Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Wave Oldschool
06-16-2014, 07:59 AM
New Wave Oldschool
Hi all,

I stumbled across The Men's Hair Forum while googling how to manage cowlicks - I have three... and wavy hair when it gets too long. I feel like I'm alway trading off with haircuts. If I go short, the waves are under control, but my cowlicks aren't. If I go long, cowlicks lay down, but the waves come out.

I've been wearing a short side-part for the summer, but would love to grow the top out a bit and slick it back and get something of a quasi-pompadore going. My barber, Maria, can do wicked awesome side-part tapers and any other classic/retro cut no problem - I'm here to find help with maintenance and managment.

I look forward to combing through the threads.

- N

Hair Type - Wavy
Cowlicks - Two in the front, one in the back...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2014, 08:22 AM
RE: New Wave Oldschool
Welcome! Smile

Yes, we have quite a bit of great advice on managing cowlicks from several barbers and experts who are forum members too. As you probably read, the best way to manage cowlicks is with hair length so you will need close to a long length (4 inches or more) to be able to tame the cowlicks without bad aesthetic results.

There is nothing wrong with wavy hair. While it is true that straight hair is easier to style, wavy hair goes very well with most hairstyles too. Read our wavy hairstyles discussion for lots of pictures of wavy hairstyles for men and inspiration. Technically, any hairstyle for straight hair can be also done on wavy hair. You just need to pay a little more attention to your waves with your shampoo and conditioner (click the link for advice on using shampoo and conditioner).

Something important for wavy hair is owning a wide tooth comb. Using a regular comb for wavy hair will not give you aesthetic hair so make sure you have a high-quality and lasting wide-tooth comb like this one here. In any case, you can always straighten your hair with a hair straightener and mold your hair to a straight haired texture any time. If you're interested in a great hair straightener (aka "flat iron"), then we highly recommend this hair straightener for men.

There's lots of options for you with wavy hair, so do not despair. I would certainly recommend you to look into growing your hair as, with 4 to 8 inches of wavy hair, you can recreate some pretty awesome hairstyles! In any case, you're in the best place on the internet for male hair and getting some pretty epic results and ideas. Once you have 11 posts, feel free to open up your own thread in this forum section asking for feedback/advice, which will be very helpful to you if deciding to acquire some length on the top as I mentioned earlier.

Lastly, if you feel overwhelmed with the information in this forum or you need a full resource for reading and reference at any time, then we highly recommend The Men's Hair Book (click the link for more), which is a book written by Rogelio Samson (he browses this forum at times too) and which covers absolutely everything to do with your hair, what it needs and what you want!

Welcome again!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Wow - I can already see this is going to be a very resourceful site. Thank you for the warm welcome and THOROUGH suggestions regarding my hair type. The Men's Hair Book certainly gets a lot of kudos here in the forum - I'll be sure to give it a read.
06-16-2014, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 10:06 AM by ReapeR.)
I have wavy hair too and used to hate them when they got longer. But please trust me and try the "no shampoo" method. Look it up here in the forum or even better in Rogelio's book TMHF suggested above. I m going with this method and feel the difference already, you have to try it. I don't even have to style my hair everyday, they are soft and natural and of course they feel great on touch.

Also open your personal thread, post pictures if u want and ask anything about haircuts that suit you, products, even facial hair advice. TMHF and the guys will give you the best.
06-16-2014, 10:33 AM
(06-16-2014 10:03 AM)ReapeR Wrote:  I have wavy hair too and used to hate them when they got longer. But please trust me and try the "no shampoo" method. Look it up here in the forum or even better in Rogelio's book TMHF suggested above. I m going with this method and feel the difference already, you have to try it...

Thanks for the advice!

I haven't read up on the "no shampoo" method yet, however, I've figured out on my own over the years that my hair looks it's best when I only wash 1-2 times a week - any more than that and it just turns into a thick, dry poof. I just pulled the trigger on the book, so I'll be looking forward to reading up on the no shampoo method soon.
06-17-2014, 10:13 AM
(06-16-2014 10:03 AM)ReapeR Wrote:  I have wavy hair too and used to hate them when they got longer. But please trust me and try the "no shampoo" method. Look it up here in the forum or even better in Rogelio's book TMHF suggested above. I m going with this method and feel the difference already, you have to try it. I don't even have to style my hair everyday, they are soft and natural and of course they feel great on touch.
I second that, that method does wonders to the hair Smile
07-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Read 'The Book' - thoroughly impressed. I'm only about a week and a half into the 'No Shampoo' method, but I'm already starting to see results. I started 1 On/3 Off (well almost - Monday/Thursday really. I find that an easier rhythm to remember than adding up the days in my head, and my shampoo frequency was basically that anyway). Previously on my off days, however, I would just run a comb through my hair rather than sebum coat; and when I did shampoo, I'd lather everything instead of just the scalp - not to mention dry my hair vigorously with a towel - No wonder I had a dead rat poof when I shampooed! I plan to keep the Mon/Thurs frequency for another week, and then try Mon/Fri/Wed (1on/3off/1on/4off/1on/4off) eventually working to just one day a week to see where my optimum frequency falls.

I'm still currently using Head & Shoulders Mens 2in1 Shampo and Conditioner (I know, I know), but I've only recently read "The Men's Hair Book" and checked out the TMHF's 'Best of' products list. I plan to try out some of the more budget friendly shampoos and conditions; and experiment with a few leave-ins (including the bumble and bumble). As for now, the sebum coating and quick styling with my fingers (almost à la Zach Morris) seems to do the trick. I've already had a couple ladies comment, and one run her fingers through my "lovely locks" as she put it (to which I had to laugh to myself, having never referred to my locks as 'locks' until reading the book)

I am now definitely more confident with rocking my waves, and ready to grow them out a bit more (2 1/2 - 3 inches at present). As strange as it may sound, I'd like to get a style somewhere in between Zach Morris and Edward the Vampire - almost James Dean-ish I guess, which doesn't sound strange at all now.

Thanks guys, for the nudge in the right direction.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------