Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Mitchell Flexible Style Sculpting Foam review
10-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Thumbs Down Paul Mitchell Flexible Style Sculpting Foam review
This is a review of Paul Mitchell Flexible Style Sculpting Foam. For years now, I have had a difficult time trying to find a sculpting foam or styling mousse that not only smelled nice, but also kept my hair in the desired style. I have normal frizzy hair (like all right?) and at the time, I also needed something that wouldn't dry out my hair as well. After looking and trying different products, I decided to try the Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam.

My experience with this sculpting foam from Paul Mitchell was awful. Mind you I used it on long curly hair and that is the kind of hair type that always puts hair products to a real test. I find that if a product cannot hold up to my curls then it is just generally going to be bad for all our clients whether women or men. If your hair is medium length or longer then I don't recommend this product. If your hair is short as most men have it then you could get some benefits. Much so if you have wavy to very curly hair.

The actual review, I have experience with Paul Mitchell's line of hair products, and as a hairstylist, I do hear both good and bad things of their range of products. From my customers I have heard how well their shampoos and conditioners are, but also how some found them a little expensive (after all its truth). Back then I would talk to some of my hairstylist friends who like to have defined curls with styling mousses and foams, and they mentioned I should try out Paul Mitchell's Flexible Style Sculpting Foam.

I am no newbie to styling mousses and foams. I bought a 200 millilitres (6.9 ounces) bottle of Paul Mitchell's Flexible Style Sculpting Foam. As you squirt the bottle of foam into your hand, it's a liquid but then expands into foam. As directed I distributed the foam evenly throughout my hair and tousled it and pushed it towards the scalp as I was leaning down with my head (this is what is called 'scrunching' and gets better curly definition although you can only do it with medium length curls). After I waited 10 minutes to see if it worked, my hair felt flat. Thinking I didn't use enough, I squirted another handful and scrunched again. My hair continued to lay flat and volume-less, which is rare for me. I decided to use hair spray this time. The hair spray helped, a little, but it made my hair look like I got out of the shower with the wet effect. My hair was crunchy and it took 2 washes to get all the gunk out of my hair.

The foam itself repulsed me. The scent was way too overwhelming and that's something that I hate of hair products and it surely smells to strong for a mens hair product. Once you dispense the foam, you are overwhelmed by the scent of coconut. Now, I love the scent traces of coconut, don't get me wrong, but this was just way too much. On the back of the bottle, it also says to make sure it doesn't get on your clothes, and now I know why! The scent won't come off! So not only did it take me 2 washes to get the gunk out of my hair, but I had to deal with the obnoxious smell that clung to my clothes all day. In addition, the sculpting foam was oddly sticky itself.

Overall, Paul Mitchell's Flexible Style Sculpting Foam was an epic failure. I didn't enjoy the overwhelming smell nor did I like how it made my hair feel sticky, crunchy, and lifeless. To be fairly honest, I can only give this product 1.5 stars out of 5. I like many of Paul Mitchell's products but not this Flexible Style Sculpting Foam. It didn't really do anything for me except waste shampoo and conditioner and give me an obnoxious smell that clung onto me all day. Perhaps if I gave it some more tries I would get some benefit but from experience, I have found that such a product will just not give me much styling benefit no matter how many times I try it.

Now the full container of this Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam is somewhere in my bathroom collecting dust.

If I were to recommend a sculpting mousse for men, I would go with something from Agadir or Moroccanoil - especially for those of you with curly hair, flat hair or thin hair.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2014, 10:16 AM
RE: Paul Mitchell Flexible Style Sculpting Foam review
I have not tried this Paul Mitchell product. But I will add two things.

Paul Mitchell products are usually good especially the ones that are of us to men. I have tried there great volumizing shampoo and conditioner, seen it recommended somewhere in the forum too. I also think that their price is a bit high but it is always the case with hair products that a manufacturer uses a couple of good ingredients and jacks the price up. Their quality products though.

I liked what you say about a product not working well for your hair right from the start. That means you know your hair and that should be the sorta attitude we should all have for our hair. It's obvious that you as a hairstylist know more than any regular guy reading the forum but it goes to show that once you know your hair, you then are capable of knowing fast what products will work for you or not work for you. At the end of the day it is you (you as in any of you) who is the best expert on your hair so a forum like this one is a treasure to really learn the ways of knowing your hair.

Do you have any other hair products collecting dust? I am sure you have a few as a hairstylist. Would not mind some sent my way Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Up Andis BGR Plus cordless rechargeable clipper review - Epic! Curly Dude 2 1,831 07-14-2016 05:22 PM
Last Post: djbumrush
  Blackship water based pomade by Flagship review Charms434 0 898 11-16-2015 01:34 PM
Last Post: Charms434
  Teddy Boy Original Water Based Pomade - Product Review Charms434 0 593 11-16-2015 10:49 AM
Last Post: Charms434
  By Vilain hair wax, Dynamite Clay and Gold Digger review? plate870 0 911 10-06-2015 06:34 PM
Last Post: plate870