Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pomade suggestions for the wettest look possible
01-11-2014, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 01:45 PM by titanic.)
Pomade suggestions for the wettest look possible
Hello everyone.
I would like some advice and suggestions on what pomade I should buy, that makes the hair look very wet.
I have black thick straight hair and lately I'm doing either a short pompadour or slicked back, with a parting.

I'm looking for:
a) a water-based pomade, that
b) has a good fragrance,
c) doesn't harden the hair, and
d) delivers the wettest look possible.

I would post a video here of what it should be like but I can't.
If you search for "slicked back hair banderas" in youtube, you'll see what I'd like in terms of "wet-ness" (mostly 1st and 4th video).

So, do you have any suggestions?

(I already have American Crew pomade, but it's not too wet looking.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 02:32 PM
RE: Pomade suggestions for the wettest look possible
Go with this hair pomade. Hardly any pomade can meet the specs you are asking for, except for the pomade I posted in the link.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Thank you but I'm confused by the reviews.
One guy says "it has a no-shine matte finish", which is the opposite from what I'm after. (well maybe I should add water or apply to wet hair to get the wet look as it says in the description?)
Also most reviewers say it hardens the hair and makes them crusty.
01-11-2014, 05:42 PM
(01-11-2014 04:02 PM)titanic Wrote:  Thank you but I'm confused by the reviews.
One guy says "it has a no-shine matte finish", which is the opposite from what I'm after. (well maybe I should add water or apply to wet hair to get the wet look as it says in the description?)

A wet look/effect is different to shine. That pomade has an OK shine pomade and gives a wet look if used right (not on wet hair, on damp hair).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-11-2014, 06:09 PM
(01-11-2014 05:42 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 04:02 PM)titanic Wrote:  Thank you but I'm confused by the reviews.

A wet look/effect is different to shine. That pomade has an OK shine pomade and gives a wet look if used right (not on wet hair, on damp hair).

TheMensHairForum is correct (as always Wink) & I think youre confusing the terms 'shine' with 'wet effect'. You didn't ask for shine in your first message but now you ask for it Huh... doesnt make sense.
Anyway, if you want a pomade that has more shine than the one suggested by TheMensHairForum (it is a very good pomade btw) then get this Layrite pomade which also has a good hold like the Suavecito one suggested by TMHF. Since you are now mentioning u want shine then the Layrite pomade will be a good option specially for pomps, classic slick back styles and holding hairstyles.

Btw if you want a real wet effect then hair mousse + hair spray but that will leave your hair hard as rock Big Grin
01-12-2014, 03:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 04:03 AM by titanic.)
Ok, thanks for your suggestions..
I thought that wet look and shine go together..

The more wet is your hair, the more they shine.
I'm not sure if i put it correctly. English is not my native language so...
Yes, I think I'm confusing the terms.

By the way, did anyone see the videos I mentioned in my first post?
Is that shine, or wet-ness?
I'm just saying so that I could understand the difference.
01-12-2014, 07:05 AM
(01-12-2014 03:59 AM)titanic Wrote:  Ok, thanks for your suggestions..
I thought that wet look and shine go together..

The more wet is your hair, the more they shine.
I'm not sure if i put it correctly. English is not my native language so...
Yes, I think I'm confusing the terms.

By the way, did anyone see the videos I mentioned in my first post?
Is that shine, or wet-ness?
I'm just saying so that I could understand the difference.

Buddy, "wet look" is when you get out of the shower, dry your hair a little and leave your hair like that: does it shine? That's the look when going for a wet effect; no shine, just the hair looks humid and as not fully dried Smile

I know the style you are looking for, a "sleek wet effect with shine" would be a better description. However, to have sleek (shine) you will need a pomade that contains ingredients that are hard to wash, and you want the opposite. You are asking for something that is very specific i.e. the uber perfect pomade. The closest approximation to what you're looking for will then be Jurgen's suggestion of the Layrite Super Hold Deluxe as it's easier to wash, gives shine and sleek.

Many times it is a matter of trying different ones; go with one that resembles your need such as the Layrite pomade suggestion above and give it a try. And make sure your hair care is 100% solid as many times, when people report that a product is bogus, it's because their hair care is dreadful. A product is not a magic solution; if you want great hair (in your case, sleek wet), then you have to have a solid hair care strategy too, and not just a "product".

For example, what is your nutrition like? Are you taking enough vitamin C? How about zinc? Are you shampooing your hair every day? Do you use a conditioner? Do you spread your own hair sebum?

There is no magic bullet, brother, and we can only give suggestions based on assuming you have a solid hair care routine. I tell you what, buy the Layrite pomade and also buy The Men's Hair Book. Start using the pomade but also read the hair care and hair grooming chapters in the book (and then the rest of the book). Your vision and understanding of hair care will totally change and you will learn to adequate a hair product to your very own needs. And of course, you can ask questions as you roll here and the forum Smile

Let me know if that helps, buddy Wink

01-12-2014, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 09:15 AM by titanic.)
Thank you for your detailed reply.
I don't follow any particular hair stragedy.

If I put pomade (or gel) in my hair, I wash it afterwards (I won't sleep with it I mean), and if I don't put anything at all in my hair I wash every 2-3 days.
That's about it. I don't put anything else on my hair.

I knew about Layrite, (maybe Super Shine would be even better?), but someone said in a review that it doesn't smell good (like plastic or something, don't remember), so that held me from buying it.
02-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Glad to see I am not the only one confused by "wet look" and "shiny"... !! After reading all the posts here I must admit I'm STILL a bit confused... For "just out of the shower" wet look - Suavecito or Layrite?? Thanks in advance
02-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Use the Suavecito pomade.
(02-10-2015 05:00 PM)SteveMcG Wrote:  Glad to see I am not the only one confused by "wet look" and "shiny"... !! After reading all the posts here I must admit I'm STILL a bit confused... For "just out of the shower" wet look - Suavecito or Layrite?? Thanks in advance

I replied to your question in the slicked back undercut products thread. Suavecito for a wet look.

If you want high shine for your hair (hair that has a slicked/grease-like look), then Layrite. Since Layrite's pomade is water-based (the one we recommend in our forum), then that protects you from having your hair look really greasy, which is what used to happen with oil-based pomades.

09-09-2015, 04:37 AM
Well, long after my initial post, but it seems the shiniest water-based pomade is indeed Layrite Super Shine.
But, it has an awful smell!!
Why did it have to have that? Sad

I found a chart with an extensive range of pomades and their characteristics.
IF you put by order of shine, after Layrite (a rating of 10 in shine) there are some others, but again rate at 5-7 out of 10 in the scent column.
The first after Layrite that seems to have a good scent (9) and rates as 8 in slickness is John Allan's Blu Pomade.
I haven't tried it yet.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to degrease and remove pomade from hair leastwood2 1 625 06-15-2016 09:40 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Ponz Grooming hair pomade opinions and experience vicktor.j 0 184 06-13-2016 10:04 AM
Last Post: vicktor.j
  Need recommendations for a pomade Dreadedone 0 367 04-27-2016 11:41 AM
Last Post: Dreadedone
  By Vilain Dynamite Clay vs Baxter of California Clay Pomade goldensw 2 718 04-17-2016 12:37 PM
Last Post: streaks of wavy