Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about shampooing frequency
08-16-2014, 05:43 AM
Question about shampooing frequency
Okay so I read the men's hair book and I'm in my third week of trying to figure out my shampooing frequency. How did you all know when you've reached your ideal frequency? My hair always looks greasy in the AM, but when I rinse it looks clean. So, guys with straight hair...what is your ideal frequency?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2014, 10:18 AM
RE: Question about shampooing frequency
There isn't a cookie cutter frequency that we can recommend based on straight hair. As you read in the book, you have to gradually work out your frequency by using the two week blocks. It will also depend on your hair length too, and in The Men's Hair Book there are some tables giving you some estimates for each hair type and length.

Other variables such as how much you sweat and how much time you spend outdoors will impact your frequency. Some men just sweat too much due to having more sebaceous glands or due to doing a lot of sport such as hitting the gym (not only your body temperature is raised during training but also during the next 24 hours after you trained. The higher your body temperature, the more you will sweat, and the higher your need to shampoo, although, if your hair doesn't get dirty, you can easily remove any sweat with your fingers and water by doing the sebum coating method.

For myself, 3 to 4 times per week is a good frequency. I did follow Rogelio's No Shampoo method and the two week blocks. I recommend that you follow his gradual method because, once you hit jackpot, your hair will completely change for the good Smile (and as you get close to your optimal frequency, your hair appearance will be getting better and better too).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-17-2014, 03:41 PM
currently its twice for me but i was also on 3 a week. DO you have any good frequency worked out already?? like admin said above all u have to do is follow the method with the two weeks and you will get to it in no time.

For me my biggest change was when i went from daily shampooing to on and off which is the every other day option. I could not believe that dropping shampoo like hat would leave my hair much softer. I also found it amusing because in the book you will read the reasons for the wide spread use of shampoo which is exactly the same reasons my mother would tell me when I was a kiddo. If i told her that i dont shampoo daily anymore she would call me a hippie lol Big Grin
08-20-2014, 05:09 PM
(08-17-2014 03:41 PM)Machado Wrote:  currently its twice for me but i was also on 3 a week. DO you have any good frequency worked out already?? like admin said above all u have to do is follow the method with the two weeks and you will get to it in no time.

For me my biggest change was when i went from daily shampooing to on and off which is the every other day option. I could not believe that dropping shampoo like hat would leave my hair much softer. I also found it amusing because in the book you will read the reasons for the wide spread use of shampoo which is exactly the same reasons my mother would tell me when I was a kiddo. If i told her that i dont shampoo daily anymore she would call me a hippie lol Big Grin

Currently I am shampooing every other day. I tried to skip an extra day, but for some reason it made my head itch really bad! However, I think I could benefit from skipping an extra day...any reason for an itchy scalp? Does this eventually subside once your scalp gets used to it? Thanks for the response!
08-28-2014, 07:15 AM
(08-20-2014 05:09 PM)udm1192 Wrote:  
(08-17-2014 03:41 PM)Machado Wrote:  currently its twice for me but i was also on 3 a week. DO you have any good frequency worked out already?? like admin said above all u have to do is follow the method with the two weeks and you will get to it in no time.

Currently I am shampooing every other day. I tried to skip an extra day, but for some reason it made my head itch really bad! However, I think I could benefit from skipping an extra day...any reason for an itchy scalp? Does this eventually subside once your scalp gets used to it? Thanks for the response!

Itching is normal when transitioning, but it's aggravated by sweating. Considering that it is summer, you are probably better off right now increasing your shampooing frequency a little so that you only go shampoo free 2 days in the week. For example:

Monday= On
Tuesday= On
Wednesday= Off
Thursday= On
Friday= On
Saturday= On
Sunday= Off

The On and Off words I've used before are as per the No Shampoo method in The Men's Hair Book by Rogelio Samson since that is the popular method used by men (the method uses the On/Off analogy).

Another factor that increases itchiness is heavy product use. Are you using a lot of pomades or hair waxes? The purpose of the No Shampoo method is to get your hair to rely on its own natural oils for a much better texture and natural look that no man-made product can give you. So if you're drenching your hair with pomades or hair waxes, then you should drop the amount you use and only use a couple of fingertip amounts (or even a single fingertip amount for short hair). Don't worry, once you are getting your sebum coating your hair, it will be looking thicker and with an enhanced shape.

Lastly, are you doing any physical activity like going to the gym? Again any physical activity will make you sweat more during summer and exacerbate any itching.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-28-2014, 10:17 AM
(08-28-2014 07:15 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 05:09 PM)udm1192 Wrote:  

Itching is normal when transitioning, but it's aggravated by sweating. Considering that it is summer, you are probably better off right now increasing your shampooing frequency a little so that you only go shampoo free 2 days in the week. For example:

Monday= On
Tuesday= On
Wednesday= Off
Thursday= On
Friday= On
Saturday= On
Sunday= Off

The On and Off words I've used before are as per the No Shampoo method in The Men's Hair Book by Rogelio Samson since that is the popular method used by men (the method uses the On/Off analogy).

Another factor that increases itchiness is heavy product use. Are you using a lot of pomades or hair waxes? The purpose of the No Shampoo method is to get your hair to rely on its own natural oils for a much better texture and natural look that no man-made product can give you. So if you're drenching your hair with pomades or hair waxes, then you should drop the amount you use and only use a couple of fingertip amounts (or even a single fingertip amount for short hair). Don't worry, once you are getting your sebum coating your hair, it will be looking thicker and with an enhanced shape.

Lastly, are you doing any physical activity like going to the gym? Again any physical activity will make you sweat more during summer and exacerbate any itching.

Thanks for such a great reply! I wouldn't say my product is heavy use. My hair is about 4-5 inches and I use about a pea size amount of Sebastian micoweb. However, I'm in an urban setting all the time which means I am constantly walking and sweating. This could be the case.

Can you please explain or forward a thread that describes the sebum coating method and the application of shampoo. It was all a little confusing when Rogelio explained it. I would really appreciate it!
09-13-2014, 03:09 PM
every other day !
09-14-2014, 08:04 AM
I'm trying to use shampoo as rarely as possible, but if i have problems with itching or my hair looks realy "not fresh" i wash it with some light (without "strong" chemicals) conditioner.
12-13-2014, 07:59 PM
I shampoo every 2 days. I find this keeps my hair clean, opposed to shampooing every day, where it feels very dry.
12-20-2014, 07:36 PM
I shampoo every three days. I like my hair on the second and third because it gets lots of volume from my hairs oils but once I shampoo it leaves my hair dry and lifeless for a day despite having a pretty high quality shampoo and conditioner. Any thoughts anyone?
01-14-2015, 11:16 PM
every two or three days is good
02-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Why can't you use shampoo everyday?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing ponytail important question! Patriots1995 0 58 11-27-2016 02:25 AM
Last Post: Patriots1995
Photo Hair Style Question - Bradley Cooper, etc. mattkaminski 0 530 01-05-2016 02:24 PM
Last Post: mattkaminski