Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philips Norelco Speed xl 8240 shaver review
02-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Philips Norelco Speed xl 8240 shaver review
Like many of the guys here I have been playing around with different electric razors and this time I tested the Philips Norelco Speed xl 8240 shaver. It is actually called a mens shaving system, but I will just call it a shaver in this review. I don't have the experience of some of the experts here but I find myself getting more into electric razors and hairstyling tools.

I will first start this review with the pros & cons of the Norelco Speed xl 8240 shaver.

• Speed XL shaving blades – 50% more shaving surface
  • Sharp shave
  • Not noisy
  • Can be used with cord
  • 110-230V
  • Good price compared to other electric razors
  • Over-charging shortens battery life
  • No low battery indicator
So the Norelco Speed xl 8240 razor is made to be fast, give a close shave and is efficient. Such were the claims from the ads and after the first use those claims became a fact.

Norelco suggest to charge the battery for 12 hours before the first use. The charge indicator lights up when charging and after an hour or so, the indicator starts to blink, letting you know that we are ready to shave. The Li-ion battery not only charges fast but also manages to last more than 2 weeks. This can even be easily expanded to one month if not used every day!

About the shave: it really is close and smooth. No problems with skin irritation either. It's definitely not like a top safety razor but almost as good. The shaver itself is not too heavy and amazingly quiet. I bet I wouldn’t wake up my lady by shaving in the bedroom lol Cleaning is easy, you just run it under cold or warm water and it’s clean. From other users I know that the blades last about one year when normally used. It depends mainly how thick your facial hair is and how long it is every time you use the Philips Norelco shave. If you don't have a thick beard yet beard and don't shave everyday, then you could even have 2 years without replacing the blades in my opinion and from what a friend of mine told me.

Another good thing about the Norelco xl 8240 shaver is the supply voltage - from 110V – 230V. This voltage detail helps with your travelling costs as you only need a simple adapter plug to charge your shaver when travelling to other countries. It’s not common in cordless shavers to have such feature. If you travel regularly or plan to be going to some faraway country for your holidays, then this electric shaver will be an asset for you.

One thing I missed about the Philips Norelco Speed xl 8240 is the 'low battery' indicator. But since the battery is a li-ion battery, charging it within a period of two weeks will keep it with some battery life. It also requires to unplug when finished charging. This apparently seems to be an issue with all Philips Norelco shavers.

Overall the Philips Norelco Speed xl 8240 shaver is a great piece of equipment and for a very interesting price too! Unless you're looking for the super top end shavers, the xl 8240 will be one hell of a great choice for its price/quality value. And let's not forget that the Philips Norelco xl 8240 has a 45 day trial, so you can always return it if you don't like it. I bought it from Amazon which is even better as Amazon takes customer support and refunds very seriously which gives me great peace of mind.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2015, 08:37 AM
RE: Philips Norelco Speed xl 8240 shaver review
Nice review mate, I agree that any of the Philips Norelco electric shavers are good to go. It's a brand you can trust for the most part so that's that.

The newer Philips Norelco shavers are way more expensive so the Speed XL keeps the price down and is more of a stripped down version of the 'big time' Norelco shavers.

A similar electric shaver to the Speed XL is the Philips Norelco AT830/46 shaver 4500. It costs less than the Speed XL and gets the same job done very well. I'm mentioning because i've used the Philips Norelco AT830/46 in the past too so it's a good option for anyone not wanting to go big with the more expensive Norelco shavers which at the end of the day give pretty much the same results.

03-13-2015, 08:10 AM
RE: Philips Norelco Speed xl 8240 shaver review
I have also this shaver and seems ok to me and works fine, I reccomend this + I have 5 year warranty :-)

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Up Top Ten Philips Norelco Electric Shavers for Men Reviews Sunset 2 1,725 10-11-2016 10:58 AM
Last Post: sleeping cat
Question Electric shaver vs. wet shaving razor? Pros and Cons discussion Stevens 12 4,523 10-07-2016 11:45 AM
Last Post: Joseph.davidson
  Schick Quattro review: Titanium shaving razor for men The Hairstylist 0 87 10-05-2016 01:57 PM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Shaver as good as a razor darrelj 0 402 01-15-2016 09:57 PM
Last Post: darrelj