Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New hairstyle suggestions??
02-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Big Grin New hairstyle suggestions??
Hello guys, so up until now I have been getting a short back and sides (size 3) and leaving the top longer, can't say how long exactly. I have VERY thick hair which my barber awlays likes to point out when i get my haircut so bear that in mind. Basicly I want a new haircut because I'm bored of the same old, but i hav'nt really got an idea of what hairstyle would work with my hair. I also don't like the way my hair looks from a side point of view if that makes any sense. Planning on going to the barbers this week as it has been 7 weeks since last cut so suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

[img][Image: bCTGify.png?1][/img]

[img][Image: G8aORlI.png?1][/img]

P.s My hair is red but it isnt very obvious in the first few pictures lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2015, 09:45 AM
RE: New hairstyle suggestions??
Your hair looks really good on the last picture. Is that the way your hair looked when you got you last haircut?

I think you would be the perfect candidate for the slicked back undercut hairstyle. Read the guide in the link but it's basically you get your sides and back clipped really short, shorter than in the haircut you had, and then you grow your hair a little longer. The recommended length in the forum is between four to six inches of length on the top, which I also agree with.

At your rate and since you mention that you want to go to the barber soon, I would ask for an undercut and leave the hair on the top un-trimmed. You want to grow the hair on the top. IMO you would need about an extra 3 months to really get a cool slicked back hair style, so in the meantime you just keep getting the undercut done every two weeks and keep styling your hair like you had in the haircut picture.

Was the hairstyle with the side part styled by your barber when he gave you the haircut or did you style the hair like that? I ask because the side part hairstyle that you have on the last picture, on the haircut picture, would go great with an undercut. You would then use the undercut + side part hairstyle during the next 3 months and then once the 3 months are over, you will be able to achieve a really cool slick back hair style.

Since you also have a lot of hair, you will bet a lot of volume easily. When the slicked back hair has volume, it's called a modern slick back. It's all explained in the slicked back hair guide too and is a great read to view other slicked back hair pictures and get an idea of how your hair would end up looking like! Smile

For products to style the slicked back undercut, try reading this products thread for good products to use with your slick back undercut. Mainly it's a strong pomade that you want, especially with thick hair like yours. Also consider getting yourself your own hair clipper as giving yourself an undercut is really easy and will potentially save you a lot of money in the future (for recommended hair clippers see this forum guide).
02-23-2015, 11:28 AM
First of all, thx so much for taking your time to help me out Big Grin

The last picture is fro last year just after I had my haircut but its pretty much the same as i get it cut now. I styled my hair like that as the barber isnt the best at styling my hair imo.

A few issues for me with the slick back undercut:

From the pictures Ive seen it isnt really the style I'm looking for as I don't really l like the slicked back look, maybe I'm wrong but I don't see that working too well with my hair because the hair at the back and crown of my head grows extremely thick and fast. Also when I get my hair cut I have to get the top hair gradually shorter towards the back because the hair there tends to grow very thick and starts stand up by itself so if I were to grow it out the hair wouldn't be the same length across the top of my head.

Now though I'm not too keen on the slickback variation of the undercut I do like some undercut hairstyles like these for example:

[Image: tumblr_m841r0iJBU1qmliego1_500.gif]

[Image: undercut-slight-long-hair.jpg]

[Image: 1376399503_extras_mosaico_noticia_1_g_0.jpg]

Looking at the three pictures that i just chose it seems that I like more spiky-ish haircuts, sorry not very good at explaining myself!

The main problem for me is that I'm worried that these kind of styles won't fit my face shape or hair type so I might need some convincing before I try them out. This would be quite a big change for me if I were to get a haircut like this because Ive never had it this short before(1 year ago a 3 on the sides was really short for me), so that's the reason I'm a bit skeptical.
02-26-2015, 11:23 AM
For a great Undercut hairstyle, first consider your hair type, hairline and length.
The Undercut haircut with the side-parted smooth spikes as you've referenced in the pictures of Gareth Bale, Marcel Nguyen and the male model will suit your face shape, don't worry about it.

About going by one's face shape to decide what men's haircut or hairstyle to get: this is a common mistake that men make as it is a myth that certain haircuts are limited to X shape or Y face shape (pay special attention to how I have underlined the word "are"). There's so much more going on with your face to boil it down to your face shape. Even more, face shape doesn't fall into the common geometric shapes that are usually regurgitated by people trying to fit X and Y hairstyles into a particular face shape. Men's facial shapes aren't black and white, there's a lot of blending going on, as the face is made up (front view) of the upper face, mid-face and lower face.

What I'm trying to get at is that you should not so much worry about your face shape but more about your hair type and current condition of your hair. For example, a male with coiled curly hair (a men's hair type) and a Norwood III isn't going to look very good with an Undercut, no matter how aesthetic his face may look or how his face shape may suit the Undercut haircut. In fact, coiled curly hair to kinky curly hair just doesn't go well with the Undercut, and one is better off choosing the 2 Step Undercut if wanting to have a single-length clipper cut on the sides and back of the head.

Back to your case and the Undercut: the main frontal facial trait to consider with the Undercut is your upper face shape and how vertical your temples are (from the frontal view). If your temple shape is vertical or slightly angled towards your chin, then the Undercut will look great on you. If, on the other hand, your temples are too angled outwards or are circled, the Undercut will not look good on you, and instead one should will look better with a tapered haircut.

By all means, one can try to fit his own face shape into a geometric figure and then use some generic advice to have a rough idea of the range of men's haircuts that will suit him. We do in fact have a very useful face shape and men's haircuts discussion thread with advice on the kind of cuts that favor the different generic face shapes for men. However, don't take your face shape as the main determinant in choosing a haircut or hairstyle. In fact, you can completely avoid taking into account your face shape and instead go by other facial traits such as how strong your jawline is, how prominent your eyebrows are and how big your eyes are. Likewise, do NOT forget that face shape, as per how the myth has been wrongfully spread, only takes into account one third of all your face, since you have the left profile and right profile of your head to take into account too when choosing a haircut (not to mention the left and right 3/4 facial profile). Your jawline, eyebrows, eyes and nose play a huge role in how your face is shaped in 3-dimensions, and you can have all kinds of length combinations or marked-appearance combinations with these facial attributes.

I hope the above helps you in seeing how worrying about your geometric face shape when choosing a hairstyle isn't something you should be doing (not saying that you may; I'm saying "you" generically). Instead, the main determinants in how a haircut or hairstyle will look on a male are hair type, hair length and Norwood scale, which is why books like Rogelio Samson's The Men's Hair Book build upon these characteristics to provide you with a hair ID. Then, you need to take into account that a great haircut (and not just a good haircut) depends on the barber or your own hair-cutting skills, and a great hairstyle (and not just a good hairstyle) depends on your own honed hair-styling skills.

To summarize again, if you want to take into account your face shape for the Undercut, go with how angled or rounded your temples are. In your case, you have slightly angled-out temples, which means that the Undercut will look decent on you (not great) if going by "face shape". On the other hand, you have a "Norwood I" hairline and dense wavy hair with a medium length on the top, which is perfect for the Undercut. Thus, the Undercut will look pretty good on you, as will other hairstyles like the Brush Up hairstyle and the slicked back Undercut hairstyle if you grow your hair a little longer (for the slicked back Undercut, that is).

P.S. I ended up posting a good part of this post as a new thread on male face shapes and hairstyles and haircuts. It's important to bear in mind that there are too many physical traits to consider in someone's overall face shape, so it's much more productive (and effective) to choose a hairstyle or haircut for a male taking into account 3 objective factors: hair type, hair length and hairline! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Regarding hair CUT.. can I wear a side-parted undercut if I had my hair cut for slicked back?? Are the haircuts mutually exclusive?
02-27-2015, 05:13 AM
awesome thx Im going to get my hair cut today actually -so that was some good timing-^^ and ask the barber what he thinks about the undercut and worst comes to worst ill stick with my current haircut

Will update with results!

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hairstyle advice for dry short straight hair with round face shape overprotected 3 138 Yesterday 10:51 PM
Last Post: overprotected
  How to shape 2 Step Undercut Hairstyle with thick hair products Ruadhri 0 59 10-24-2016 01:52 PM
Last Post: Ruadhri
  How to style hair in brush up hairstyle? Picture illustration Wongford 0 119 10-04-2016 06:41 AM
Last Post: Wongford
  High fade haircut help with best hairstyle and receding hairline Cloverpopper 1 1,695 10-04-2015 07:59 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum