Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing with my curly hair can damage it?
05-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Playing with my curly hair can damage it?
Yo crew, I sometimes find myself playing with my curly hair when i'm sat down. It's become a vice the longer my curls grew and I twist them and curl them around my fingers. I usually do this when i'm studying for finals or stressed.
Is playing with my curls like this going to damage them?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2013, 11:43 PM
RE: Playing with my curly hair can damage it?
I would say yes, more so if the hair is curly as curly hair is easier to damage.

It's quite normal to play with the hair when stressed but the bad news is you will be exposing your hair to more potential to damage it.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-26-2013, 12:12 AM
As simple as it may seem, a trick to stopping the damage from playing with your hair is to just to get a haircut that is short enough so you can't pick your curls with your fingers. I'm telling you this as I get lots of clients with the same problem and I just cut the hair at the right length and the problem is gone.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
05-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Curly hair is naturally brittle, which means that you should always strive to avoid manipulating it too much. Style your curly hair and, then, that's it; don't touch your curls any more throughout the day!

By all means, you can, every while and then, grab a lock of curls and work through any knots or matting, but don't manipulate your hair if it doesn't serve any functional purpose. Furthermore, if you find yourself more like pulling your hair instead of playing with it, then consult a doctor about such habit because it can be a symptom of too much mental stress, chronic anxiety or even OCD.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Awesome, Ill be paying more attention to my hair then if it means playing with it ail damage it. Its not major, just mostly curling the kinks around my fingers when im nervous.

(05-26-2013 03:58 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Curly hair is naturally brittle, which means that you should always strive to avoid manipulating it too much. Style your curly hair and, then, that's it; don't touch your curls any more throughout the day!

By all means, you can, every while and then, grab a lock of curls and work through any knots or matting, but don't manipulate your hair if it doesn't serve any functional purpose. Furthermore, if you find yourself more like pulling your hair instead of playing with it, then consult a doctor about such habit because it can be a symptom of too much mental stress, chronic anxiety or even OCD.

Thanks bro, i look up to you for my hair and my "dramas" like you call them in your book Big Grin
05-28-2013, 12:37 AM
I would do this (play with hair) when my wavy hair was long and my hair would snap sometimes as I would catch my fingers in a knot, not good at all as my hair ended up with lots of split ends.
05-28-2013, 08:13 PM
If you find a knot in your hair, follow Rogelio's instructions on his book (The Curly Hair Book): grease the hair lock and then pull the hair strands softly towards the scalp.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 313 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 288 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 13,699 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  curly super dry bush type unshiny hair shau1203 0 265 08-09-2016 03:30 PM
Last Post: shau1203