Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oily scalp buildup: Dandruff, Sebum or Product residue?
09-21-2015, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 05:41 PM by WesleyGarrett.)
Oily scalp buildup: Dandruff, Sebum or Product residue?
Hey everyone!

I've noticed that sometimes when I scratch my head there are some soft/oily patches. When I look at my fingernails I find some oily residue that is a similar texture to hair paste.

I'm not sure if it could be due to product buildup (of styling creams and pastes), of silicones in my conditioner or sebum buildup. I typically use the L'Oreal Ever Cream sulfate free shampoo and conditioner and the Garnier Sleek and Shine leave in conditioner.

I started using the Head and Shoulders 2 in 1 shampoo once or 2 times per week to help, and I guess it's working alright, but it leaves my medium length hair (~ 4 inches) frizzy and dry.

I'll probably start using Alice bands instead of styling products to prevent hair damage and buildup (if this is the case).

I'd appreciate any tips, advice or input if you have experienced this or know about it!

P.S. I'm trying to grow my hair to my collarbone!

Wes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to treat and cure dandruff Stevens 30 15,677 09-27-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: rvandint
  Itchy scalp with bumps and dandruff, is this a scalp condition? GoodHair 6 2,821 11-09-2015 04:23 AM
Last Post: kibria
Photo Undercut Hairstyle Product for Natural Dry Hair, Need Help! The1HairThatWontStay 2 1,232 08-10-2015 05:49 PM
Last Post: The1HairThatWontStay
  Recommend dry scalp home remedies? Alex 4 1,722 01-30-2015 02:17 PM
Last Post: 3rdto1st