooperative when I do it. If I get a haircut and my barber uses some product and styling, it works. In the last 3 years, I've done a uppercut fade with my sides buzzed or really short. That Euro soccer player look, I call it. I've used a variety of gels, pastes, creams, etc. and I still can't get it. I'm from Boston, and with the humidity, my hair just didn't cooperate. I go to school in the Rockies, where it's much drier, and my hair cooperated for a while, but lately it has gone back to not cooperating.

Here are some products I've used:
- American Crew Firm Gel
- Style Sexy Hair Hard-Up
- Paul Mitchell "Mitch" Construction Paste
- Axe Spiked Up Putty
- Uppercut Featherweight
- Sebastian MicroWeb Fiber
- Krieger + Sohne Forming Cream
- Pureology Holdfast (discontinued)
- Rusk Wired Flexible Styling Cream

I really do not like gels. Yes, they have strong hold, but I really do not like the crisp, plastic look and feel. I would like my hair to look like I showered and put minimal product and dried it and looks like that. The only way I can get it to look like that is one of two ways (using the Style Sexy Hair Hard-Up):
1) put a lot of gel in it, let it dry and get all plasticky and hard after 2+ hours, and run a comb through it, or
2) style it the same was as mentioned and sleep on it overnight and hope (50-50 chance it won't get bed head) and wake up with it dry and "loose". Many days I do wear hats because I can't get it to look the way I want it, and don't want to walk around with a messed up hairdo. When I am out in the career field, I would like to look nice and have my hair together. (With how early my classes start, I don't have the time to wait two hours for my hair to dry and run a comb through it, unless I wake up at 5:30 every morning).

I have gotten close with any of those products, but I will have many lone hairs sticking up and looking like I held a balloon above my head. When I get my hair cut, the barber for a while used the Pureology Holdfast until she ran out because it was discontinued (and I couldn't get my hand on it), it worked, no hairs sticking up. She transitioned to the Sebastian Microweb Fiber and was still successful. I used it too, but it was still more gel-looking. I have tried waxes without success. I'm sick of wasting money on products that don't work. My barber said to dry different processes of an order of either putting product in wet hair, then blowdrying it, or blow-drying first and then putting in product. I've tried both and neither is that much more successful than the other.

May someone please help! I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------