Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiff/Brush up haircut tutorial
05-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Quiff/Brush up haircut tutorial
So for a while I have been looking around for haircuts / hairstyles that I could try out and I came across this youtube video and while its not in English so you cant understand what he is saying the result (Shown at the end) looks great and (From TMHF) is a blend between a full quiff and a brush up hairstyle.

Im not much of a hair expert I just thought I would post this to show the hairstyle so any of the more experienced posters can give suggestions or more information on this haircut.

Also , What face shapes would work best with this haircut/hairstyle , Im wondering weather it would work well with a round face shape?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hYAE418i-ZY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2014, 01:32 PM
RE: Quiff/Brush up haircut tutorial
Does anyone know what the name of this hairstyle is , I was wondering if I could find some more hairstyles and images like this ?
05-07-2014, 02:42 PM
(05-07-2014 01:32 PM)Jonny Wrote:  Does anyone know what the name of this hairstyle is , I was wondering if I could find some more hairstyles and images like this ?

I am assumming you want to get this hairstyle right m8? yes that looked like a brush up when he was about to finish but then he flattened the mid and crown hair so placing emphasis on the quiff.

The haircut for the quiff is very simple in the video. It is just a short taper cut finished with a clipper at the hairline. The top looks about four inches or eight to ten centimetres long, even on the top.

Go to the barber and tell them you want to have a haircut to have a high quiff and to leave the top of the head at about four inches long. Also tell them the sides and back of the head to do them as a fast taper ended with a clipper.

You can learn more about this haircut and see more pictures of taper haircuts in the taper hair cut thread and in the thread for haircuts for black men, those two threads will give you a good idea of the kind of haircut you will be getting.

That should get you set Smile

As for the styling, a hair wax works very well for that quiff hairstyle. At that length you can also try a pomade or hair gel but wax, specially styling wax for moulding and shaping hair is the best product for a quiff.

For the quiff just searcht he forum there has been lots of posts on the quiff. Also check the brush up guide in the link because the length of the brush up is what you will be getting for the hairstyle of the video only that you will be making the top flat except for the quiff.

Actually the haircut is very easy and so is the hairstyle. I don't see any difficulties for it so you will do very well with it. A trick that some guys in this forum do is take screenshots of videos of hairstyles the like when there are no pictures they can find the like. The you print out or save in your mobile phone the screenshots you took just more help to the barber of what it is you want. As a barber me self I can tell you mate we actually appreciate the most visuals you can bring the better because we can combine yours words with the visuals for the ultimate haircut to give you Cool
05-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Jonny, take it from our young grasshopper Bradley above. He knows what he is talking about.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-07-2014, 11:15 PM
(05-07-2014 02:42 PM)Bradley Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 01:32 PM)Jonny Wrote:  Does anyone know what the name of this hairstyle is , I was wondering if I could find some more hairstyles and images like this ?

I am assumming you want to get this hairstyle right m8? yes that looked like a brush up when he was about to finish but then he flattened the mid and crown hair so placing emphasis on the quiff.

The haircut for the quiff is very simple in the video. It is just a short taper cut finished with a clipper at the hairline. The top looks about four inches or eight to ten centimetres long, even on the top.

Go to the barber and tell them you want to have a haircut to have a high quiff and to leave the top of the head at about four inches long. Also tell them the sides and back of the head to do them as a fast taper ended with a clipper.

You can learn more about this haircut and see more pictures of taper haircuts in the taper hair cut thread and in the thread for haircuts for black men, those two threads will give you a good idea of the kind of haircut you will be getting.

As for the styling, a hair wax works very well for that quiff hairstyle. At that length you can also try a pomade or hair gel but wax, specially styling wax for moulding and shaping hair is the best product for a quiff.

For the quiff just searcht he forum there has been lots of posts on the quiff. Also check the brush up guide in the link because the length of the brush up is what you will be getting for the hairstyle of the video only that you will be making the top flat except for the quiff.

Actually the haircut is very easy and so is the hairstyle. I don't see any difficulties for it so you will do very well with it. A trick that some guys in this forum do is take screenshots of videos of hairstyles the like when there are no pictures they can find the like. The you print out or save in your mobile phone the screenshots you took just more help to the barber of what it is you want. As a barber me self I can tell you mate we actually appreciate the most visuals you can bring the better because we can combine yours words with the visuals for the ultimate haircut to give you Cool

Ok great , That information is useful thanks , I will be in taking in a few pictures but I would like to know some information about it incase she asks some specifics about the haircut so the information above will help with that ,Ill also have a look at some of the links you posted now.

I should be ordering 3 Gatsby waxes along with the TIGI bed head wax (I think its called that) so im assuming they will work fine , Im also looking to get a promade a few weeks after that.

I think I will also need to grow my hair out a little before getting this haircut as a bit shorter than the length shown in the video so I think I may wait a few weeks to get it done , seeing as I wont be getting my wax for a few weeks anyway.
05-08-2014, 12:25 PM
In case you want to take some pictures of the actual hairstyle in the video, here are some screen captures I took that should give your hairdresser a good idea of how you want the top of the head to look as well as the taper in the sides.

[Image: lSCBEEq.jpg]

[Image: e5hyV0p.jpg]

[Image: m81fIoO.jpg]

[Image: ENFXlVZ.jpg]

[Image: TYKdXc3.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-08-2014, 12:28 PM
(05-08-2014 12:25 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  In case you want to take some pictures of the actual hairstyle in the video, here are some screen captures I took that should give your hairdresser a good idea of how you want the top of the head to look as well as the taper in the sides.

[Image: lSCBEEq.jpg]

[Image: e5hyV0p.jpg]

[Image: m81fIoO.jpg]

[Image: ENFXlVZ.jpg]

[Image: TYKdXc3.jpg]

Great thanks! , I was going to do that myself closer to the time I order my products and get my haircut but you saved me some time so thanks for that haha.

I was wondering If I took a picture of my hair without product just to show length and the haircut I have now , If you could give advice on how long it would take to grow to the length needed?
05-10-2014, 12:16 PM
(05-07-2014 02:42 PM)Bradley Wrote:  

Since you have given advice on this haircut before and seem to know about the haircut , Do you think it would work well for a round face shape or would there be any changes for that facial shape?
05-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Bradley is also a barber so his opinion counts. Since you mentioned in the Gatsby hair wax thread that you want to buy the waxes based on the hairstyle, I will message him to see if he can give his opinion. My opinion is that yes, this hairstyle will suit you.

I think I saw your face shape in some picture here in the forum and your face shape is more oval than round itself. Round faces are actually rare. The guy in the video has an oblong pseudo-oval face too with a weak jawline, which is typical of those face shapes and similar to what you have. Thus, if you think that hairstyle looks good on the model, then it would theoretically look good on you based on facial structure.

Of course, do bear in mind that hairstyle aesthetics ALSO depends on hair care and grooming habits, of which you will find a huge amount of information on in The Men's Hair Book (which I believe you already own).

05-14-2014, 02:11 PM
(05-14-2014 01:19 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Bradley is also a barber so his opinion counts. Since you mentioned in the Gatsby hair wax thread that you want to buy the waxes based on the hairstyle, I will message him to see if he can give his opinion. My opinion is that yes, this hairstyle will suit you.

I think I saw your face shape in some picture here in the forum and your face shape is more oval than round itself. Round faces are actually rare. The guy in the video has an oblong pseudo-oval face too with a weak jawline, which is typical of those face shapes and similar to what you have. Thus, if you think that hairstyle looks good on the model, then it would theoretically look good on you based on facial structure.

Of course, do bear in mind that hairstyle aesthetics ALSO depends on hair care and grooming habits, of which you will find a huge amount of information on in The Men's Hair Book (which I believe you already own).

Ok thanks for the help , That's why I asked for Bradleys opinion because he gave some good help with this haircut and he seemed the best to ask but help and advice is great from whoever it comes from as most of the members on here seem to be pretty knowledble and helpful.

I want to buy a range of waxes and try a range of haircuts to find one that I can stick , Find a product that works with a haircut that works for me aswell , I seem to like similar haricuts to the one in the video though so im hoping that I will be able to try out different hairstyles with the same haircut with different products?

And yeah I do have the book and I think I have incorporated some of the methods into my routine including the one off , One on and believe I take pretty good care of my hair so hopefully it will be ok.

Regarding my face shape , It seems to change (I know it doesn't actually change) but sometimes it looks very rounded and then sometimes it does look more like oval so thanks for clearing that up.
05-14-2014, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2014 03:55 PM by Bradley.)
(05-14-2014 02:11 PM)Jonny Wrote:  Ok thanks for the help , That's why I asked for Bradleys opinion because he gave some good help with this haircut and he seemed the best to ask but help and advice is great from whoever it comes from as most of the members on here seem to be pretty knowledble and helpful.

I want to buy a range of waxes and try a range of haircuts to find one that I can stick , Find a product that works with a haircut that works for me aswell , I seem to like similar haricuts to the one in the video though so im hoping that I will be able to try out different hairstyles with the same haircut with different products?

And yeah I do have the book and I think I have incorporated some of the methods into my routine including the one off , One on and believe I take pretty good care of my hair so hopefully it will be ok.

Regarding my face shape , It seems to change (I know it doesn't actually change) but sometimes it looks very rounded and then sometimes it does look more like oval so thanks for clearing that up.

hi mate, TMHF sent me a message so you wanted to know if that haircut would be good for your face shape right? like TMHF mentioned a round shape of face is not common. Most guys think of there oval faces as like them shaped round. Round is more like when you are really fat and have a double chin and all that stuff... then yes you will look to have a round face. But for actual structure, you would need a short face meaning short jaw projection and short forehead. It is a myth that actual round faces exist... there are *rounder* faces if you will but no round face shape as it is. I dont blame you because I have read a lot of rubbish online and face shapes always comes up at the top of the pile of rubbish.

Your face is probably oval and if you are fat then it would be rounder than usual. Anyway that haircut and brush up quiff in the video would suit you because of the taper. The taper acts as a balancer for rounder temples or upper part of the face. That is why you will have read in this forum the guys always say a big NO to undercuts for oval rounder faces lol it really is hairstyle suicide Big Grin

Your hair wax selection is great. Also make sure you incorporate the hair care stuff in the Mens Hair book, that book should be your style bible. When you have a question, bam go and consult the book as 99% of the time your answers will be in the book. You can also visit the forum and ask us... you will always get a good reply from any of the boys here. Or maybe by me but i have yet to reach the level of epic skills of some of the guys here Big Grin cheers
05-15-2014, 08:48 AM
(05-14-2014 03:55 PM)Bradley Wrote:  
(05-14-2014 02:11 PM)Jonny Wrote:  Ok thanks for the help , That's why I asked for Bradleys opinion because he gave some good help with this haircut and he seemed the best to ask but help and advice is great from whoever it comes from as most of the members on here seem to be pretty knowledble and helpful.

hi mate, TMHF sent me a message so you wanted to know if that haircut would be good for your face shape right? like TMHF mentioned a round shape of face is not common. Most guys think of there oval faces as like them shaped round. Round is more like when you are really fat and have a double chin and all that stuff... then yes you will look to have a round face. But for actual structure, you would need a short face meaning short jaw projection and short forehead. It is a myth that actual round faces exist... there are *rounder* faces if you will but no round face shape as it is. I dont blame you because I have read a lot of rubbish online and face shapes always comes up at the top of the pile of rubbish.

Your face is probably oval and if you are fat then it would be rounder than usual. Anyway that haircut and brush up quiff in the video would suit you because of the taper. The taper acts as a balancer for rounder temples or upper part of the face. That is why you will have read in this forum the guys always say a big NO to undercuts for oval rounder faces lol it really is hairstyle suicide Big Grin

Your hair wax selection is great. Also make sure you incorporate the hair care stuff in the Mens Hair book, that book should be your style bible. When you have a question, bam go and consult the book as 99% of the time your answers will be in the book. You can also visit the forum and ask us... you will always get a good reply from any of the boys here. Or maybe by me but i have yet to reach the level of epic skills of some of the guys here Big Grin cheers

Ok I guess I have a oval shape then , Im not fat but it still looks rounder than a usual oval shape but like I said it does look more oval shaped sometimes , So I don't know , Ill just get the haircut when I can anyway and hopefully it will be fine.

I was just wondering , Would I need a hairdryer for that hairstyle as its a brush up style and have seen you have suggested to use a hairdryer for brush up styles , If that is the case then I would not be able to afford a hairdryer for a while.

Thanks for the help Bradley and TMF
05-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Jonny, you should ideally have a hair dryer for any kind of hairstyle that requires volume (like the Brush Up needs). However, if you still have short hair (which I believe you still do), then you can still get away with not using a hair dryer to keep the hair vertical. It's once you hit the "4 inches" length mark that you will need a hair dryer to keep the hair up and shaped vertical.

A hair dryer is always a good styling tool addition for any men because hair dryers open a new door of hairstyle opportunities. Have a look through our hair dryers discussion for the best hair dryers and best value hair dryers. You don't need to get a premium one if you think the price is too high. A hair dryer worth 30 bucks (30 pounds) would work well, especially for the short term.

Don't make it too complicated. You're at the stage of discovering that you can actually do "stuff" to your hair and change your image for the better. You're getting yourself a good product foundation to try lots of hairstyles, you already have The Men's Hair Book for everything from hair care to styling and you have dozens of hairstyle guides in this forum (plus free advice), so I think that's enough for now. Once you are happy with what you're getting in terms of hairstyles and paying for a hair dryer becomes viable, then by all means get one as it's really worth it for any male wanting better hair (especially for those with wavy and straight hair). But until then, you have plenty for now!

05-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Could you suggest a Hair dryer for a cheap / decent price , I will try to get money at some point and buy one.

I also seen the Zayn Malik hairstyle thread and quite a few of his hairstyles are quite similar to this one or atleast I think the haircut is the same , Styled a little differently.

[Image: 51272797cfff02eae0fae16f459c8527.png]

I watched a video , I can link TMHF if you want so I can put the video here , But the image above is enough to ask , Is that haircut a undercut or a taper cut?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to Do a Fade Haircut - Video Tutorial TheMensHairForum 7 27,552 12-18-2015 07:01 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  Good high and tight haircut video with instructions Bradley 2 2,726 02-07-2015 03:51 PM
Last Post: Bradley
  Black Guy getting Big Afro haircut with Hair Clipper alone! TheMensHairForum 0 2,417 08-20-2014 03:23 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  How to tie a hair bun for men - Video Tutorial for the Man Bun TheMensHairForum 0 54,459 04-07-2014 03:38 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum