Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Personal Review on Gatsby Spiky Edge (Moving Rubber - Pink)
03-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Personal Review on Gatsby Spiky Edge (Moving Rubber - Pink)
Gatsby products are almost constantly mentioned as one of the better products for Asian hair. Coming from an Asian country, they can be commonly found in supermarkets, departmental stores, healthcare stores, 7-11 stores and even the grocery store under my apartment block.

For the past few years, Gatsby's Moving Rubber series has been very popular with men in my country. I was still in secondary school (or high school) when the undercut hairstyle was on the rise. When the hairstyle first came about in school, Gatsby's Moving Rubber wax was the product that almost everyone who rocked the hairstyle used. Only a few used gel. Whenever you enter a restroom, there would be at least one male student standing in front of the mirror, dipping his fingertip into the tub of wax, 'fine-tuning' his undercut hairstyle. I, too, was one of them. It was only until recently that men in my country started using pomade over the wax, but Gatsby's Moving Rubber remains a popular choice of styling product. For the sake of basing the review on my personal experience only, I will not be referencing any information that Gatsby has provided on their website about this particular product. Ready? Let's begin!

Looks and smell

[Image: 7m7ifYFm.jpg?1]

On the outside, the product looks good because of it's simplicity. It's round, pink (or another colour depending on which one you buy) and it has a letter 'G' (Gatsby) which is placed on the cover. It doesn't overload you with tons of colours or lines of words scribbled all over the round container. In terms of size, you can hold the container within your palm. This was pretty important for us students back then because hair wax wasn't allowed in school (who knows why) and we had to hide it in our bag or pockets. Fortunately, it was small enough to fit into most places (that's what she sa... OK sorry). But, if you are thinking of bringing this to work or outside to touch up on your hair after a few hours, this is definitely a plus point. I believe they are selling an even smaller version (travel size) as well! Now with that travel size version, bringing it out is no problem at all.

As for smell, it smells like green apple scent. I think this is common for most of their products. Doesn't really affect the product, but who knows the scent might help you think that you're applying green apple hair styling lotion on your hair? Plus, if your girlfriend or wife smells your hair, they will be attracted and not disgusted!

[Image: X5l9FAWm.jpg?1]

Just a little bit left, haha...

Once you unscrew the cover, you will see the wax itself (duh). I am not sure if each Gatsby Moving Rubber wax has its own distinctive colour, but the Spiky Edge one has a pink colour to it. During the first few uses of the product, the wax will feel slightly solid. But, slowly afterwards, it will start to become more and more of a solid-creamy texture.

Styling abilities

I will be splitting this section into two components: hold and the ability to be restyled. Keep in mind that I have Asian hair (straight and fine), so whatever I say might not apply in the same way as it will for other hair types, e.g. thick hair, wavy hair and curly hair.

First up, the hold. Using about a fingertip-sized amount of the wax, I first warm up the product by rubbing it with both my hands. Once the product becomes colourless, I run my hands through my completely dry hair, from the back to the front. Then I start using my fingers and a blowdryer to style it into a messy sort of pompadour. Through the method that I just used, my hair can stay in position (i.e. hair will not flap down on my face) for up to five hours. Bear in mind that my country is humid and I sweat quite a lot. In addition, being a wax, the hold given by the product comes with a matt finish, or no-shine.

Secondly, the ability to be restyled. This comes from my experience of using the product in school. In the morning, I style my hair like I described above. After four hours, there is a thirty minutes break. During this thirty minutes break, I touch up on my hair. On days where it isn't horribly hot, all I have to do is to add a tiny bit of wax and my hair is ready again. On days where I sweat a lot, I will have to add the same amount as I did in the morning (one fingertip-sized) to maintain the shape and hold. Hence, your hair can definitely be restyled using the same product. You can run your fingers through your hair throughout the day, it doesn't have the super solid hold where your hair becomes stone-like upon applying the product.

Washing the product off

This product is rather hard to wash off. Shampooing my hair once, I come out of the shower to find that my hair is still rather sticky and hard (as compared to totally clean hair). Perhaps shampooing twice or thrice will do the trick. However, I think one of the negative points about this product is that it is hard to wash off. A trade off for decent hold I guess?

Pricing

I am not sure of how much it costs in other countries, but it costs me about SGD 15 for each tub. I am able to use one single tub for at least one month, maximum of three months. If you ask me, that is good value. It is a proven product (for me) that works for Asian hair, whereas some other products that don't work as well on Asian hair cost a lot more.

Summary

+ the sizes available are convenient to carry around, allowing you to work on your hair on the go
+ the wax itself smells good (green apple scent)
+ after warming the product in your hands, the wax is easy to be applied on your hair
+ holds up to five hours without 'maintenance' in between, a decent amount of hold in my opinion
+ matt finish
+ easy to be restyled during the day
+ hair does not become ultra-hard after applying product, allows for movement
- product does not wash off completely in one shampoo routine

I would really recommend this product to anyone with Asian hair. Quite frankly, this is the only effective hairstyling product that has worked for me so far. That's it from me and I hope this review has helped!

Final Rating: 9/10

P.S. Here's one of the styles that I have managed to achieve using this product:

[Image: iwrVU6Ul.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Great review of the Gatsby Spiky Edge moving rubber styling wax!
Great review of this particular Gatsby moving rubber wax! Smile

Very informative read and your experience with the Gatsby Spiky Edge moving rubber wax will be of use for others wanting to decide whether to get the product or not. Normally I like to ask further questions on what the experience was like of the reviewer, but you've pretty much covered it all!

I like the fact that you've confirmed that the re-styling works for you too, as this is something that is one of the selling points of the waxes. Likewise, you've been able to achieve quite a voluminous side part, which isn't easy and speaks good things about your hair styling ability (including the use of the hair dryer, good job!).

Your review actually comes very handy as we've recently had a forum member from Asian descent ask about good waxes for his thick straight hair and he was recommended the Gatsby waxes by Bradley (and Good Hair), which I agree with. Considering that you too have that particular hair type, I've no doubts that your review will come in very handy to Asian males as well as other men with thick, dense straight hair looking to style and shape with volume.

Have you tried the other Gatsby moving rubber waxes? As you know, there is a wide range of Gatsby waxes from their "moving rubber" wax range as we've discussed in the linked thread. The range of Gatsby moving rubber waxes are known not just for their actual hairstyling properties but for their variety in holding strength and finish. Well, they're also known for the bold colors they use in their packaging, but at least the product isn't as ugly as some of the other hairstyling waxes!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-29-2015, 02:58 PM
RE: Personal Review on Gatsby Spiky Edge (Moving Rubber - Pink)
This is a really useful review for me! I'm that Asian guy who started a thread looking for styling waxes with a strong hold. That Gatsby hair wax is one of the styling waxes that I was recommended in that thread as I also went through the Gatsby styling wax review thread in the forum. It's that same thread posted in the previous reply above mine by the administrator.

I have very similar hair to yours actually. Thick straight hair, it can be problematic to style. I'm looking for strong hold, more like a super strong hold. I'm also looking into hair gel and even pomades, as I know that some pomades have that really strong hold and aren't as oily as I initially thought. There's some good suggestions in the forum for water pomades which are mentioned to be oil free and not leave your hair like you soaked it with cooking oil.

Thanks dude!
03-31-2015, 12:09 AM
(03-27-2015 04:24 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Great review of this particular Gatsby moving rubber wax! Smile

Very informative read and your experience with the Gatsby Spiky Edge moving rubber wax will be of use for others wanting to decide whether to get the product or not. Normally I like to ask further questions on what the experience was like of the reviewer, but you've pretty much covered it all!

I like the fact that you've confirmed that the re-styling works for you too, as this is something that is one of the selling points of the waxes. Likewise, you've been able to achieve quite a voluminous side part, which isn't easy and speaks good things about your hair styling ability (including the use of the hair dryer, good job!).

Your review actually comes very handy as we've recently had a forum member from Asian descent ask about good waxes for his thick straight hair and he was recommended the Gatsby waxes by Bradley (and Good Hair), which I agree with. Considering that you too have that particular hair type, I've no doubts that your review will come in very handy to Asian males as well as other men with thick, dense straight hair looking to style and shape with volume.

Have you tried the other Gatsby moving rubber waxes? As you know, there is a wide range of Gatsby waxes from their "moving rubber" wax range as we've discussed in the linked thread. The range of Gatsby moving rubber waxes are known not just for their actual hairstyling properties but for their variety in holding strength and finish. Well, they're also known for the bold colors they use in their packaging, but at least the product isn't as ugly as some of the other hairstyling waxes!

Thanks for your kind words, sir! Unfortunately, I haven't tried the other waxes in the same series. I was desperate for good hold, so I went straight for the one with the strongest hold. Never looked at the rest ever since! Big Grin

(03-29-2015 02:58 PM)Cool Hair Guy Wrote:  This is a really useful review for me! I'm that Asian guy who started a thread looking for styling waxes with a strong hold. That Gatsby hair wax is one of the styling waxes that I was recommended in that thread as I also went through the Gatsby styling wax review thread in the forum. It's that same thread posted in the previous reply above mine by the administrator.

I have very similar hair to yours actually. Thick straight hair, it can be problematic to style. I'm looking for strong hold, more like a super strong hold. I'm also looking into hair gel and even pomades, as I know that some pomades have that really strong hold and aren't as oily as I initially thought. There's some good suggestions in the forum for water pomades which are mentioned to be oil free and not leave your hair like you soaked it with cooking oil.

Thanks dude!

No problem at all, gotta help my fellow Asian eh? Tongue Anyway, I just wish to share that I have tried Murray's Pomade (the one in an orange tin) before. It was really oily for me, there was once I came out of the shower and I pushed my hair back with my fingers. My fingers then got really oily, then my keyboard, then my pillow case... everything I touched until my next shower. But, that said, I read somewhere before that there is a special kind of shampoo that helps remove pomade from your hair more easily. I think it is called Dax Removing Shampoo or something like that.

Wanted to share because you mentioned that you are looking into not-so-oily pomades. Smile
03-31-2015, 07:51 AM
The Gatsby Spiky Edge moving rubber is indeed a good strong hold styling wax!
(03-31-2015 12:09 AM)asianboy Wrote:  Thanks for your kind words, sir! Unfortunately, I haven't tried the other waxes in the same series. I was desperate for good hold, so I went straight for the one with the strongest hold. Never looked at the rest ever since!

You certainly hit jackpot with that styling wax in terms of holding power. If you haven't already, have a look at the thread I posted in my previous reply above in which our staff goes through the different Gatsby moving rubber waxes. There are quite a few of them, but there are 4 that are very useful in particular and that have different ranges of holding strength and shine. Thus, you can style petty much any short and medium hairstyles by having those 4 styling waxes (also a smart move from the manufacturer).

What would you say is the next styling wax or pomade that you want to try?

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-31-2015, 05:05 PM
(03-31-2015 07:51 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(03-31-2015 12:09 AM)asianboy Wrote:  Thanks for your kind words, sir! Unfortunately, I haven't tried the other waxes in the same series. I was desperate for good hold, so I went straight for the one with the strongest hold. Never looked at the rest ever since!

If you haven't already, have a look at the thread I posted in my previous reply above in which our staff goes through the different Gatsby moving rubber waxes. There are quite a few of them, but there are 4 that are very useful in particular and that have different ranges of holding strength and shine. Thus, you can style petty much any short and medium hairstyles by having those 4 styling waxes (also a smart move from the manufacturer).

What would you say is the next styling wax or pomade that you want to try?

Really informative post! All I knew about the other waxes from the Moving Rubber series was that they had different properties. The staff did a great job pointing out which wax is good for purpose. Smile I don't think I will be touching another wax, pomade or gel etc anytime soon, since I am growing out my hair (I wear a black, thin hairband to keep it out of my face). But, one product that has caught my attention is the Star Wax Pomade (Original and Crystal), which looks like it has tons of hold and shine. I feel like it will provide a similar, if not better hairstyling result than the pink Gatsby Moving Rubber.
04-01-2015, 03:08 AM
Styling waxes are not very useful for long hair. Headbands, on the other hand, are!
Ah yes, if you're going to be growing your hair long, then using a styling wax isn't very useful as styling waxes are great for vertical/high hairstyles (lifting the hair up or messing it up), no so much for down/flat hairstyles, which is what you will eventually get with long hair.

Good move with the headband. If there's one thing that we recommend in the forum for men growing their hair long is to invest in a couple of good headbands and lots of elastic bands. The headbands are used to pull the hair back (as you're doing it yourself) while the elastic bands are used to tie the hair. All in all, they're very cheap (only a couple of bucks, if at all) and good to buy them in bulk as you will lose the headbands and hair bands fast.

We have a huge men's hair accessories thread (see the link) with all the available options for men in terms of headbands and hair bands (and more), so, if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend that you go through that thread as we've covered all the types of bands to get and provide sources for buying them (USA/Europe/international) as thin bands, wide bands, hard-elastic bands (e.g. Alice bands) and more! Smile

Great to hear that you to are growing your hair out. Keep us updated on your hair growing efforts and how it's all panning out for you. I just saw your Samurai blog thread, I'll have a look too as sometimes I miss a thread here or there! Smile

Lastly, about the Star Wax pomade, yes, I've recommended it in this thread asking for a good high shine and strong hold wax as the product is a pomade that behaves as a quasi-styling wax, but still retains the clean slick of water-based pomades. That could very well be a good product for you while growing your hair long as you can keep your hair styled back (i.e. a slicked back style), side swept (i.e. combed flat to the side) or slicked back/side swept with some volume too.

If you were to buy a new product, I would certainly consider that quasi styling wax.

04-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Yup, read the thread about accessories already. Smile I am very fortunate because I am able to find such accessories easily in my country, without having to order it online. So far I have tried hair ties, headband and Alice band. Still sticking to the headband though! Big Grin Honestly, I'm currently more inclined towards buying a sea salt spray to try it out and see what it does to my hair. I mentioned before that my hair looks really flat and boring, so perhaps that will help! I've read on sea salt spray in this forum as well (that's the beauty of this forum, so much information Tongue), so all I have to do now is to hunt for it at my local stores!
04-02-2015, 04:45 AM
Oh wow this is the first time that I hear about hair accessories for men. I have some questions about them but I will open a new thread for men as this thread seems to be getting off topic.

To the Asian boy member your review is awesome for me because we have the same hair type. I'm Asian too, first generation. The cool hair guy is also asian, how many of us are there in this forum?? lol

Anyway thanks for the review as I'm going to buy that product thanks to you!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Up Andis BGR Plus cordless rechargeable clipper review - Epic! Curly Dude 2 2,060 07-14-2016 05:22 PM
Last Post: djbumrush
  Wet and spiky hairstyle (C.ronaldo) Xjinzz 0 517 12-27-2015 02:12 PM
Last Post: Xjinzz
  Blackship water based pomade by Flagship review Charms434 0 965 11-16-2015 01:34 PM
Last Post: Charms434
  Teddy Boy Original Water Based Pomade - Product Review Charms434 0 630 11-16-2015 10:49 AM
Last Post: Charms434