Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with a new hairstyle!
03-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Need help with a new hairstyle!
Hi Everyone,

A little about me: 26, working in the marketing field and I manage two professionals, and I like to have fun on the weekends. What I've had for 8 years: a faux hawk. I've recently started growing it out in hopes of going to a salon and changing it up (scheduled for next week).

What I'm looking for: Something easy to do (less than 10 minutes), works both professionally and on the weekends, length isn't too much of an issue but I would like to keep it shorter on the sides (if possible).

Here's a few shots of my current situation: Any recommendations?
[Image: 281bon7.jpg]
[Image: 2m6whz4.jpg]
[Image: 2wdddhf.jpg]
[Image: eulli1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2015, 06:21 AM
RE: Need help with a new hairstyle!
Do I need any other info to help?
03-19-2015, 06:46 AM
Grow your hair long and get a slicked back Undercut!
I can see the current conservative look that you're sporting and why you'd want to change to a trendier hairstyle that fits your job and lifestyle.

A great option for you would be the slicked back Undercut. You'd grow your hair longer to about 6 inches, while you keep the sides and back of the head very short with a single hair clipper length (i.e. an Undercut haircut).

The slicked back Undercut is also a very easy to style hairstyle. It would take you far less than 10 minutes in the morning as you will only be styling the hair on the top since there's no hair to style on the sides and back of the head. That's one of the reasons for its popularity, and you will certainly be able to keep yourself trendy on the weekends with such a hairstyle Smile

Hair products to style the slick back Undercut are mainly pomades. I recommend that you use a water-based pomade, especially since you mention not wanting to spend a lot of time in the bathroom styling your hair.

With regards to which water-based pomades to buy for your slicked back Undercut, well, if you want a shiny (but not mega shiny) look with your hair slicked back, then get THIS pomade (or if you're in the UK, get it from HERE). On the other hand, if you want a less shiny and more wet look style (hair looks wet and slicked, but not as shiny as previous pomade), then go with THIS other pomade (or if you're in the UK, get it from HERE).

Either of the two pomades above will be excellent options for you. Ideally and if possible, get both pomades so that you can see which one you like the most and you have two pomades to style with depending on the look you want to go for. That's what many forum members (myself included) do as the more products with different textures you have, the better for a wide hairstyle range.

Continue growing your hair for a month, don't get a haircut just yet. After a month, go to the barber and tell him to give you an Undercut haircut. Tell him you don't want him to cut the hair on the top of the head, to only to cut the hair on the sides and back of the head with a short hair clipper number. Tell him you want a "number 2" done on the sides and back of your head.

Once you get that haircut in a month, com back and update us with your pictures to see that everything is going fine. What you will do from them onwards is to continue growing the hair on the top of your head while getting an Undercut every 3 weeks. With your current length, you will get to 6 inches of hair length in about 8 months. However, you can start slicking your hair with the pomades from this very moment, so it's good to have them now so you can play around with them as your hair continues to grow.

You may find that once you have 4 or 5 inches of hair length on the top of the head, you may like it too much and won't want to grow the extra couple of inches. That's fine and it's after all whatever you feel most comfortable with! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-19-2015, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2015 08:12 AM by Hairucation.)
Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to explain the why behind this haircut being a preferred one for me?

Perhaps I'm just nervous about such a transition.
03-25-2015, 11:29 AM
(03-19-2015 08:09 AM)Hairucation Wrote:  Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to explain the why behind this haircut being a preferred one for me?

Perhaps I'm just nervous about such a transition.

So just about 10 days later from these photos I've made an appointment at a salon who does men's hair. Any other suggestions before I go on Saturday? I'm not in love with the slicked back look.. I don't think it would look that great on me.
03-26-2015, 03:01 PM
I think you have a oval face shape, so typing on the internet oval face shape hairstyles will get you alot of styles. Your hair isnt too thick or thin, just medium, so you`ve got that going which is nice. A short style is easy to find, but its more about what you want. I cant give any suggestions because im not that experienced.
03-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Thanks man, I'll try and update at some point tomorrow.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is my face shape and how do I choose my hairstyle? gamershawk 0 85 11-16-2016 06:46 AM
Last Post: gamershawk
  Hairstyle advice for dry short straight hair with round face shape overprotected 4 233 10-28-2016 02:24 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  How to shape 2 Step Undercut Hairstyle with thick hair products Ruadhri 0 140 10-24-2016 01:52 PM
Last Post: Ruadhri
  How to style hair in brush up hairstyle? Picture illustration Wongford 0 170 10-04-2016 06:41 AM
Last Post: Wongford