Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible to style high top haircut with curly hair? coiled curls!
07-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Possible to style high top haircut with curly hair? coiled curls!
I was looking at the hi top haircut of Nerlens Noel and Iman Shumpert and they both have kinky curly hair. But is it possible to do a high top with coiled curly hair?

For any noobs out there I am talking of the hair type guide that we use in this forum. The hair type guide is here and talks about the curly types. Its same guide on the Mens Hair book btw. The Curly Hair book uses another hair type guide.
Oh and I asked about Iman Shumpert high top in another thread as some guy was telling me the other day that Iman Shumperts hair is in a flat top not a high top. Which I think is bs but wanted to clear that out with any of you if you can answer that thread Smile

[Image: 426px-Iman_Shumpert_Knicks.jpg]

[Image: ea810fce5dc411e28f2522000a9f148e_7.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mdqueoXBU11qfozuy.jpg]

[Image: c7495e405dc311e2ada222000a9f3cf6_7.jpg]

[Image: iman.jpg]

[Image: aa18fe1a5dc411e288ea22000a1f9318_7.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mt8ed2qGbb1r0axydo1_500.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Use hair gel, blow dryer and spray for the High Top.
Robert, it is possible to style a High Top Fade with coiled curly hair instead of kinky curly hair (the latter being the hair type most common with African American males).

The issue with coiled curly hair is that you will need extra hairstyling products to ensure that the curls remain upright and vertical. With kinky curly hair, the tight curls (aka kinks) can remain vertical with plenty of length and without any extra hair product aid. Thus, the High Top Fade remains an easy hairstyle for men with kinky curls, while others (i.e. men with coiled curls) will have to use some hair products (such as hair gels) to be able to maintain the actual High Top aka Flat Top.

The hair products that I recommend for men with coiled curls wanting a High Top Fade are:
  • Hair gel: coat your coils with hair gel and use an upward styling motion to style your coils as you apply the hair gel. Go from the root and upwards till the tips. Use a strong hair gel like THIS one.
  • Hair dryer: once your coils are coated in hair gel and somewhat vertical, point the hair dryer towards your hair as you continue to style your hair up. Add more hair gel if needed until you get the coils erect and vertical to the scalp. An excellent hair dryer that we highly recommend (especially for curly men!) is THIS one here, This hair dryer is among the few that tames frizz instead of creating more of it (the latter being an issue with most regular hair dryers).
  • Hair spray: once you have used the hair gel and hair dryer to style your hair up and vertical, use a good hair spray to seal the hairstyle so as to keep the coils up and vertical. A great hair spray to use is THIS one, simply spray the product by holding it up in your hand, pointing towards the hair, and from about a one-foot distance.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Music Toby Sebastian Hair Style as Trystane Martell in Game of Thrones Tobys 1 160 10-18-2016 02:30 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 191 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 199 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 10,994 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili