Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help- growing hair out and it looks rats
03-22-2015, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 12:50 PM by fluffyhairedguy.)
Please Help- growing hair out and it looks rats
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on growing my hair out and not having it look terrible in the process.
I'm 21 years old but since I was 18 I've always had it buzzed in (0 or razor at sides and back and a 1 or 2 on top). It was easy, fitted my image and doesn't mess with my eczema (I have terrible eczema which results in dandruff)
I'm now trying to grow it out to look a little more professional and less ill.
I spent 6 weeks growing it after a buzz, before I got it scissored on top and buzzed (0 at the sides).
It's now been 2 weeks since I got it scissored and buzzed and it looks pretty rats- I style it with pomade or wax- all I can do is either spike or sweep to the side (it spikes itself a bit).
I was wondering how can I style it while it grows so it doesn't look terrible.
I have fluffy thickish hair that grows up so it looks all fluffy and dead unless I apply product.
I have to wash my hair everyday with prescription shampoo to limit eczema problems which probably dries it out but this is important (not doing it makes me itch a lot).

I'd like to slick my hair back but it's too short (an inch on top) so any other cool styling tips would be welcomed.
I'm also tempted to get it buzzed at the back and sides this week (leaving the top) but I think I'd be better waiting another 2 weeks for this.

Here's what I look like currently (with product) apologies for the uglinessTongue

[Image: IMG_20150322_185825794_zpsjxh16uy2.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150322_192332586_zps4f8e9yv6.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150322_192325170_zpswdrwktyj.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150322_191412522_zpsn9j6oa75.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Wait 6 months to slick back your hair and in the meantime get a High and Tight!
Welcome!

Your hair is right now on the border of being too short for hairstyling, at least for what you want done. At that men's hair length (one inch), you style the hair with the haircut, not with the hairstyle. What this means is that you will shape the hair with the haircut as the length of the hair is too short to make it malleable.

The good news is that you have plenty of hair and more on the thicker-than-average range. The bad news is that such hair type (i.e. thickness) is prone to sticking up like a brush and being hard to style until you get a good 4 inches in. It's part of the territory of having thicker hair, but many guys would kill for that hair thickness Smile

You currently have something similar to an Ivy League haircut and crew cut which we've covered in the forum many other times (see the Ivy League haircut link for a good discussion). My advice is to go to the barber every 2 to 4 weeks and only get the sides buzzed with a #1 in a taper haircut while you grow the hair on the top. When you go to the barber, specifically remind him/her that you're growing the top and that you don't want him/her to cut it as barbers have a tendency to cut the top unless explicitly told not to cut it.

I would wait until you have 4 inches of hair length to start slicking. Since you have one inch, you still got a good 6 month of hair growth ahead as the average hair growth rate in men is half an inch per month, although it's a little bit faster in younger men like you and if you're eating nutrient dense foods and supplementing any vitamins that you aren't getting via food.

If you're interested in optimizing your nutrition, have a look at our hair nutrients discussion for some ideas on how you can maximize your hair growth since I take it that you really are wanting to get enough to start slicking.

If you want to get a noticeable hairstyle right now while growing your hair, then I recommend that you get a High and Tight haircut. This type of military haircut buzzes the sides with a #0 or #1 with no tapering, while some length is left on the top. In essence, the High and Tight is the predecessor of the Undercut, and I think that the slicked back Undercut would work very well with you since the short sides suit your overall head profile.

Have a look at our military haircuts discussion for lots of pictures and information on the High and Tight among other military hairstyles. You can also watch this High and Tight haircut video for how the haircut dynamic flows, although any decent barber will be able to clip your a High and Tight.

I take it that you're in the UK, and the High and Tight is a very popular haircut in the army. It's the kind of haircut that never looks bad as it brings out the masculine facial features, so it's a great haircut if you're looking to make a prompt hairstyle change while continuing to grow the top during the next 6 months and then move on to slicked back hair.

Of course, you're more than welcome to post pictures any time. Have a look around the personal threads in the forum and you will see the huge changes (for good) that lots of forum members have done by getting the right haircut, being patient and improving their hair care. You have a good mane on your head, so it's time to grow it out! Smile

Lastly, we've compiled some of the best hairstyles threads into one forum section for ease of browsing. Spend some time in that section going through the hairstyles as you will be surprised at what you find and makes you change your mind.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-22-2015, 02:03 PM
RE: Please Help- growing hair out and it looks rats
(03-22-2015 01:51 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Welcome!

Your hair is right now on the border of being too short for hairstyling, at least for what you want done. At that (one inch), you style the hair with the haircut, not with the hairstyle. What this means is that you will shape the hair with the haircut as the length of the hair is too short to make it malleable.

The good news is that you have plenty of hair and more on the thicker-than-average range. The bad news is that such hair type (i.e. thickness) is prone to sticking up like a brush and being hard to style until you get a good 4 inches in. It's part of the territory of having thicker hair, but many guys would kill for that hair thickness Smile

You currently have something similar to an and crew cut which we've covered in the forum many other times (see the Ivy League haircut link for a good discussion). My advice is to go to the barber every 2 to 4 weeks and only get the sides buzzed with a #1 in a taper haircut while you grow the hair on the top. When you go to the barber, specifically remind him/her that you're growing the top and that you don't want him/her to cut it as barbers have a tendency to cut the top unless explicitly told not to cut it.

I would wait until you have 4 inches of hair length to start slicking. Since you have one inch, you still got a good 6 month of hair growth ahead as the average hair growth rate in men is half an inch per month, although it's a little bit faster in younger men like you and if you're eating nutrient dense foods and supplementing any vitamins that you aren't getting via food.

If you're interested in optimizing your nutrition, have a look at our hair nutrients discussion[/url] for some ideas on how you can maximize your hair growth since I take it that you really are wanting to get enough to start slicking.

If you want to get a noticeable hairstyle right now while growing your hair, then I recommend that you get a. This type of military haircut buzzes the sides with a #0 or #1 with no tapering, while some length is left on the top. In essence, the High and Tight is the predecessor of the Undercut, and I think that the slicked back Undercut would work very well with you since the short sides suit your overall head profile.

Have a look at our] for lots of pictures and information on the High and Tight among other military hairstyles. You can also watch for how the haircut dynamic flows, although any decent barber will be able to clip your a High and Tight.

I take it that you're in the UK, and the High and Tight is a very popular haircut in the army. It's the kind of haircut that never looks bad as it brings out the masculine facial features, so it's a great haircut if you're looking to make a prompt hairstyle change while continuing to grow the top during the next 6 months and then move on to slicked back hair.

Of course, you're more than welcome to post pictures any time. Have a look around the personal threads in the forum and you will see the huge changes (for good) that lots of forum members have done by getting the right haircut, being patient and improving their hair care. You have a good mane on your head, so it's time to grow it out! Smile

Lastly, we've compiled some of the best hairstyles threads into for ease of browsing. Spend some time in that section going through the hairstyles as you will be surprised at what you find and makes you change your mind.
Thank you very much for such a detailed and thoughful reply.
I really appreciate your input and thought.
I really like having my back and sides shaved in so the high and tight looks ideal (I am from the UK so it isn't as common here) until I can get an undercut. It's been 2 weeks since my last cut so I'll go to the barbers this week and get the back and sides buzzed but leave the top as you suggested.
Thank you very much for the welcome to the forum too- I'll read through some of the other guys threads too for inspiration.
Thank you so much!
03-22-2015, 02:19 PM
I think you will dig the High and Tight and even the Recon!
Not a problem! I think you will really like the High and Tight once you get it done. You can even ask your barber to do whitewalls (the hair is almost shaved) if you really like your sides and back of the head super short.

You can also ask your barber to cut you a High and Tight Recon, which has the hair on the top of the head narrowed into a landing strip. Think of it as a 3-inch wide x 6-inch long rectangle of hair on the center of your head while the rest of your head is either shaved or clipped with no guiding comb. The only issue with the High and Tight Recon is that it will slow down your hair growing efforts as you have to clip a good amount of hair on the top, but it's a haircut that looks great if done properly. The military haircuts thread that I linked to in my previous reply has plenty of Recon haircut pictures.

An extra benefit of the High and Tight (and the Recon) is that it's a haircut that women love, mainly because it's a hairstyle that is associated with the Marines (USA) and Royal Marines (UK).

Keep us posted on how your haircut and hair growing goes! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Trust me man you havent seen how much worse it gets lol. Im almost 4 months in growing my hair and my hair is pretty thick as well. It can get bad but I'm trying to get through this phase.
12-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Hi there. So I've grown my hair a bit.
The problem is now I think I'm balding at the crown.
Is this early balding?
//postimg.org/image/b7pi2ksz5/[/img]
//postimg.org/image/7so5t5ipf/[/img]
//postimg.org/image/6da3ml6t1/[/img]
12-15-2015, 03:51 AM
Take it easy, my friend. You are too young to get bald Wink
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing and growing now need some cutting Jawad21 24 7,163 04-17-2016 12:30 PM
Last Post: Jawad21
  Growing long hair (man bun) with fine hair type Bsrfitness 3 7,868 03-13-2016 02:01 PM
Last Post: Eetu00
  Long hair journey to growing a man bun! WesleyGarrett 5 1,814 09-18-2015 07:07 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett