Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem With Brush-Up Hairstyle
03-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Problem With Brush-Up Hairstyle
I've been trying to do the brush-up hairstyle but I can't seem to get it right. Whenever I do it the front is barely curled back, and the front is kind of just spiked up/frayed all over the place. The middle and back just lie flat, I can barely get them to do anything. I'm wondering if it has to do with my hair type, or rather the way I'm styling it/the products I'm using. I currently use a cheap hair dryer, and a cheap big round brush. I also use TIGI Bed Head Wax, and Tresemme Mousse. Anyone got any tips?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2014, 05:45 PM
RE: Problem With Brush-Up Hairstyle
Don't use a hair brush and instead use your fingers. Point the hair dryer to the section of the hair that you are lifting up with the fingers. The wax and mousse you have are great for the brush up hairstyle so it's very likely you not using the fingers.

Lastly it could also be the hair dryer and you may need to upgrade to a better one with either tourmaline or ion exchange technology. But try first the styling with the fingers with your current hair dryer.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks, I'll definitely try using my fingers next time. How would you get it to curl back without a round brush though?
03-12-2014, 06:43 PM
You can still use the round brush to curl the front (forelock), but the rest of the hair on the top of your head should be styled up with the fingers.

Having said the above, a curling iron is the best styling option out of all to get the curling of the forelock hair just right. Popular dudes like Bruno Mars and Zayn Malik do it like that as that's the easiest way to achieve the curl/wave shape. The best hair type to have the forelock curl back as you want and without using any enhancements (i.e. curling iron) is the wavy hair type. If I remember correctly, you have full straight hair which won't shape in a proper wave/curl. Guys like yourself are the ones that benefit the most from a curling iron and a classic example of this is that of Justin Bieber who also has bone-straight hair and uses a curling iron to get the forelock (front) curled back.

See the picture below for the example of how the forelock is set in the brush up of Justin Bieber:

[Image: justin-bieber-celibataire.jpg]

And this is Zayn Mali's brush up hairstyle (with the wavy forelock):

[Image: zayn_malik_5.jpg]

If you are having trouble getting the forelock curled back, then consider getting a curling iron. We have in the forum a discussion on curling irons for men and, out of all of those recommended, this curling iron is a great affordable option. The good thing is that the curling iron in the link I just posted will be helpful for curling your hair for many other hairstyles you have in mind in the future, so that iron is a great styling tool to own anyway.

By the way, if you decide to go with a curling iron, make sure that you also get a good heat protecting product like this heat protecting spray to lightly coat the hair you want to curl (i.e. forelock or quiff) before proceeding to curl it with the iron. That same heat protecting spray in the link is awesome for protecting against the heat from hair straighteners too and not just curling irons!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks, that was a really informative post. So if I understood correctly, this would be the right order?
-Apply mousse
-Blow dry hair up
-Apply heat protector
-Curl front back
-Fix up rest of hair with wax
03-14-2014, 01:16 PM
(03-12-2014 07:05 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Thanks, that was a really informative post. So if I understood correctly, this would be the right order?
-Apply mousse
-Blow dry hair up
-Apply heat protector
-Curl front back
-Fix up rest of hair with wax

Yes!

However, you don't need to use the hair mousse in the first step. The hair mousse should be used as an alternative to the hair wax, it's one or the other. So basically once you get out of the shower, you dry your hair lightly with a towel so it is left damp. Then blow dry the hair so it stands up (using fingers), and proceed as you have listed above.

I would, however, try either of the products in that you can try the method first with the wax you may already have, and then another day try it with the mousse. Using both together is too much, especially for straight hair, and it will really weigh your hair down which is the opposite of what you want in the brush up hairstyle.

04-06-2014, 07:26 AM
I just tried the technique you gave me using a curling iron and it barely worked. My hair still doesn't want to hold the curl in the front. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
04-07-2014, 04:16 PM
(04-06-2014 07:26 AM)GoodHair Wrote:  I just tried the technique you gave me using a curling iron and it barely worked. My hair still doesn't want to hold the curl in the front. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

i use the same technique posted by admin Themenshairforum in this thread and it works perfectly for me. How long are you holding the curling iron for??
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need help to achieve hairstyle - Alan Wilder from Depeche Mode oliharps01 0 168 10-18-2016 04:19 PM
Last Post: oliharps01
  Growing Man Bun Hairstyle with Short Wavy Curly Hair and Puffy thickheadedandhaired 3 1,364 05-02-2016 04:24 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi
  Justin Bieber hairstyle Mobcommcard 1 1,088 05-02-2016 11:38 AM
Last Post: Refrusloi
  What is the hairstyle name of this businessmen haircut? Pablo1914 1 1,358 09-26-2015 10:45 AM
Last Post: Mike Lowe