Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiff hairstyle and losing hair volume with same products
09-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Quiff hairstyle and losing hair volume with same products
Hey guys,

I know it's been a while since my last post but I've still been lurking around every few days. I have really busy with school and life in general so I haven't had the time to post. That aside, I've been noticing some really odd things with my hair in the past few weeks.

As some of you know I have a hair progress thread which can be seen here and in it you can see I've been taking more care during the past 3 months or so. I have also been growing out the hair on the top of my head and it's reached roughly to the bottom of my nose now (~5-5.5 inches about?) at it's longest. My goal is to have it long enough to be able to do a Mariano Di Vaio type quiff kind of like this one.

[Image: sNnOjbW.jpg]

Here is where the problems begin. I've noticed recently that my hair just isn't getting the volume it had just a few weeks ago even though I haven't changed my hairstyle or anything. My hair is also certainly not holding it's style for more than just a few hours, I always have to adjust it with my hands. I'm using (and have been using) the TIGI Bed Head wax, a blow dryer, and sometimes a round brush. It kind of just falls flat. Also the hair on the top of my head seems a bit thinner than the sides and back of my head, and doesn't look as healthy as it did a a few months/weeks ago.

It's got me pretty worried and I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. First off, is this actually a problem or is this what usually happens once straight hair becomes longer? If it is actually a hair problem, maybe it's a nutritional or hair care thing? I haven't been able to get a good amount of protein in recently and have been slowly running out of my vitamins and zinc. I also ran out of shampoo/conditioner so I haven't been able to use any for the past 3 weeks. I've been saving up to refill my hair care stack but until then I've just been on no shampoo/taking whatever vitamins I still have left.

One thing that also concerns me is that I've been using a blow dryer almost every day for the past 2 months, and while I have used a heat protectant every time, I'm worried that the heat may have done something to my hair maybe?

I can also post pictures if that helps you guys assess the situation better.

Thanks for reading!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2015, 10:11 AM
The right male hair length for a quiff hairstyle is between three and five inches.
Losing volume with a quiff hairstyle is very common as the hair grows longer. You have thick hair as in the hair shafts are very thick, so once your hair grows too long, your hair is weighed down naturally. With straight hair the hair is weighed down with only a couple of inches but you can get a lot of volume by using the same hairstyling products that you've used.

Now that your hair is getting way longer, you will need to use a stronger-holding hair product. Otherwise you just won't hold your quiff hairstyle like Mariano Di Vaio or have his same hair volume.

My advice is to get the strongest-hold hair wax from this list of hair styling waxes and to also use one of these hair sprays recommended for men by one of the moderators in the link. Make sure you hair is still a bit damp, style with your fingers and the hair wax as you blow dry your hair. Once you've finished styling with the hair wax and hair dryer so that you've set the perfect quiff hairstyle and volume, you use the hair spray to lock in the shape.

Don't worry about this issue and just get the stronger holding hair wax and the hair spray. Or instead you can cut your hair shorter by about two inches to remove more weight from your hair.
09-13-2015, 07:50 PM
RE: Quiff hairstyle and losing hair volume with same products
(09-11-2015 10:11 AM)Panther Wrote:  Losing volume with a quiff hairstyle is very common as the hair grows longer. You have thick hair as in the hair shafts are very thick, so once your hair grows too long, your hair is weighed down naturally. With straight hair the hair is weighed down with only a couple of inches but you can get a lot of volume by using the same hairstyling products that you've used.

Now that your hair is getting way longer, you will need to use a stronger-holding hair product. Otherwise you just won't hold your quiff hairstyle like Mariano Di Vaio or have his same hair volume.

My advice is to get the strongest-hold hair wax from this list of hair styling waxes and to also use one of these hair sprays recommended for men by one of the moderators in the link. Make sure you hair is still a bit damp, style with your fingers and the hair wax as you blow dry your hair. Once you've finished styling with the hair wax and hair dryer so that you've set the perfect quiff hairstyle and volume, you use the hair spray to lock in the shape.

Don't worry about this issue and just get the stronger holding hair wax and the hair spray. Or instead you can cut your hair shorter by about two inches to remove more weight from your hair.

Thank you! That really put all my worries to bed and I'll continue growing my hair out until the front is about 6-7 inches long. I'll also post an update in the thread I linked in the OP in mid-October to show you guys how everything is looking. I also saw in the Di Vaio hair thread that a high quality blow dryer is important, so I'll try and save up and invest in one of those and see how that goes. Thanks again!
09-17-2015, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2015 02:39 PM by GoodHair.)
One more quick question if that's ok haha. I have never been able to get the front nice and uniformly in one direction like Mariano. I kind of have a natural middle part so when I blow dry it up it tends to kind of automatically go into a curtain-style quiff type thing so I usually have to resort to a side part quiff. But that doesn't work 100% either because one side stands up. When I do my hair I start with damp hair, use a heat protectant, apply either wax or mousse, blow dry it straight up/kind of twisting my hair up using my fingers and a round brush, then finishing off with more wax. It's hard to explain over text, but is there anything I'm doing wrong?
09-19-2015, 12:25 PM
I took a picture today right after styling it today to show you guys what my attempt at this quiff looks like. As you can see, my hair kind of grows outwards so it sticks out on whichever side I start my part from, it also tends to part in the middle and not hold just an hour or so after styling. What do you guys think, any suggestions on how to get it more like the picture I linked in the OP? I also just got the sides trimmed last week but I think I probably should have gotten it cut a little shorter, something about the cut looks off. [Image: Yr6EYbI.jpg]
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I need help about my hair,products and what to do UltraReflex 0 136 10-31-2016 11:59 PM
Last Post: UltraReflex
  Need help to achieve hairstyle - Alan Wilder from Depeche Mode oliharps01 0 173 10-18-2016 04:19 PM
Last Post: oliharps01
  Johnny Marr and products? Blackmass 2 410 09-14-2016 04:57 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Growing Man Bun Hairstyle with Short Wavy Curly Hair and Puffy thickheadedandhaired 3 1,369 05-02-2016 04:24 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi