Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never braid your hair again, traction alopecia!
12-14-2013, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 02:20 PM by Jurgen.)
Never braid your hair again, traction alopecia!
The process of braiding hair puts stress in your hair follicles and wearing braids does also stress your follicles and hair strands. The result of badly done braids is hair loss and damaged hair follicles which in the dermatology world is known as traction alopecia.
Your hair follicles can resist day to day stress from combing, fidgeting, sleeping with hair against pillow etc but braiding your hair can put a lot of damaging stress on your follicles. Damaged follicles may or may not recover & be able to produce healthy hair again which can then lead to your hair looking awkward in the future.

If you want to braid your hair, be careful and think twice. Make sure the person braiding your hair treats your hair with care and doesnt leave too much space between tracks. There are some good professionals who can braid hair without damaging it but most dont care about the health of your hair and rush thru the braiding process to get your payment.
I have attached pictures of traction alopecia from hair braids, doesnt look good at all.

Public service announcement over Big GrinBig Grin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2013, 05:12 PM
RE: Never braid your hair again, traction alopecia!
Damn those are some bad bald spots, never been interested in braiding my hair any way so guessing thats one less hair loss thing to worry about for me
12-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Braiding as in cornrows can put an awful amount of stress on the hair follicles and the hair shaft (the structure of the hair strand).

A single braid for long hair is fine and will even protect the hair but the braids and cornrows that are popular among young men are follicle destroyers. If one is to go ahead with braids then

1) Tell the guy/girl braiding your hair to be careful and don't pull the hair too hard.

2) Buy this after braid product and start using it as soon as you have the braids done. This product will help you to keep your hair undamaged from the tension and stress of the braids and it will also help condition your scalp and minimize any itching or burning sensations that you get when you get your braids done. I know black ladies who braid their hair and use that product throughout the entire time span that their hair is braided.

3) Start taking vitamin C if you haven't already. Vitamin C is almost like a miracle cure for bad/damaged hair as it is involved in the process of making the hair inside the follicle and it helps the repairing of the follicle itself. For those interested in vitamin C and who don't have a bottle of it, then get this non-acidic vitamin C bottle.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-17-2013, 10:03 AM
yes I read some serious stuff about traction alopecia and especially its devastating consequences in children

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggest hairstyle for an 18 year old with traction alopecia getting his first haircut Jarmuh 5 2,150 05-15-2015 04:26 PM
Last Post: Jarmuh